Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

What type of business can you run?

dustybookend

This clearly shows that there are many barriers to running a business that suppies the domestic market.

One area where foreign ownership is not just allowed, but encouraged, is exporting.

Either of locally made products, or manufacture/assembly and subsequent export.

In such cases, there are advantages to being on an official Export Zone, many of which are run by PEZA, the Philippine Export Zone Authority.

The first of these was started by Marcos, at Bataan, and run by EPZA (the forerunner of PEZA).

I will just add that, in my numerous dealings with them, I have always found them honest and easy to work with.

My very limited experience with SBMA (Subic) and Clark is that the zone land has been long term leased at attractive rates to third parties who will then lease it to prospective renters at very inflated prices.

A high profit margin manufacturer such as pharma or electronics may well find the cheap labour and minimal customs restrictions of benefit.

At the time I was interested in high tech labour intensive low margin product and the rents made it uncompetitive or at least too risky for a startup.

Perhaps the situation is different in other zones.

mikej

Another note, the SEGV (special employment generation visa) has been repealed, not that getting the visa was necessary to be in the country.

Where did you hear this?. Called them just a few weeks ago and everything seems just fine?.

spydoo

Able to quote official source? Easier for everyone to refer in depth :)

Where did you hear this?. Called them just a few weeks ago and everything seems just fine?.

I'm very sorry, I believe I posted incorrect information. I'll ask if a mod would remove it for me.

It was suspended in July 2011 then resumed in January 2012. I must have read something posted in the gap. Again, sorry.

http://news.pia.gov.ph/index.php?article=231327483711

dHb

Has anyone here gone through a lawyer to apply for a 13a visa?

maximian

Has anyone here gone through a lawyer to apply for a 13a visa?

Why would you use a lawyer? Seems the process is fairly straightforward these days. It was much more fun in the 80's and 90's.

• Like 1