Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

What type of business can you run?

Ozepete

I would not get involved in any business in the Phils that relies on local markets, except agriculture. (Rip off scam artists would thrive, but only suitable for those without a conscience)

We are setting up to manufacture/ assemble small items in Cebu to export.

My wife (The MD!) has been in Cebu for weeks completing the requirements and we are still not sure if the idea will be viable, only time will tell.

If this test period ahead works well, we are considering relocating completely to Cebu.

Also must say that although they have some strange restrictions there, if you think the regulations are difficult in the Philippines try running a business in Australia these days.

It's nearly a full time job keeping up with the bullshit regulations and taxes they keep dreaming up let alone having to pay the fees to keep these parasites going! (You guessed it... totally pissed off in Oz) voodoo.gif

Cheers...

• Like 3

Stranded Shipscook

So, I guess I as a Board Certified and Licensed Clinical Social Worker could NOT establish a private practice in the phils upon my imminent retirement from U. S. federal service?

i send you a joblink in your field as a pm as soon as the software allows it. at around 11pm

trthebees

I see that the question of setting up a business has come up on a current forum. But I've posted here as the information on proscribed professions is given here by Alan S.

It seems clear that the permission to work given by the 13a visa is completely trumped by the list of reserved professions.

Somewhat of a hypothetical consideration for me as I'm early sixties, but a bit of a put-off for anyone younger wanting to make a full life here. Although there was a short-course technical instructor vacancy in a rather specifialised field I eyed up. But it was in Manila, nothing too bad about that, but it turned out to be for 10 Saturdays. Clearly I'd have been ineligible anyway.

sngbm87

So a filipino has to own 40% of your condo if it's for rent and business? how do you register a rental condo here with BIR and barangay and all that or do the taxes? or are you exempt if it's just one unit?

tobster

So is my Jai-alai business selling numbers which funds the local drug and prostitution in my area is ok

Curby

We are setting up to manufacture/ assemble small items in Cebu to export.

My wife (The MD!) has been in Cebu for weeks completing the requirements and we are still not sure if the idea will be viable, only time will tell.

Ozepete, what was your experience with this venture?

Cannonball

For me personally I have always jumped through the hoops and done it legally for any business I have started of late. I've tried the trust me I'm a Honorable partner approach in times past with other ventures and they were an excellent and expensive learning curve because there is no Honor here when it comes to money, the ones that cost you the most you never forget and thus were a good lesson. My wife and kids own everything and when folks ask I am just an unemployed beach bum living off a rich Filipina, they usually walk away confused and talking to themselves. But I will never do another partnership with anyone outside my wife and kids in this country or lifetime. Food for thought Guys, I hope this was helpful.

• Like 5

broden

i intend to only get involved in monkey business

Skywalker

In all the years I lived in Thailand I was approached many times to set up various businesses. I always refused, although I did do some consulting privately (for cash!).

I wouldn't do any business in the region, with the possible exception of Singapore. However, I am happily retired(ish) and have no intention of doing any business in RP.

I don't envy those that try businesses here, they almost always fail for many reasons.

phgogetter

The List A is outdated. There is a newer version

smokey

So is my Jai-alai business selling numbers which funds the local drug and prostitution in my area is ok

but you cant sell on sunday its a law i think 

Alan S

Not so. It is a retail sales operation and therefore limited to Filipinos.

phgogetter

Another note, the SEGV (special employment generation visa) has been repealed, not that getting the visa was necessary to be in the country.

Able to quote official source? Easier for everyone to refer in depth :)

Sonny

Damn_____and I was going to put in a drycleaners !

dustybookend

Is there a difference in Philippine law between practising a profession,and presumably being paid, and doing it as a hobby.

For instance if you were having a house built could you legally opt to do some of the trades yourself (such as roofing, electrics, plumbing) or would be be illegal because it takes work away from a local? 

What about servicing your own vehicle?

Or making your own fish tank?

In Thailand all the above would be illegal without the relevent work permit as you would be deemed to be working.