Mineral water in the Phils

Are you not sick of artificially purified water?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink mineral water in the RP?

• yes
    • no
    • I would if a good one was available
  2. 2. Do you like distilled (purified or whatever) water?

• yes, no other choice
    • yes, I love the taste of distilled water
    • it tastes horrible but thats the only available choice
    • no I hate it, so I buy sodas most of the time
  3. 3. Do you drink carbonated (sparkling) water?

• yes, I love it, tastes better than normal water
    • yes, sometimes
    • no, difficult to get
    • no, I am almost a Filipino, never touch carbonated, unless its beer or coke
    • I don't like, tastes horrible
    • I don't like burping
  4. 4. If you buy bottled mineral water, your preferred brand is....

• Perrier
    • Evian
    • other from abroad
    • other made in the Phils (please post brand, but only mineral water brand)
  5. 5. I think in the Philippines there is...

• ...a market for quality mineral water at affordable price
    • ...a market for quality and pricier mineral water
    • ...no need for mineral water, even people driving SUVs are fine with boiled or purified water
    • ...no need for bottled mineral water at all

RogerDuMond

C) it is medically proven that phosphoric acid works against Ca reserves in the body. When P is up, Ca is down, easy. Coke intake only provides you with P and fat around your waist while lessens Ca in your body, resulting in osteoporosis - not only by women.

"Soft drinks have long been suspected of leading to lower calcium levels

and higher phosphate levels in the blood. When phosphate levels are high and

calcium levels are low, calcium is pulled out of the bones. The phosphate

content of soft drinks like Coca -Cola and Pepsi is very high, and they

contain virtually no calcium."

Not all studies show that Phosphoric Acid is what lowers the Calcium density in the body, in fact they attribute the decrease in Calcium Density to the decreased milk intake due to increased cola intake and increased caffeine intake.

A well-controlled clinical study by Heaney and Rafferty using calcium-balance methods found no impact of carbonated soft drinks containing phosphoric acid on calcium excretion. The study compared the impact of water, milk, and various soft drinks (two with caffeine and two without; two with phosphoric acid and two with citric acid) on the calcium balance of 20- to 40-year-old women who customarily consumed ~3 or more cups (680 ml) of a carbonated soft drink per day. They found that, relative to water, only milk and the two caffeine-containing soft drinks increased urinary calcium, and that the calcium loss associated with the caffeinated soft drink consumption was about equal to that previously found for caffeine alone. Phosphoric acid without caffeine had no impact on urine calcium, nor did it augment the urinary calcium loss related to caffeine. Because studies have shown that the effect of caffeine is compensated for by reduced calcium losses later in the day, Heaney and Rafferty concluded that the net effect of carbonated beverages

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digiteye

• Jess Bartone

• lazydays

• Headshot

C) it is medically proven that phosphoric acid works against Ca reserves in the body. When P is up, Ca is down, easy. Coke intake only provides you with P and fat around your waist while lessens Ca in your body, resulting in osteoporosis - not only by women.

"Soft drinks have long been suspected of leading to lower calcium levels

and higher phosphate levels in the blood. When phosphate levels are high and

calcium levels are low, calcium is pulled out of the bones. The phosphate

content of soft drinks like Coca -Cola and Pepsi is very high, and they

contain virtually no calcium."

Not all studies show that Phosphoric Acid is what lowers the Calcium density in the body, in fact they attribute the decrease in Calcium Density to the decreased milk intake due to increased cola intake and increased caffeine intake.

A well-controlled clinical study by Heaney and Rafferty using calcium-balance methods found no impact of carbonated soft drinks containing phosphoric acid on calcium excretion. The study compared the impact of water, milk, and various soft drinks (two with caffeine and two without; two with phosphoric acid and two with citric acid) on the calcium balance of 20- to 40-year-old women who customarily consumed ~3 or more cups (680 ml) of a carbonated soft drink per day. They found that, relative to water, only milk and the two caffeine-containing soft drinks increased urinary calcium, and that the calcium loss associated with the caffeinated soft drink consumption was about equal to that previously found for caffeine alone. Phosphoric acid without caffeine had no impact on urine calcium, nor did it augment the urinary calcium loss related to caffeine. Because studies have shown that the effect of caffeine is compensated for by reduced calcium losses later in the day, Heaney and Rafferty concluded that the net effect of carbonated beverages

RogerDuMond

To get back to the original topic, I never drink mineral / bottled water.

(I also rarely drink cola's or similar soft drinks.)

I would think that the market for a "premium" water would be minimal in the Philippines, and would also require a substantial spend on marketing to launch it.

I would also think that, as soon as you were sucessful (if you were) the big boys would muscle in take over. (By fair means or foul.)

Overall, I doubt it would work.

But, I could easily be wrong.

Perrier is owned by Nestle and Evian is owned by Dannon (Danone Groupe) so both waters are part of a product group imported with other products from the manufacturers and aren't stand alone products. They are here for a niche and sales or lack there of in the Philippines will not negatively effect the parent companies.

I think I have found what Jesse was referring to. It is nothing about mineral water, but some other - and its shocking.

Also take a few minutes to read the entire article if you love people in the Phils just a tiny bit to see what is happening to those who go to Dubai hoping for better life and future... very sad indeed.

Sorry for the off topic. (well.. I am the thread starter...)

(In Dubai) "There is no surface water, very little acquifer, and among the lowest rainfall in the world. So Dubai drinks the sea. The Emirates' water is stripped of salt in vast desalination plants around the Gulf

RogerDuMond

Study made of generous grant of Pepsico Inc. tongue.gif

The study funded by Pepsi suggests that insufficient intake of phosphorous leads to lower bone density. The study does not examine the effect of phosphoric acid, which binds with magnesium and calcium in the digestive tract to form salts that are not absorbed, but rather studies general phosphorus intake.

We are arguing science instead of the feasibility of selling your product in the Philippines. Your product may be great and I assume that some day you are going to let us try it, but I can't see you winning a competition against Nestle and Dannon. I assume they have more money than you and because of the diversity and volume of their products, they can command better shelf space and location than you.

I would think that the market for a "premium" water would be minimal in the Philippines, and would also require a substantial spend on marketing to launch it.

I would also think that, as soon as you were sucessful (if you were) the big boys would muscle in take over. (By fair means or foul.)

Perrier is owned by Nestle and Evian is owned by Dannon (Danone Groupe) so both waters are part of a product group imported with other products from the manufacturers and aren't stand alone products. They are here for a niche and sales or lack there of in the Philippines will not negatively effect the parent companies.

Thanks Roger, in fact my idea was to find a local distributor or wholesaler to make a deal with, I would not jump into wholesale. Actually the price is quite good compared to what Perrier has or Evian (I still have to assess the transportation costs further), but by now I am convinced this wont be the best business there.

I can't help it, I must refer to the old anecdote of every other business conference about the pessimistic and optimistic Italian shoe sales agents sent to Libya.

After a week they reporting back to the headquarters.

Pessimistic: bloody sand everywhere, nobody wearing shoes, no business. Let me go home.

Optimistic: hot sand everywhere, nobody wearing shoes! Start the first batch, I stay until it arrives.

Am I being optimistic? Maybe.

So... please lets put this mineral water topic to rest.

Any update on internet cafe, sari-sari? Japanese fried thingy stall franchise? :drink: Or shall I open a boarding house? :thumbsup:

Or what else? I want to be there....:P

lazydays

Ok first its 25 pesos for a 5 gallon jug....Every where here sells water.....lots of different kinds....Ice on the other hand is much harder to come by its here but not everywhere....At 25 pesos a liter you will have a very tough time selling much because thats the price of coke and only half the price of beer....I personaly don,t think the RP is ready for high end water yet but maybe if you get your foot in the door early you will have a market later..

Please kindly read my comment about Coke - you are the living example of what I said about how Coke convinces people about the "value" while it is based on tap water and the syrup contains the main ingredient of a pesticide. You are ready to pay 25 peso for that but not for a water that is about 10.000 years old - therefore pure and contains useful minerals.

Also there is a nice experiment if you have the time and invest 25 pesos. Place a piece of iron in the Coke for a few days (e.g. a nail, you can use a big one too) - then see how it disappears and becomes soluble. Cheers drink.jpg

A copper coin dipped in coca cola is another good example of its cleaning power,coke was originally developed as a cleaning product,until someone tasted it,and thought this tastes good.(I have the history of coke on an old video tape).

We also must not forget the 20 spoonfuls of sugar that goes into every bottle of coca cola.

Albeit i'm still not a mineral water fan LOL,most of my water goes in tea or coffee. smile.gif

lazydays

Opening any business in Phils is very high risk.If its succesful,you will be squeazed out by local competitors,as many net cafe's have found,or in worst case scenario face arson attack.

Sari Sari is a possible,but little profit.

Franchises are expensive and surrounded by compliance laws.

In fact if you want the real truth,the Philippines does not really want foreigners building bricks and mortar business's in Phils.

Many laws are aimed at protecting business rights for filipino's first and foremost,unless you can provide them with something they need,but they do not have the expertise,even then you would be required to have filipino's business partners.

The recently new easier way,is to obtain a business visa,but you have to guarrantee to employ at least 10 full time people,and show sufficient funds,but you then have the nightmare of employee laws,and understanding the culture when dealing with employees.

Basically doing business as a foreigner appears to be a bloody nightmare.

Maybe if you have a filipina wife,let her do it,and you can be a behind the scenes consultant,but you need to be able to trust her 100%,or money will dissapear into her families pockets at every request.

Your best bet is a net based business catering to the wider world.

BTW,in my past life,i have started 3 small UK business's,2 i sold on successfully,the 3rd one hit the rocks.

If ever i decide to run any business in Phils,it would be net based only.

Just my 10 twocents.gif worth.

Digiteye;

Why not come to Cebu, test market your water and see how you do? The guys have given your their point of views, but if you feel that confident about your product ( And you should feel that way), then come on over and give it a try. I would not recommend that you invest alot. But again a small sample and see what type of reaction you get. Remember the founder of Fedex was given a 'C' in his economics class for his idea that turned out to be Fedex.

Jess Bartone

Me again Digiteye.

I have noticed that you have at times just barely managed to stay within what might be called acceptable manners, and your frustration has been almost palpable. Thankfully I was able to give you a good laugh with my "30%" thing, you having repeated it several times.

It was something I read a few years ago, and the "one third" line stuck in my head, I feel so embarrassed that in truth it was actually just 1 third of 1% (for the US alone, and 1% worldwide). My apologies for being such a forgetful numbskull. Here is something I found just now, plus a few more links which may or may not make you realise the bottled water industry is a top heavy cash cow which may be in for a few shocks in the near future.

"Given an annual consumption of 33 billion liters of bottled water in the US, we estimate that the annual consumption of bottled water in the US in 2007 required an energy input equivalent to between 32 and 54 million barrels of oil or a third of a per cent of total US primary energy consumption. We estimate that roughly three times this amount was required to satisfy global bottled water demand."

Source

I am not against capitalism and consumerism as such, just the way the billionaire industry captains use fear and coercion to convince people that a certain products are "safer" than cheaper products readily available, for example, tap water. I believe your plan to sell high-end bottled water in the Philippines is dead in the water, but what would I know? I'm just a shit-kickin' construction worker.

Bottled Water is Wasteful

The facts about bottled water

I'm no greenie, far from it, but why waste all this lovely oil making plastic bottles when we could be saving it for our cars? However, I have no control of what goes on in the world, I just roll with the punches, so by all means, go for it. Anyway, it seems you realise your chances are limited, so the lesson is: if you join a public forum, and ask questions of the 3,000-odd members, expect that some of them will react negatively, especially those that have been there (in Cebu) for a while, and know the ins-and-outs of how business is done there. Others, like myself, who know nothing about business, will have ethical concerns, and it is right that they are thrown into the discussion.

It also occurred to me that if your product is so good, why don't you attack the existing 1st world market, where stupid fools are willing to pay 6, 7, 8 dollars for 300ml of water?twocents.gif

To run a business in the Philippines, you first need to look at the Foreign Ownership Negative list.

That shows the businesses that you either cannot run, or that have to have majority Filipino ownership, or else have a legal requirement for high initial investment.

(You could run a business not proscribed, or put it in someone elses name, many do, but it is a risk.)

The easiest, to comply with all the laws, is either buying goods made in the Philippines and exporting them, or setting up and manufacturing in the Philippines, again for export.

I think I have found what Jesse was referring to. It is nothing about mineral water, but some other - and its shocking.

Also take a few minutes to read the entire article if you love people in the Phils just a tiny bit to see what is happening to those who go to Dubai hoping for better life and future... very sad indeed.

Sorry for the off topic. (well.. I am the thread starter...)

(In Dubai) "There is no surface water, very little acquifer, and among the lowest rainfall in the world. So Dubai drinks the sea. The Emirates' water is stripped of salt in vast desalination plants around the Gulf

Thanks Roger, in fact my idea was to find a local distributor or wholesaler to make a deal with, I would not jump into wholesale. Actually the price is quite good compared to what Perrier has or Evian (I still have to assess the transportation costs further), but by now I am convinced this wont be the best business there.

I can't help it, I must refer to the old anecdote of every other business conference about the pessimistic and optimistic Italian shoe sales agents sent to Libya.

After a week they reporting back to the headquarters.

Pessimistic: bloody sand everywhere, nobody wearing shoes, no business. Let me go home.

Optimistic: hot sand everywhere, nobody wearing shoes! Start the first batch, I stay until it arrives.

Am I being optimistic? Maybe.

So... please lets put this mineral water topic to rest.

Any update on internet cafe, sari-sari? Japanese fried thingy stall franchise? :blush: Or shall I open a boarding house? :ROFLMAO:

Or what else? I want to be there....:phil:

Nursing home for expats? Not kidding.

Lee From Cebu

That is a good idea might be pricey to start but I think there could be a market for that

Opening any business in Phils is very high risk.If its succesful,you will be squeazed out by local competitors,as many net cafe's have found,or in worst case scenario face arson attack.

Sari Sari is a possible,but little profit.

Franchises are expensive and surrounded by compliance laws.

In fact if you want the real truth,the Philippines does not really want foreigners building bricks and mortar business's in Phils.

Many laws are aimed at protecting business rights for filipino's first and foremost,unless you can provide them with something they need,but they do not have the expertise,even then you would be required to have filipino's business partners.

The recently new easier way,is to obtain a business visa,but you have to guarrantee to employ at least 10 full time people,and show sufficient funds,but you then have the nightmare of employee laws,and understanding the culture when dealing with employees.

Basically doing business as a foreigner appears to be a bloody nightmare.

Maybe if you have a filipina wife,let her do it,and you can be a behind the scenes consultant,but you need to be able to trust her 100%,or money will dissapear into her families pockets at every request.

Your best bet is a net based business catering to the wider world.

BTW,in my past life,i have started 3 small UK business's,2 i sold on successfully,the 3rd one hit the rocks.

If ever i decide to run any business in Phils,it would be net based only.

Just my 10 twocents.gif worth.

Hi lazydays,

thank you for this info, very useful and thought provoking.