Mineral water in the Phils

Are you not sick of artificially purified water?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink mineral water in the RP?

• yes
    • no
    • I would if a good one was available
  2. 2. Do you like distilled (purified or whatever) water?

• yes, no other choice
    • yes, I love the taste of distilled water
    • it tastes horrible but thats the only available choice
    • no I hate it, so I buy sodas most of the time
  3. 3. Do you drink carbonated (sparkling) water?

• yes, I love it, tastes better than normal water
    • yes, sometimes
    • no, difficult to get
    • no, I am almost a Filipino, never touch carbonated, unless its beer or coke
    • I don't like, tastes horrible
    • I don't like burping
  4. 4. If you buy bottled mineral water, your preferred brand is....

• Perrier
    • Evian
    • other from abroad
    • other made in the Phils (please post brand, but only mineral water brand)
  5. 5. I think in the Philippines there is...

• ...a market for quality mineral water at affordable price
    • ...a market for quality and pricier mineral water
    • ...no need for mineral water, even people driving SUVs are fine with boiled or purified water
    • ...no need for bottled mineral water at all

As for pricing, its pretty normal that you can buy a bottle of mineral at a price of a cubic meter of tap water here. So I think your 25 peso for 10 liters is outrageously overpriced. You should get 50x- 100x more water for that price. In Europe at least, depending on the country.

cheers

So if you decide to sell mineral water at the equivalent of 1 US penny for ten liters as your statement above says, put me down for 100 liters per week. (25 pesos divided by 50 divided by 46 pesos per dollar equals 1 US penny)

Hi, I don't see the statement which you see.

What I see and what I said was that one can get a cubic meter of tap water at the price of a bottle of mineral water. Or vice versa. To illustrate it with an example, you pay 1 Euro for a cubic meter (1000liters) of tap water (varies by country) which 1 Euro also can buy a 1 liter or 1.5 liter bottle of mineral water (that is middle price range, Perrier is more expensive and there are brands with lower price tag).

Now if we take this into account, our friend above gets his filtered tap water very expensive. He pays 25pesos for 10 liters so for 1000 liters he has to pay 2500 pesos, which is 39.8 Euros. That is what I call outrageous for bloody filtering :lol: And if I was to follow the logic and price a bottle of mineral water using the similar ratio of the Phils, apparently you would faint when see 2500Php tag on a bottle instead of your 1 cent dream price.

I am sure it is possible to sell quality mineral water around 25 pesos per liter, which is not at all bad for bottled mineral water, mostly that it's not made of surface waters spiced with careboo [email protected] then filtered to perfection - but few thousand years old untouched pure water, from the time when there were no chemicals and pollution.

Make no mistake. If the water you drink would qualify as mineral water, there was no need to filter and get it distilled. These all are necessary only because of the source of your water is impure and you don't want to know what it contained before processing.

The funniest thing is how Coke tricked you with the "flavor" they add to their carbonated tap water products. And you guys buy that like there's no tomorrow, right? It is not considered expensive. Mineral water is.

Now, production of sodas is much less costly as the water does not have to be taken from 300 meters wells, so the cost of the added syrup is generously covered.

And since we are at this point, have you ever thought of what do you take with every glass of Coke? Google phosphoric acid and you will see. It is a major component of all pesticides - and Coke.

Its OK folks, I see you don't like mineral water, no problem. But the numbers you come up with are really wild. First making mineral water production accountable for one third of the total CO2 burden, then getting this 1 cent pricing out of blue air... what's wrong with you?

I seriously consider relocating to some place else now....

Edited by digiteye
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digiteye

• Jess Bartone

• lazydays

• Headshot

Lee From Cebu

Ok first its 25 pesos for a 5 gallon jug....Every where here sells water.....lots of different kinds....Ice on the other hand is much harder to come by its here but not everywhere....At 25 pesos a liter you will have a very tough time selling much because thats the price of coke and only half the price of beer....I personaly don,t think the RP is ready for high end water yet but maybe if you get your foot in the door early you will have a market later..

And Evian spells naive backwards.

Who knows what you can sell.

Look at Red Bull (Kratiem Dang).

A minor seller in the Thai market with maybe 10% share and Lipo 80%.

Someone grabed the rights to Red Bull and with the right marketing. WOW.

K in C

Lee From Cebu

Ok first its 25 pesos for a 5 gallon jug....Every where here sells water.....lots of different kinds....Ice on the other hand is much harder to come by its here but not everywhere....At 25 pesos a liter you will have a very tough time selling much because thats the price of coke and only half the price of beer....I personaly don,t think the RP is ready for high end water yet but maybe if you get your foot in the door early you will have a market later..

Oh yeah thats delivered to my door for 25 pesos so its about a peso per liter if you say 5 pesos for bringing it to my home....Ice is pretty cheap to 30 pesos for a 5 pound bag but I would buy mineral ice if I ever seen it ... :biggrin_01:

cebubird

If you have a deep well here on Cebu, you are getting all the minerals you need. What is called mineral water in most parts of the world is just water from limestone aquifers. It is also called "sweet water" in some places. Limestone is what most of Cebu is made of, since the island is basically just sea floor thrust up out of the ocean by the big faults running along each side of it. The water they sell here on every street corner as mineral water is well water that has been filtered, but not de-mineralized. It IS mineral water. I seriously doubt there is much of a niche market here for what some call "quality" mineral water. Most people would just think it was outragiously overpriced. I can buy the big (what is it...10 liters?) water bottles for my water dispenser for 25p. Why in the world would I pay more?

That is GREAT info about the water.

Since purified water basically has everything removed, it good to know that the water you buy there still has the minerals.

I never cease to be amazed at the info that gets served up on here.

RogerDuMond

As for pricing, its pretty normal that you can buy a bottle of mineral at a price of a cubic meter of tap water here. So I think your 25 peso for 10 liters is outrageously overpriced. You should get 50x- 100x more water for that price. In Europe at least, depending on the country.

cheers

So if you decide to sell mineral water at the equivalent of 1 US penny for ten liters as your statement above says, put me down for 100 liters per week. (25 pesos divided by 50 divided by 46 pesos per dollar equals 1 US penny)

Its OK folks, I see you don't like mineral water, no problem. But the numbers you come up with are really wild. First making mineral water production accountable for one third of the total CO2 burden, then getting this 1 cent pricing out of blue air... what's wrong with you?

I didn't say that I didn't like mineral water. In fact I didn't make any comment on mineral water. I just did the math from your statement and the lower figure at that. You said that he should get 50 times the amount for 25 pesos. So you divide 25 pesos by 50 to get the cost of ten liters. That gives you a cost of 1/2 peso for 10 liters. Then, for my convenience I converted that to US dollars at 46 pesos per dollar. That calculation gives you 0.010869...... or 1 penny for 10 liters. My comment was, that at this price for 10 liters of mineral water, I would take 100 liters per week.

If you have a deep well here on Cebu, you are getting all the minerals you need. What is called mineral water in most parts of the world is just water from limestone aquifers. It is also called "sweet water" in some places. Limestone is what most of Cebu is made of, since the island is basically just sea floor thrust up out of the ocean by the big faults running along each side of it. The water they sell here on every street corner as mineral water is well water that has been filtered, but not de-mineralized. It IS mineral water. I seriously doubt there is much of a niche market here for what some call "quality" mineral water. Most people would just think it was outragiously overpriced. I can buy the big (what is it...10 liters?) water bottles for my water dispenser for 25p. Why in the world would I pay more?

That is GREAT info about the water.

Since purified water basically has everything removed, it good to know that the water you buy there still has the minerals.

I never cease to be amazed at the info that gets served up on here.

Hahahah, this is a good one. Yes, you are right - there is NO MINERALS left in the water after processing, basically its same as distilled water which therefore useful in the cooler system of cars (no issues of mineral deposits) or you can use for steam ironing (the tiny holes wont get stuck by limestone). Also suitable for drinking (as in not poisonous), but it tastes what it is: distilled water.

I also just noticed a flaw in the logic: if there is a deep well that supplies "mineral water" as Jesse said, they why on Earth he has to buy the filtered one for 25 pesos? :biggrin_01:

So yeah, there are some pieces of great info here (also the 30% CO2 pollution due to mineral water distribution...) one only should practice caution what to believe and what not.

Please kindly read my comment about Coke - you are the living example of what I said about how Coke convinces people about the "value" while it is based on tap water and the syrup contains the main ingredient of a pesticide. You are ready to pay 25 peso for that but not for a water that is about 10.000 years old - therefore pure and contains useful minerals.

Also there is a nice experiment if you have the time and invest 25 pesos. Place a piece of iron in the Coke for a few days (e.g. a nail, you can use a big one too) - then see how it disappears and becomes soluble. Cheers :biggrin_01:

I personaly don,t think the RP is ready for high end water yet but maybe if you get your foot in the door early you will have a market later..

Well, this is why I asked around here. On the other hand Perrier and Evian are in the market - they don't do it for the fun of it, there must be business if they maintain their operation in the country.

And surely they are not here for the great taxes and the transparency in business :biggrin_01:

And Evian spells naive backwards.

Who knows what you can sell.

Look at Red Bull (Kratiem Dang).

A minor seller in the Thai market with maybe 10% share and Lipo 80%.

Someone grabed the rights to Red Bull and with the right marketing. WOW.

K in C

Kenny, that's right. Whoever believes Evian is a mineral water is naive. :biggrin_01:

As I have mentioned earlier, Evian is not a mineral water but melted snow. They make it in Northern Italy from the melting glaciers, before the water could reach lower waters and get more contaminated. Having no natural "filtering system" like a mineral water (settling for thousands of years in limestone caves) this water has to be processed for safe consumption.

I am not familiar with the Thai market, but certainly someone copied Red Bull a few years ago, used different design (golden can), used the name of the original and the taste was much sweeter - I guess it was not the only thing faked in Thailand.

cheers

I didn't say that I didn't like mineral water. In fact I didn't make any comment on mineral water. I just did the math from your statement and the lower figure at that. You said that he should get 50 times the amount for 25 pesos. So you divide 25 pesos by 50 to get the cost of ten liters. That gives you a cost of 1/2 peso for 10 liters. Then, for my convenience I converted that to US dollars at 46 pesos per dollar. That calculation gives you 0.010869...... or 1 penny for 10 liters. My comment was, that at this price for 10 liters of mineral water, I would take 100 liters per week.

Ok, I can repeat ad nauseam, that I have never said anything that your calculation could be based on.

So lets do it again. Our fellow member said he hated mineral waters for being outrageously overpriced. Which, if one believes its the same water as any water, might be right, but that's another story.

What I have demonstrated was that his 25 peso purified surface water is outrageously overpriced assuming plain water shall not cost more in the Phils than in Europe.

So. In Europe you can get a cubic meter of plain water around the same price as a liter of mineral water, bottled. Which is about 1 Euro. If he gets 10 liter for 25 then one cubic meter must be 2500. I hope there is no difficulty in following me so far.

So if we compute the amount into Euro terms, it will be 39.8 Euros in the Phils for a cubic meter of water (1000 liters) of plain water, that has been "purified" (whatever that means).

This means, for purification they charge 39.8 Euros, which IS outrageous. The same plain tap water in Europe is potable - no need for purification.

And yes, he should get 50 times more for 25 pesos, but not mineral water - plain water. And I am not into plain water business, I am into mineral water. Therefore sorry, I cannot deliver your 1 cent water, try the usual purified plain water suppliers in Cebu.

Lee From Cebu

Please kindly read my comment about Coke - you are the living example of what I said about how Coke convinces people about the "value" while it is based on tap water and the syrup contains the main ingredient of a pesticide. You are ready to pay 25 peso for that but not for a water that is about 10.000 years old - therefore pure and contains useful minerals.

Also there is a nice experiment if you have the time and invest 25 pesos. Place a piece of iron in the Coke for a few days (e.g. a nail, you can use a big one too) - then see how it disappears and becomes soluble. Cheers :biggrin_01:

well stomach acid seems to do a fine job of digesting coke I,ve never heard of anyone dieing from drinking coke....Im sure if you put a nail in stomch acid it would be gone way faster...The reason the other big players are here is they want there foot in the door before you I,m sure there profit is close to nothing ...look at Mc Ds for exsample they get crushed by Jolibee and yet hang in...Burger king might still be here but I think they pulled out ..You are looking at entering a market against the biggest water companys in the world and I havent seen anyone on the boards that thinks you have a chance...yet you still seem to want to pursure this ...Why ask if you already have your mind made up...I get all the minerals I need without some fancy labeled water...and coke tastes way better than water ...I,m not trying to be a jerk..just a living example of the culture here in the phils...I do wish you luck and hope you can prove us all wrong.....

Some of the members expressed doubts, for good reason, they are not jealous, but actually being protective of you, and you will find that if you ask a question, the answer may not always be what you want to hear. But if you feel you can make a go of it, by all means go for it, but just be aware you're playing to a tough crowd amongst some stiff opposition.

Hi JesseB,

the idea came from my visit in Cebu in January when I was unable to find mineral water in shops. I understand also that the mass market is not up for mineral water and use jeepney, not SUV-s. But there is a segment which visits SM or Ayala shops and eat out in the eateries there - and drink distilled water that has bad taste. At least for me bad. Maybe not for those who drink that for ages and have no chance to compare.

I appreciate inputs and don't look for self justification. False support is not what I am after. But using wildly invalid numbers as for argument is not too helpful either.

Anyways, I am just trying to figure what business to start with, if its not water - I wont cry. (The well is not mine, my friend has this bottling plant in Europe.)

I tried to follow advice read in other forums where members suggested business that wont affect average Filipino businesses to avoid competition and jealousy. I believe mineral water matches criteria.

if its not that, I will look for something else - maybe not a net cafe, thats risky for location and locals do it also. Trying to set foot in Cebu for all those obvious reasons why others living there, so I need something to work with in the beginning - involving low investment and minimal risk. Export and import seems such if you find the right partners and perhaps you wont have to marry an entire Filipino family just to have your business under someone's name.

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier.

Cheers

Don't know the import law in the Philippines, but unless you plan to land in the dark of night somewhere to offload your water, then from what I've read here about conducting business in RP you might want to rethink your thoughts on marriage. Also, it seems to me that if you have plans to distribute, complications grow. Beyond this, I agree with those who have doubts about a viable market in a country like the Philippines, but I've not done any due diligence, so this is simply my hunch.

Edited by Slick Willie

Also there is a nice experiment if you have the time and invest 25 pesos. Place a piece of iron in the Coke for a few days (e.g. a nail, you can use a big one too) - then see how it disappears and becomes soluble. Cheers :drink:

well stomach acid seems to do a fine job of digesting coke I,ve never heard of anyone dieing from drinking coke....Im sure if you put a nail in stomch acid it would be gone way faster...The reason the other big players are here is they want there foot in the door before you I,m sure there profit is close to nothing ...look at Mc Ds for exsample they get crushed by Jolibee and yet hang in...Burger king might still be here but I think they pulled out ..You are looking at entering a market against the biggest water companys in the world and I havent seen anyone on the boards that thinks you have a chance...yet you still seem to want to pursure this ...Why ask if you already have your mind made up...I get all the minerals I need without some fancy labeled water...and coke tastes way better than water ...I,m not trying to be a jerk..just a living example of the culture here in the phils...I do wish you luck and hope you can prove us all wrong.....

Hahah, well - putting things to the right place does not mean I insist on selling mineral water here. Actually you and the others helped me a lot in understanding whats going on. This is why I am here, to assess market and see how people react.

For the sake of other readers not being mislead I have to tell you something, though.

While there is no point arguing with you about which taste you like better, there are some important points to remember:

A) "fancy labeled water" - it is not water, it is mineral water, not mostly for its Mg, Ca, Si and other mineral contents, but for the source it comes from. So it is NOT just water (with chicken drop or who knows what inside)

B) you don't drink mineral water to have your daily mineral input. One drinks it for the better taste. And lets not compare here apples to pears, lets not compare coke to water. I compared only their production cost if you remember.

C) it is medically proven that phosphoric acid works against Ca reserves in the body. When P is up, Ca is down, easy. Coke intake only provides you with P and fat around your waist while lessens Ca in your body, resulting in osteoporosis - not only by women.

"Soft drinks have long been suspected of leading to lower calcium levels

and higher phosphate levels in the blood. When phosphate levels are high and

calcium levels are low, calcium is pulled out of the bones. The phosphate

content of soft drinks like Coca -Cola and Pepsi is very high, and they

contain virtually no calcium."

http://www.organicco...acola021605.cfm

Soft drink consumption linked with fatty liver in the absence of traditional risk factors

Eighty per cent of patients (25 of 31) consumed an excessive amount of soft drink beverages (more than 50 g/day of added sugar) for 36 months, compared with 20% in healthy controls (P<0.001). Twenty per cent of patients consumed one drink per day, 40% consumed two to three drinks per day, and 40% consumed more than four drinks per day for most days during 36 months. The most common soft drinks consumed were regular Coca-Cola (40% of patients), Diet Coke (40%) and flavoured fruit juices (20%). Ultrasound findings revealed mild fatty liver in 44% of cases (n=14), moderate fatty liver in 38% (n=12), and severe fatty liver in 18% (n=5).

http://www.ncbi.nlm....um&ordinalpos=8

Short-time ingestion of colas influences the activity distribution at bone scintigraphy

http://www.ncbi.nlm....m&ordinalpos=27

And this is the best :))))

Acute intestinal obstruction caused by a persimmon phytobezoar after dissolution therapy with Coca-Cola.

Bezoars are concretions or hard masses of foreign matter that are found in the gastrointestinal tract. Recent reports have demonstrated the efficacy of Coca-Cola administration for the dissolution of phytobezors. Here we report on a 73-year-old man with a very large gastric persimmon diospyrobezoar, and this caused small intestinal obstruction after partial dissolution with oral and injected Coca-Cola.

http://www.ncbi.nlm....m&ordinalpos=34

So when stomach acid is not enough, the power of coke will do the trick... on intestinal stones... holy [email protected] !!

(don't try it with your kidney stones though...:P) But for concrete? There is no better cleaner for cement sprinkles after construction than coke.

What else can I say? Drink your coke... cheers :thumbsup:

Edited by digiteye

To get back to the original topic, I never drink mineral / bottled water.

(I also rarely drink cola's or similar soft drinks.)

I would think that the market for a "premium" water would be minimal in the Philippines, and would also require a substantial spend on marketing to launch it.

I would also think that, as soon as you were sucessful (if you were) the big boys would muscle in take over. (By fair means or foul.)

Overall, I doubt it would work.

But, I could easily be wrong.