SkyMan

when do you expect to begin on it?

Sorry I missed this question before. Buying land (and getting all the legal stuff done) takes forever here in the Philippines. I have a good lawyer who is handling the details for me (like getting the title transfered to my wife's maiden name, since we weren't married when we bought the property, and making sure that all the taxes and fees are paid during the transfer). We took care of the long-term lease and rent at that time as well. We should get a certified true copy of the title in the next couple of weeks. I am trying to find some decent contractors in the Danao area, so I can put the plans out for bid. I will get at least three contractors to bid the project (and tell them there are others bidding), so they give me a competitive bid. I think that is the surest way to avoid Kano pricing. It would be better if I could supervise the construction myself, but I have an apartment in Bulacao (one-year lease) and the lot is in Danao. It's a bit too far to be bouncing back and forth every day. I'm hoping to start construction by April or May.

I would suggest if you're not there every day then I would surely be there every other day. You need to see things are moving along on schedule and you need to be able to spot something going wrong early. The new bridge to Liloan will save your commute a lot of time. I personally wouldn't start anything until I moved to or near Danao to keep watch.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Headshot

• fanboat

• Turbota

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

SkyMan

let me also add some of my obsevations which are just MHO and you can take or toss them as you like.

Upstairs: If you eventually fill the 4 bedrooms with kids it may be hectic getting them all ready for school at the same time with one bathroom. I would try to have two so you could have a boys and girls room but i'm pretty sure you'd have to increasse the house size to do that. Two of the bedrooms have no access to the terrace so there will have to be some pass through arrangement.

Downstairs: What is the room on the upper left? I like the way this is laid out except I can't figure out where to put the TV in the Living Room. The living room set faces a closet door, the stairs, the bathroom door. There is a small wall for the bathroom but a TV there would block the entry door. Perhaps get rid of the chair, put the loveseat where the chair is and the TV where the loveseat is.

Glad you're a ceiling fan lover too. If all of those are on at the same time your house might slide off the foundations. Hahahahaha

Looks good though. A lot of thought there.

fanboat

A linr item description of itemms included is what it takes to finalize a total cost of construction(about 75 line items)

the down stairs living area should have a complete system to open up to the swimmming pool(as in by pass sliding doors...also install seats in the pool,so you can serve coctails...and ocean view would be nice?

Have you any rough estimate as to what you think it will cost? Any details on the construction materials you want to use for strength?

Headshot

Which specific part of Danao? My wife is from that area.

I assume that the lot wa bought with only a tax declaration and you process for the title as most lost in Danao are not titled.

As to the start date, I suggest you wait until June or buy the bulk of material in that time when the prices goes down. Just start monitoring prices.

I just found out that Holcim cement is now marketed here and are priced lower than Apo.

Portland is at P200 while Apo is above P210.

Good Luck in your project.

Our lot is in Tabok. It is flat and has a lot of banana trees right now. It is on a cement road (a non-gated subdivision) that you can enter or exit from either end. The lot (its actually two adjoining lots) is titled. I would never buy any land that was tax declaration only. Thanks for the suggestions on scheduling and materials.

Headshot

Very impressive design. I LOVE it. I would extend the roof line for shade, add solar power and water heater on the roof. Add a mud room and give REAL thought to window tints for UV etc. Other than that it is GREAT.

What did you use to draft it up?

Thanks for the compliments. I use the Architectural Home Designer program, which I have found is somewhat limiting. I haven't figured out how to make arched openings, so the are just shown in the perspective as squared openings. The roof extends over the balcony areas, so there should be plenty of shade. I am actually planning on solar voltaic generation on the roof, but the CAD program doesn't have that as an option, so I will be talking with my architect on that. The plan also doesn't show that I will be drilling a deep well on the property. With solar power and a deep well, I won't have to worry about the unreliable power grid here or the questionable water system. There is sewer available at the front of the lot, so I don't have to worry about that. A mud room really isn't necessary, as there will be an outdoor shower on the side of the pump/pool house and there is an entry into the utility room in the back of the house (where there is a laundry tub). For me, electric in-line water heaters seem to be the way to go. You are only heating water when you need it. On the windows, I will probably us jalousie windows throughout the house. For some reason, when the tax assessor here assesses a property, any windows other than jalousie are looked on as luxury items and will raise your property taxes. That pretty much eliminates the possibility of any high-tech coatings.

Headshot

A linr item description of itemms included is what it takes to finalize a total cost of construction(about 75 line items)

the down stairs living area should have a complete system to open up to the swimmming pool(as in by pass sliding doors...also install seats in the pool,so you can serve coctails...and ocean view would be nice?

Hahaha...you have a great sense of humor. An ocean view would be nice. My lot is about a klick from the ocean on flat land, so not much of an ocean view, I'm afraid. I have sliding glass doors opening up to the pool area, but I think I will stay away from the sliding glass wall scenario. I do have the covered upstairs balconies overlooking the pool area, so we can keep an eye on kids in the pool while we enjoy the outdoors without inviting the outdoors into the house. There is also a covered downstairs veranda, which serves the same purpose.

Headshot

let me also add some of my obsevations which are just MHO and you can take or toss them as you like.

Upstairs: If you eventually fill the 4 bedrooms with kids it may be hectic getting them all ready for school at the same time with one bathroom. I would try to have two so you could have a boys and girls room but i'm pretty sure you'd have to increasse the house size to do that. Two of the bedrooms have no access to the terrace so there will have to be some pass through arrangement.

Downstairs: What is the room on the upper left? I like the way this is laid out except I can't figure out where to put the TV in the Living Room. The living room set faces a closet door, the stairs, the bathroom door. There is a small wall for the bathroom but a TV there would block the entry door. Perhaps get rid of the chair, put the loveseat where the chair is and the TV where the loveseat is.

Glad you're a ceiling fan lover too. If all of those are on at the same time your house might slide off the foundations. Hahahahaha

Looks good though. A lot of thought there.

Skyman, I think you and I think quite a bit alike (must be our backgrounds showing). One of the bedrooms will be for a guest room (so not used a lot. One will be for a nanny. We are only planning on a couple of children (of course that could change). I thought about putting in another bath upstairs, but I don't want to spoil everyone. There is another full bath downstairs, as well as one for the maid's room and one in the master suite. The room at the upper-left downstairs is a study/computer room. My thoughts were to mount a flat-screen TV above the closet door between the stairs and kitchen. I'm really not a big fan of watching a lot of TV in the living room anyway. Or, I could replace the one chair with a TV if that becomes an issue (and I can put an extra jack there). Putting the furniture in the house plan just gives you a place to start anyway. It lets you know your furniture will fit. There will also be TV jacks in all of the bedrooms upstairs (then I will choose which to actually hook up to TVs). I do love ceiling fans, and all of the rooms will have tray ceilings with 10-foot centers and uplighting around the edges in addition to the lights on the fans. I am building the house to have central air (which will be ducted around the tray ceilings), but if the fans work well, we may never have to turn it on. The tray ceilings give you a lot of room for utility runs of all sorts. As for being on-site during construction, I have another project to finish in Dumlog (Talisay City) before I start on the house in Danao. When I do start construction in Danao, I will either get a room nearby, so I'm not driving back and forth every day, or we will just move. My present lease (in Bulacao) is up in October. I would rather do this house right than do it fast (although my wife may see things differently). If it requires waiting to start until I can move to Danao (or at least closer), then that is what I will do. Thanks for the well-thought-out suggestions.

Headshot

Have you any rough estimate as to what you think it will cost? Any details on the construction materials you want to use for strength?

Guessing at the cost at this stage would be a total crap shoot. If the contractor I am using for my project in Dumlog works out, then I may use him again for the Danao project. If so, I will be able to get a pretty close cost estimate pretty soon. If the cost is more than I have readily available right now, then I could build the project in stages (house, garage, pool, perimeter wall, landscaping). I don't really think that will be a problem though.

Come on Headshot, give us a crap shot figure.........because if you do not have one............then you have got big problems from the get go......This is the Philippines.......you can tell us what you think it will cost to build. We will tell you what we think.......now thats the whole purpose of this.....right? First off.......how many square feet of finished interior....or sq. meters if you insist, and how many sq. ft of covered exterior living area. How many baths.......at the end project. What is your intended roofing and what is your intended interior walls, floor and ceiling covering materials? Then, I will bet you, me or someone else here will put you within 100,000 peso's of the finished price. Excluding landscaping. What you say......whats your magic figure?

Guessing at the cost at this stage would be a total crap shoot. If the contractor I am using for my project in Dumlog works out, then I may use him again for the Danao project. If so, I will be able to get a pretty close cost estimate pretty soon. If the cost is more than I have readily available right now, then I could build the project in stages (house, garage, pool, perimeter wall, landscaping). I don't really think that will be a problem though.

Headshot

OK...I'll give you a rough estimate. The house has 302 square meters of finished interior floor space (both floors combined). That is on the plans that are attached to the OP. The roof will be metal (probably standing seam, but I may go for the stuff that simulates tile roof). Right now, I am waffling between using steel I-beam post and beam with light steel framing (formed steel studs) for exterior walls and light steel interior walls or steel-reinforced concrete post and beam with reinforced concrete block construction for the exterior walls and light steel framing for the interior walls. All of the roof framing will be steel. Depending on how the wall is built, the interior surfaces will either be a smooth concrete or smooth plaster finish. The exterior surfaces will be rough stucco with some stonework. All rooms will have tray ceilings with 10-foot centers and 8-foot perimetrs. All utilities will be run through these dropped areas. I have 6 million pesos to spend this year, and will have an extra million a year for the next several years if I need to finish the construction in stages. I have seen a house that is a similar size and design in a gated community in Cebu City for 6 million (with the land included in the price but no pool or perimeter wall and no covered balconies), but I have already purchased the land. I'm guessing that by the time I finish the house, wall and pool, I will be into it between 7 and 8 million pesos (not including the land price). My plan is to finish the house this year, and to finish the pool and wall afterwards. Of course, if the house comes in at less than I've anticipated, then I can do more this year. But, this is just my rough estimate anyway.

Edited by Headshot
musicman666

... finally something that can acctually work...talking about designs on this forum!

Edited by musicman666
Headshot

... finally something that can acctually work...talking about designs on this forum!

So...I take it you like my design.

Edited by Headshot
Headshot

Here are my specifications so far:

Steel-reinforced concrete slab floor construction (single pour)

Exterior walls covered with colorized stucco (some stone veneer trim)

All windows with functioning storm shutters (except living room window under front veranda)

Verandas with arched openings (with roll-up steel doors on interior side)

Smooth concrete or marble railings and balusters in all arches where foot or vehicular traffic is not planned

Exterior ceramic tile on all veranda and balcony floors

All interior walls formed-steel-framing or concrete

Ceramic tile floors throughout interior (except bathrooms)

Stone tile floors on all bathroom floors (except maids quarters)

All tilles laid at a 45-degree angle to walls

10-foot tray ceilings in all rooms with 8-foot perimeter ceilings

Uplighting on ledges around all tray ceilings on dimmer switches

All utilities (electricity, water, phone, TV, AC ducting) routed through perimeter ceilings wherever possible

All sewer drops will be vented through the roof

All sewer lines will have p-traps and cleanout accesses

Driven 8-foot copper ground rod connected to main breaker with all ground wires tied back to the central ground

All wiring in concrete or steel framing run in plastic conduit

All wiring will be run with ground wire (3-wire)

All outlets will have ground connections (American-style outlets)

All outlets within two meters of a water source (kitchen, bathrooms and utility room) will be GCFI outlets

All outlets on verandas and balconies (kitchen, bathrooms and utility room) will be GCFI outlets with exterior covers

All wall outlets (not over counters) will be installed 12-inches from the floor to the bottom of the outlet box

All oulet boxes will be installed in the vertical position

All interior wall surfaces and ceiling perimeter surfaces will be finished with smooth or textured plaster

Crown molding throughout home

6-inch base molding will be installed throughout the home on all walls

Crown molding will be installed wherever practical

Central air conditioning to all rooms

Automatic water softener

Water purification system

Standing-seam coated steel roof with matching soffit and trim

Lined concrete water cistern buried in yard to catch rainwater from roof drains

Metal rain gutter and drains directed to underground cistern

In-line water heaters

Professional raised-panel wood cabinets in kitchen and baths

Granite countertops in kitchen and baths

Garage door with automatic garage door opener

Wired for flat panel TVs in living room and master bedroom

TV jacks in all bedrooms

10-foot by 30-foot by 3-foot to 6-foot swimming pool

Ceramic tile trim around swimming pool

Colorized stamped concrete or tile patio around swimming pool

fanboat

Looks good,

Ken Smith built a house in Talisay...one of the workers was using a skill saw and he cut of 3 fingers...he went to the hospital with the 3 fingers,but no money...it was 4 hours before ken found out what was going on...by than the fingers were trash.

ken paid the hospital bill....and bought the worker a new tricycle...but this was not enough after a year and the family wanted more money?

I wonder if you can buy insurance for the workers?