Mineral water in the Phils

Are you not sick of artificially purified water?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Do you drink mineral water in the RP?

• yes
    • no
    • I would if a good one was available
  2. 2. Do you like distilled (purified or whatever) water?

• yes, no other choice
    • yes, I love the taste of distilled water
    • it tastes horrible but thats the only available choice
    • no I hate it, so I buy sodas most of the time
  3. 3. Do you drink carbonated (sparkling) water?

• yes, I love it, tastes better than normal water
    • yes, sometimes
    • no, difficult to get
    • no, I am almost a Filipino, never touch carbonated, unless its beer or coke
    • I don't like, tastes horrible
    • I don't like burping
  4. 4. If you buy bottled mineral water, your preferred brand is....

• Perrier
    • Evian
    • other from abroad
    • other made in the Phils (please post brand, but only mineral water brand)
  5. 5. I think in the Philippines there is...

• ...a market for quality mineral water at affordable price
    • ...a market for quality and pricier mineral water
    • ...no need for mineral water, even people driving SUVs are fine with boiled or purified water
    • ...no need for bottled mineral water at all

Please post if you drink mineral water and name the brand (also if carbonated or still).

Considering quality mineral water import.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• digiteye

• Jess Bartone

• lazydays

• Headshot

I'm not going to go through the poll here, because I don't care for true mineral water, or sparkling water either, for that matter. What they actually call mineral water here, often is nothing more than purified water anyway. Personally, I have been here so long, that I can drink the water directly out of the tap. But, I still drink water that has been purified, most of the time.

If you are looking at this for a business venture, there are companies here that have that sewn up already. You would have to be quite competitive, and have a lot of money to even become a major player here.

residents are really not into mineral water , in the market you easily can find purified and distilled , but mineral, seldom. too bad people forget the importance of minerals needed by our body..leading brands around for mineral would be summit and the other one by magnolia products

Headshot

If you have a deep well here on Cebu, you are getting all the minerals you need. What is called mineral water in most parts of the world is just water from limestone aquifers. It is also called "sweet water" in some places. Limestone is what most of Cebu is made of, since the island is basically just sea floor thrust up out of the ocean by the big faults running along each side of it. The water they sell here on every street corner as mineral water is well water that has been filtered, but not de-mineralized. It IS mineral water. I seriously doubt there is much of a niche market here for what some call "quality" mineral water. Most people would just think it was outragiously overpriced. I can buy the big (what is it...10 liters?) water bottles for my water dispenser for 25p. Why in the world would I pay more?

residents are really not into mineral water , in the market you easily can find purified and distilled , but mineral, seldom. too bad people forget the importance of minerals needed by our body..leading brands around for mineral would be summit and the other one by magnolia products

dear rodora, thank you for your info. Seems you are aware of the difference between purified and mineral water. Quality mineral water does not require any processing before bottling (no UV or Xray or distillation, filtration) My water is like that. Zero bacteria count, no nitrite content (which develops in surface waters due to the cow [email protected] or other high N content bio materials)

Well, somehow Perrier is there as well as Evian (which is melted snow and not mineral water anyways). They don't go to markets just for the fun of it. There is a business for a certain segment for sure. The water I have is high quality but as for price way below of these.

If you have a deep well here on Cebu, you are getting all the minerals you need. What is called mineral water in most parts of the world is just water from limestone aquifers. It is also called "sweet water" in some places. Limestone is what most of Cebu is made of, since the island is basically just sea floor thrust up out of the ocean by the big faults running along each side of it. The water they sell here on every street corner as mineral water is well water that has been filtered, but not de-mineralized. It IS mineral water. I seriously doubt there is much of a niche market here for what some call "quality" mineral water. Most people would just think it was outragiously overpriced. I can buy the big (what is it...10 liters?) water bottles for my water dispenser for 25p. Why in the world would I pay more?

Hi, its true if you have a deep well, you access mineral water, if it is presented in the limestone caves. It has to be 200-300 meter deep, then it might be mineral water. Then it wont contain anything that requires filtration (for floating particles), distillation or UV (for living bacteria) and surely wont contain nitrites and nitrates that is the sign of bio contamination usually seen in surface waters.

As for pricing, its pretty normal that you can buy a bottle of mineral at a price of a cubic meter of tap water here. So I think your 25 peso for 10 liters is outrageously overpriced. You should get 50x- 100x more water for that price. In Europe at least, depending on the country.

cheers

Jess Bartone

A scientific study concluded that transporting bottled water around the world contributed as much as 30% of man-made co2 emissions, both from the manufacturing of the bottles, and the diesel burnt in trucks and ships. (note I did not say "greenhouse gases")

Scenario: eeeww tap water, germs. Mineral water, ah yes, my favourite movie/pop star drinks that brand, must be 100% clean, safe, and environmentally friendly.

Off topic? You be the judge.

Sorry for being the troll on this one, but I have strong feelings about the bottled water phenomenon.twocents.gifbanme.gif

A scientific study concluded that transporting bottled water around the world contributed as much as 30% of man-made co2 emissions, both from the manufacturing of the bottles, and the diesel burnt in trucks and ships. (note I did not say "greenhouse gases")

Scenario: eeeww tap water, germs. Mineral water, ah yes, my favourite movie/pop star drinks that brand, must be 100% clean, safe, and environmentally friendly.

Sorry for being the troll on this one, but I have strong feelings about the bottled water phenomenon.twocents.gifbanme.gif

Hi JesseB,

I think if you read back what you had to say and think for a minute, you would perhaps ROTFL just like I did when saw your figures. You are saying not less than mineral water production and transport is responsible for about ONE THIRD of ALL the human activity related CO2 emissions !!

Wahh.... super scientific, eh?

So all the fossil sources of energy production (e.g. power plants on coal and oil in China), all the emission from cars and trucks (carrying anything else but water) and all the industrial emission produce ONLY 2 times more CO2 than producing and transporting mineral water. This is really scientific if true and surely the person who came up with this either end up with Nobel prize or in the psych ward.

A link to such sensational "scientific" claims is always useful.

BTW how about strong feelings about the bottled BEER phenomenon? What is the contribution of beer to your greenery there?

And please from now on take the green Guinness only, that contains only nitrogen (and tastes weird for that), but a good Guinness burp wont affect nature half as much as a similar size Foster burp which is made of CO2...

I got the feeling that folks here are not at all helpful, as if you guys were scared that a newcomer gonna enter into your little private heaven in Cebu to take something from you, so you better repel all of them before set foot on the shores.

Thanks anyways, just don't complain in other threads about how jealous pinoys can get if you open a business in their neighborhood and threaten their little income or just hate to see you living better than themselves. You have the exact same mentality here.

Edited by digiteye
Jess Bartone

Hi JesseB,

I think if you read back what you had to say and think for a minute, you would perhaps ROTFL just like I did when saw your figures. You are saying not less than mineral water production and transport is responsible for about ONE THIRD of ALL the human activity related CO2 emissions !!

Wahh.... super scientific, eh?

So all the fossil sources of energy production (e.g. power plants on coal and oil in China), all the emission from cars and trucks (carrying anything else but water) and all the industrial emission produce ONLY 2 times more CO2 than producing and transporting mineral water. This is really scientific if true and surely the person who came up with this either end up with Nobel prize or in the psych ward.

A link to such sensational "scientific" claims is always useful.

BTW how about strong feelings about the bottled BEER phenomenon? What is the contribution of beer to your greenery there?

And please from now on take the green Guinness only, that contains only nitrogen (and tastes weird for that), but a good Guinness burp wont affect nature half as much as a similar size Foster burp which is made of CO2...

I got the feeling that folks here are not at all helpful, as if you guys were scared that a newcomer gonna enter into your little private heaven in Cebu to take something from you, so you better repel all of them before set foot on the shores.

Thanks anyways, just don't complain in other threads about how jealous pinoys can get if you open a business in their neighborhood and threaten their little income or just hate to see you living better than themselves. You have the exact same mentality here.

Digiteye, don't let the rantings of a certifiable nutter rain on your parade, and do allow for the fact that not everyone is out to take you down. I don't have any link at hand, it's just something I read somewhere. I did not intend to hurt your feelings, or to elicit such a response, but merely to express my opinion in a public forum. I don't live in Cebu, nor will I when I retire, my private haven is somewhere to the south and east of there.

Some of the members expressed doubts, for good reason, they are not jealous, but actually being protective of you, and you will find that if you ask a question, the answer may not always be what you want to hear. But if you feel you can make a go of it, by all means go for it, but just be aware you're playing to a tough crowd amongst some stiff opposition.

I honestly wish you luck in your (ad) venture.

Some of the members expressed doubts, for good reason, they are not jealous, but actually being protective of you, and you will find that if you ask a question, the answer may not always be what you want to hear. But if you feel you can make a go of it, by all means go for it, but just be aware you're playing to a tough crowd amongst some stiff opposition.

Hi JesseB,

the idea came from my visit in Cebu in January when I was unable to find mineral water in shops. I understand also that the mass market is not up for mineral water and use jeepney, not SUV-s. But there is a segment which visits SM or Ayala shops and eat out in the eateries there - and drink distilled water that has bad taste. At least for me bad. Maybe not for those who drink that for ages and have no chance to compare.

I appreciate inputs and don't look for self justification. False support is not what I am after. But using wildly invalid numbers as for argument is not too helpful either.

Anyways, I am just trying to figure what business to start with, if its not water - I wont cry. (The well is not mine, my friend has this bottling plant in Europe.)

I tried to follow advice read in other forums where members suggested business that wont affect average Filipino businesses to avoid competition and jealousy. I believe mineral water matches criteria.

if its not that, I will look for something else - maybe not a net cafe, thats risky for location and locals do it also. Trying to set foot in Cebu for all those obvious reasons why others living there, so I need something to work with in the beginning - involving low investment and minimal risk. Export and import seems such if you find the right partners and perhaps you wont have to marry an entire Filipino family just to have your business under someone's name.

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier.

Cheers

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul
Jess Bartone

Sorry for the sarcasm earlier.

Cheers

People have always told me I have a hide like a rhino. Being a member of this forum, in fact my whole Philippines experience, has further thickened my skin sunstantially, so no apology needed.

Thankyou, just the same. I'm sorry to you for jumping your thread the way I did, I made no attempt to address your question, just told you what I thought of bottled water, and I was out of line.

You're right about the expat market, there are many who do like all the comforts of home, your challenge is firstly to make them aware of your product, and secondly to put it close to their hand, at a price that doesn't make them scoff. Start with Cebu, but bear in mind the multitudes that love in the provinces, and the expat population of Cagayan de Oro is growing fast I hear. Good luck.

Edit* Freudian slip: should read "...live in the provinces", but I like the sound of "...love in the provinces, so I'll leave it there.

Edited by JesseB
lazydays

Poll is flawed,couldn't answer it,as you have to answer each question.

No 4,i never buy it,there is no box for this answer,so i left blank,but coz of that,the poll will not register.

Edited by lazydays

No 4,i never buy it,there is no box for this answer,so i left blank,but coz of that,the poll will not register.

Sorry I am just a toddler here, cannot edit my own poll yet . :lee_popcorn:

But you are right, I should have expected that some ppl never buy mineral water... What was I thinking...!?

Are there any French around, or all stop in Cambodia or Vietnam? :scratch_head:

lazydays

Sorry I am just a toddler here, cannot edit my own poll yet . lee_popcorn.gif

But you are right, I should have expected that some ppl never buy mineral water... What was I thinking...!?

Are there any French around, or all stop in Cambodia or Vietnam? scratch_head.gif

No problem, smile.gif

RogerDuMond

As for pricing, its pretty normal that you can buy a bottle of mineral at a price of a cubic meter of tap water here. So I think your 25 peso for 10 liters is outrageously overpriced. You should get 50x- 100x more water for that price. In Europe at least, depending on the country.

cheers

So if you decide to sell mineral water at the equivalent of 1 US penny for ten liters as your statement above says, put me down for 100 liters per week. (25 pesos divided by 50 divided by 46 pesos per dollar equals 1 US penny)