USA to Cebu - best airline?

RetiredNavyGuy

I also like Cathay. ...and for my trip at the end of the month, if I didn't want to arrive in Mactan at 2300, they were the cheapest. Have a 3 hour layover in HK, but its breakfast time (local), so I don't think that's bad at all.

QUESTION about Mactan. Do they have luggage carts we can take all the way through Customs and Immigration? Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to fight two suitcases plus the carryon.

At Mactan, you go thru Immigration before you pick up your luggage. They have free luggage carts readily available and you can get a porter to help if you need it when you clear customs. Smile at both the Immigration and Customs officers and act like you're happy to be here and you will lessen your chances of a hassle. If you can manage it, cross the parking lot and climb the ramp to the Departure level of the terminal. Walk outside and catch a cab dropping off a passenger. You can often save a chunk of change that way. Just be sure he uses the meter. Since you are retired from the canoe club, be sure to check in with the RAO. They are located in the Crown Building behind Sun Gold Furniture across from SM City Mall. The phone number is 232-3556 and the Director is John Lane, a retired Marine mustang captain. Also, in the departure level of Hong Kong Airport is a Burger King that serves a pretty decent breakfast. Welcome to Cebu and I hope you enjoy your stay. This IS NOT Olongapo or Angeles, it's much better. So if you keep your wits about you and use common courtesies you will probably never have a problem. You should probably avoid the Colon area until you get your feet on the ground. CPO USN Retired and loving it in Cebu. :)

the yellow cab is the best deal in town ..they just get you home asap... sure you could haggle a few pesos from the guys at the top of the ramp.. but get real.. you spent a whole ton of cash getting to cebu and now you want to duck and dive for chump change??

I agree, however, in this case, I'll probably use the hotel's shuttle since I don't have a home - yet.:biggrin_01:

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tim

• musicman666

• RetiredNavyGuy

• RogerDuMond

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PAL first class is my choice because of the direct flight connection, first class keeps you seperated from the masses of working class people and gets you the attention from the cute stewardesses you

SkyMan

I also like Cathay. ...and for my trip at the end of the month, if I didn't want to arrive in Mactan at 2300, they were the cheapest. Have a 3 hour layover in HK, but its breakfast time (local), so I don't think that's bad at all.

QUESTION about Mactan. Do they have luggage carts we can take all the way through Customs and Immigration? Otherwise, I'm not sure I want to fight two suitcases plus the carryon.

i love useing Korean Airlines from chicago to cebu.. i will never go through manila again...

I fly from Vancouver to Manila non stop. The plane comes from Vegas. Not sure about the LAX flight, the PAL web site says non stop. Why would they stop from LAX when Vancouver is non stop?

My last trip July 13th - Flew Delta from Twin Cities to Vegas - got free flight with miles - then on PAL Vegas to Vancouver to Manila and then Manila to Cebu - good price - wasn't feeling well and one of my sisters footed an upgrade to First Class - that was nice -

It was on the schedule to stop in Guam, but we didn't

I am going to check out the other suggestions - Thanks to all

TheMatrix

Why would they stop from LAX when Vancouver is non stop?

It's all to do with the curvature of the Earth and Great Circles, Chris!

Mark

I thought it had to do with jet streams. From LAX to Manila, you are flying against the wind (headwind). From the more northern route, you slip into the jet stream tailwind.

Hello Everyone,

For my October 2010 flight to Cebu, I am booked on PAL out of LAX. I transfer in Manila onto a PAL plane and then on to Cebu.

While researching flights, I noticed that all the flights that avoided Manila Airport flew out of Hong Kong or Seoul Korea after arriving from the U.S. However, the lay over in the two countries was always anywhere from 10 to 14 hours or more. I have heard that it is best to avoid the Manila Airport at all costs, however, I don't want to add the additional 14 hours of lay-over to my travel time.

My questions are as follows:

#1: Does anyone have an idea why there is such a long layover in the two countries that I mentioned.

#2: Are there any mini-hotels near the airports in the two countries that offer a small day room where a traveler can rest for 10-14 hours cheaply. I would hate to just sit on a bench in the airport for such a long time.

Thanks, FLYNT

On my last two flights with Korean air I had no layover at all. On this trip I only have 1hr and 5 minutes in Souel to catch my plane to Cebu. I stopped using online booking since I found a great travel agent in the US who can meet or beat any online price. The problem with her is she barely gives me any time to get from one plane to the next.

tom_shor

On my last two flights with Korean air I had no layover at all. On this trip I only have 1hr and 5 minutes in Souel to catch my plane to Cebu. I stopped using online booking since I found a great travel agent in the US who can meet or beat any online price. The problem with her is she barely gives me any time to get from one plane to the next.

Can you provide me with contact information for your travel agent here in the U.S.

I would like to contact her for my next trip to Cebu.

Thank you, Eric Flynt

We have been flying Memphis to Cebu with KAL/Delta from Mphs to Atlanta to Seoul to Cebu. not more than 3 hours wait for any transfer. In Seoul U can get a burger king or KFC and they do take US dollars... but do not expect any change... but it is easier than going to the money exchangers in the airport. I got a whopper (that was very good) for 5 usd. Hell U pay almost 4 dollars for one here in Memphis. So that was not that bad.

Also, U can go to the information desk in the Seoul Airport and give them your boarding pass and they will give U a voltage adapter that u can use to recharge your laptops, ipods..etc... from their wall electrical outlets... for free. when u are finish just take the adapter back and get your boarding pass back. really nice...

I use Jeff Jenks and he has always got us good tickets... Kal also gives free checkin (2 at 50 lbs) bags that Delta will honor, with their tickets. Jeff has his phone number on this site but with permission of the mods I can post it again if anyone wants it...

Hello Everyone,

For my October 2010 flight to Cebu, I am booked on PAL out of LAX. I transfer in Manila onto a PAL plane and then on to Cebu.

While researching flights, I noticed that all the flights that avoided Manila Airport flew out of Hong Kong or Seoul Korea after arriving from the U.S. However, the lay over in the two countries was always anywhere from 10 to 14 hours or more. I have heard that it is best to avoid the Manila Airport at all costs, however, I don't want to add the additional 14 hours of lay-over to my travel time.

My questions are as follows:

#1: Does anyone have an idea why there is such a long layover in the two countries that I mentioned.

#2: Are there any mini-hotels near the airports in the two countries that offer a small day room where a traveler can rest for 10-14 hours cheaply. I would hate to just sit on a bench in the airport for such a long time.

Thanks, FLYNT

Depends what day you fly on...never had more than 2 hour lay over.

The same with me. You just have to keep looking and try different airlines. I'll be flying back to the Philippines in January, 2011. Usually, I fly Cathy Pacific, but, like you, they had a 10 hr layover in Hong Kong, both ways! I checked with KAL and they only have a couple of hours between flights, except for on the way back. I'll arrive at ICN at 6:15am and don't depart until 3:00pm, but it seems like a good time to go have lunch in the city and do a little exploring in Korea, since I've never been there before. I found the deal on Cheap Tickets.com. That site will allow you to check on several different airlines at the same time and compare rates. You have to be flexable on departure and arrival days and times if you want the best deals with the least amount of lay-over.

The same with me. You just have to keep looking and try different airlines. I'll be flying back to the Philippines in January, 2011. Usually, I fly Cathy Pacific, but, like you, they had a 10 hr layover in Hong Kong, both ways! I checked with KAL and they only have a couple of hours between flights, except for on the way back. I'll arrive at ICN at 6:15am and don't depart until 3:00pm, but it seems like a good time to go have lunch in the city and do a little exploring in Korea, since I've never been there before. I found the deal on Cheap Tickets.com. That site will allow you to check on several different airlines at the same time and compare rates. You have to be flexable on departure and arrival days and times if you want the best deals with the least amount of lay-over.

Really? I've just checked Cathay Pacific's site and there's no more than a couple of hours' layover in Hong Kong. There is a longer layover in either San Francisco or Los Angeles for flights to/from Denver (assuming that is your closest airport). Total travel time is given as 26h30m to Cebu and 27h20m to Denver using the fastest published flights.

Mark

I thought I had thouroughly searched airline companies prior to my booking. But you all are correct in your advice, Cathay Airlines & Korean Airlines all have flights without the long layovers. I wish I had know this sooner, but durring my search I had never come across either of these two airlines. Even the travel agent that I used to book my International flight told me that Manila was not a good airport to arrive at, however, she never recommended any other airlines that avoided Manila.

I had already booked and paid for my flight, prior to joining "Living In Cebu Forum".

I will be well informed for my next trip to Cebu.

I hope I survive my first trip !!!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Sincerely, Flynt