Sign in to follow this  
Alan S

What type of business can you run?

JoeK

Being congenitally honest but only indifferently legal I have no ethical objections to violating the list of prohibited occupations. The problem then becomes involuntary partnership with local law enforcement. Any noticeable degree of success is going to result in a cop with his hand out looking for a cut of the take.

While I would never seek advice on breaking the law in a public forum, does anyone here have some gossip regarding informal exemptions to formal restrictions? Are the local cops so greedy that even graft is more expensive than getting the proper permits?

Cary

Thanks Alan

Baldy

Are there any need for a Gigolo? :rolleyes:

JamesMusslewhite

Are there any need for a Gigolo? :search4:

Yes, but the long line for applications starts over on the left.

Frosty

Are there any need for a Gigolo? search4.gif

Tried it ... no demand

my favorite massage parlor was bought by a French man.. married to a Filipina

Edited by LeoL

NittanyLion

This might be misleading you...talk to an expert. That's what I did.

I recommend talking to Judah (Israeli) at Triple I Consulting in Makati. He's finishing up my business registration next week when he gets back from the USA. Then he'll process my 9G business visa. All totally legal and legitimate. I wouldn't do it any other way.

Their website is down due to its being updated...but in the meantime you can find some info about their services and contact: http://www.hotfrog.p...gistration-4505

Alternatively, you can talk to Kittleson & Carpo...they're very qualified, but super expensive. http://www.kittelson...ss-registration

Also, you can go talk to any Filipino lawyer who does corporate work. But, honestly, I feel more comfortable with a foreignor...and Judah is young (about 30), but a guy you can trust.

Ah... this all is quite horrible.

In this "business environment" all I can do is exporting mango and coconut... :shit_stirrer:

Balintawak

Firstly figure out whats profitable then secondly go for it. You can in fact run any business you like but most are shait. You can protect your business through a setup of 3 corps or place 60% in your wife or other pinoy people. Somethings a foreigner cant do or be, as in need of a licence and so on only a pinoy can have or facing a certain group of people that would suck your money by being pale face. But that dont mean you still cant run a business.. Heck, I do!

smokey

So, I guess I as a Board Certified and Licensed Clinical Social Worker could NOT establish a private practice in the phils upon my imminent retirement from U. S. federal service?

there are a few chiropractors

smokey

Are there any need for a Gigolo? :search4:

the guy who was with Belo has been fired maybe she is looking for a new boy toy

Alan S
This might be misleading you.

Possibly, but it IS the law.

Putting a company in someone elses name can fall foul of the anti-dummy law, and if it is in a wifes name, then it really isnt your business.

(And you have to beware of other laws limiting you working for her.)

No matter what ones opinion, it certainly isnt as easy as it is in the UK/US/wherever, so it is not safe to assume that any expat can just start a business like he would do "back home".

NittanyLion

By looking at the post of the law, the reader thought he couldn't do any business here other than selling coconuts. That's an incorrect assumption, and also why I advised him to seek out an expert.

The fact is that he can a undertake a variety of businesses without skirting any laws...it's just that foreign ownership is limited, unless you have $200,000 USD capital to put up.

To quote you, "...and you have to beware of other laws limiting you working for her (the wife)." Exactly, that's more reason to go talk a professional.

This might be misleading you.

Possibly, but it IS the law.

Putting a company in someone elses name can fall foul of the anti-dummy law, and if it is in a wifes name, then it really isnt your business.

(And you have to beware of other laws limiting you working for her.)

No matter what ones opinion, it certainly isnt as easy as it is in the UK/US/wherever, so it is not safe to assume that any expat can just start a business like he would do "back home".

Edited by NittanyLion

Balintawak

Of course you can open a practice, but you need a staff that has the needed licenses.

Alan S

My personal experience is with businesses on the export zones, and that is both the easy area to get involved in and also the most welcomed by the Philippine authorities.

Most other things depend upon skirting ones way round innumerable rules.

dc3driver

Re # 8

I always wanted to run (or be in) a cockpit...sigh....

ANNEX A <NO FOREIGN OWNERSHIP>

LIST A: FOREIGN OWNERSHIP IS LIMITED BY

MANDATE OF THE CONSTITUTION AND

SPECIFIC LAWS

No Foreign Equity

1. Mass Media except recording (Art. XVI, Sec. 11 of the Constitution; Presidential

Memorandum dated 04 May 1994)

2. Practice of all professions

(Note:1 This is limited to Filipino citizens save in cases prescribed by law)

a) Engineering

i. Aeronautical

ii. Agricultural

iii. Chemical

iv. Civil

v. Electrical

vi. Electronics and

Communication

vii. Geodetic

viii. Mechanical

ix. Metallurgical

x. Mining

xi. Naval Architecture and

Marine

xii. Sanitary

:welcome2: Medicine and Allied Professions

Medicine and Allied Professions

i. Medicine

ii. Medical Technology

iii. Dentistry

iv. Midwifery

v. Nursing

vi. Nutrition and Dietetics

vii. Optometry

viii. Pharmacy

ix. Physical and Occupational

Therapy

x. Radiologic and X-ray

Technology

xi. Veterinary Medicine

c) Accountancy

d) Architecture

e) Criminology

f) Chemistry

g) Customs Brokerage

h) Environmental Planning

i) Forestry

j) Geology

k) Interior Design

l) Landscape Architecture

m) Law

n) Librarianship

o) Marine Deck Officers

p) Marine Engine Officers

q) Master Plumbing

r) Sugar Technology

s) Social Work

t) Teaching

u) Agriculture

v) Fisheries

(Art. XII, Sec. 14 of the Constitution; Sec. 1 of RA

5181)

3. Retail trade enterprises with paid-up capital

of less than US$2,500,000(Sec. 5 of RA 8762)

4. Cooperatives (Ch. III, Art. 26 of RA 6938)

5. Private Security Agencies (Sec. 4 of RA5487)

6. Small-scale Mining (Sec. 3 of RA 7076)

7. Utilization of Marine Resources in archipelagic waters, territorial sea, and exclusive economic zone as well as small scale utilization of natural resources in

rivers, lakes, bays, and lagoons (Art. XII,Sec. 2 of the Constitution)

8. Ownership, operation and management of cockpits (Sec. 5 of PD 449)

9. Manufacture, repair, stockpiling and/or distribution of nuclear weapons (Art. II, Sec. 8 of the Constitution)

10. Manufacture, repair, stockpiling and/or distribution of biological, chemical and radiological weapons and anti-personnel mines (Various treaties to which the

Philippines is a signatory and conventions supported by the Philippines)

11. Manufacture of firecrackers and other pyrotechnic devices (Sec. 5 of RA 7183)

dc3driver

Yes, you have to que up behind James!!

Yes, but the long line for applications starts over on the left.