Also new to the board

Greetings to you all,

I am an English guy currently living in Melbourne & have been following this board for a while, lot's of interesting topics and information on here so I thought I had better join as I am hoping to settle in RP sometime in the not too distant future.

cheers

ILPI

Jess Bartone
welcome.gif to the forums ILPI, nice to hear from a fellow Melburnian.

welcome.gif to the forums ILPI, nice to hear from a fellow Melburnian.

Thanks for that Jesse, I am sure you will have some sound advice with regards to travel to and from Melbourne & best deals etc.

Jess Bartone

Thanks for that Jesse, I am sure you will have some sound advice with regards to travel to and from Melbourne & best deals etc.

Ok, in my humble opinion... I got tired very quickly of all the take offs and landings, criss-crossing Asia, just to get the best deal, saving, at best, a few hundred dollars. So now I just go straight to the Philippine Airlines website and book directly with them. You check your luggage in at Tulla, and pick it up at... in my case Cagayan de Oro or Butuan... wherever you're going, and so far no hassles. At this time of year you can get Mabuhay (business) class for a little over 2 grand return, with 32kg baggage allowance from check in to destination, or on Fiesta (cattle) class, 23kg. Some people post endless questions about how much can I carry... what about domestic allowance, it's only 15 kilo... what if.... on and on. Forget all the BS and just stick with Philippine Airlines. You can join their "Mabuhay Miles" frequent flyer program, notching up points every time you fly.

The other thing to note is that if you fly Mabuhay class, you get to use the Qantas business lounge in Melbourne, and the Philair lounge in Manila... free booze (if that's your thing) and free food, very nice array both ends.

The other thing I like is the cultural experience you have on the plane, kind of puts you in the mood for where you are going. I love the accent.

Ok, in my humble opinion... I got tired very quickly of all the take offs and landings, criss-crossing Asia, just to get the best deal, saving, at best, a few hundred dollars. So now I just go straight to the Philippine Airlines website and book directly with them. You check your luggage in at Tulla, and pick it up at... in my case Cagayan de Oro or Butuan... wherever you're going, and so far no hassles. At this time of year you can get Mabuhay (business) class for a little over 2 grand return, with 32kg baggage allowance from check in to destination, or on Fiesta (cattle) class, 23kg. Some people post endless questions about how much can I carry... what about domestic allowance, it's only 15 kilo... what if.... on and on. Forget all the BS and just stick with Philippine Airlines. You can join their "Mabuhay Miles" frequent flyer program, notching up points every time you fly.

The other thing to note is that if you fly Mabuhay class, you get to use the Qantas business lounge in Melbourne, and the Philair lounge in Manila... free booze (if that's your thing) and free food, very nice array both ends.

The other thing I like is the cultural experience you have on the plane, kind of puts you in the mood for where you are going. I love the accent.

[/quote.]

ok. I've been using Pal for most flights... the odd Quantas if it suits my timing....but as you know....time of the year is everything...I once had an itinery set up using Malaysian and Cebu pacific but the time spent in Singapore was not worth it....could have saved about $600 at the time....I travel to Tacloban & then drive down to Maasin, So. Leyte as a rule..

Jess Bartone

One of my chat friends is from Maasin, Southern Leyte. She sends me offline messages in Yahoo sometimes, but I don't reply, due to ethical reasons (I'm married), but she was a very nice lady, and Maasin sounds like a nice place. I plan on doing the Nautical highway with my wife some day, would like to stop overnight in Maasin, just to see what I missed out on (Joke lang).

Caveat Emptor
;) to the forum! Keep your posts coming. Cheers! ;)