IMPORTANT - new policy at BoI

JohnFromTexas

Maybe if they think of more and new ways to tax foreigners just for being here, they can scare them off and shoot themselves in the foot like hey have with foreign investment ;)

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SAM_NY

• lazydays

• musicman666

• ancienrocka

musicman666

Maybe if they think of more and new ways to tax foreigners just for being here, they can scare them off and shoot themselves in the foot like hey have with foreign investment ;)

my thoughts exactly..

ancienrocka

More information that I got from BoI this morning.

The ACR card will become invalid once you leave the country and you will need to re-apply, (and pay), when you come back in and stay for more than 59 days.

The normal express lane fee has not increased, but there is an express lane fee for the ACR card, which makes it 1500p for this extension.

The normal 2nd extension cost, ( without 9a), is 4800p - so add 2300p for ACR card and 500p fro extra express lane fee - giving you a total of 7600p.

There were several people there today getting angry about the new fee structure - it won't do you any good. It is not the fault of the workers there - it is the law of the country, and excess anger can cause you problems. No one wants to visit the 3rd floor!!

Paul

The ACR card will become invalid once you leave the country and you will need to re-apply, (and pay), when you come back in and stay for more than 59 days.

The normal express lane fee has not increased, but there is an express lane fee for the ACR card, which makes it 1500p for this extension.

The normal 2nd extension cost, ( without 9a), is 4800p - so add 2300p for ACR card and 500p fro extra express lane fee - giving you a total of 7600p.

There were several people there today getting angry about the new fee structure - it won't do you any good. It is not the fault of the workers there - it is the law of the country, and excess anger can cause you problems. No one wants to visit the 3rd floor!!

Paul

Thanks, mate, for keeping us updated on such an important issue.

I'm coming for three months that makes it around $A170 to renew I am seriously thinking of going to another country for a few days or week if the fare is cheap enough instead of renewing and come back for 21 days.

ACR I believe is the acronym for Alien Certificate of Registration.

I don't know how you could possibly save enough (if any) to justify all of the trouble to leave and come back in. :biggrin_01:

I'm coming for three months that makes it around $A170 to renew I am seriously thinking of going to another country for a few days or week if the fare is cheap enough instead of renewing and come back for 21 days.

ACR I believe is the acronym for Alien Certificate of Registration.

I don't know how you could possibly save enough (if any) to justify all of the trouble to leave and come back in. :biggrin_01:

I haven't done any research yet on costs for a visa run but the thought of visiting a nearby country as part of my trip does interest me. There is the extra cost of the departure fee I hadn't taken into account. Any advice or help in seeing the reality of my idea is welcomed pro or con.

From the article mentioned above:

The ACR I-Card is a laudable project and ... provides an effective monitoring system of overstaying aliens, thus providing ... protection and security to our people. Although <this> would entail additional cost to foreigners, I consider this as a small price to pay ....
JohnFromTexas

You left out one important word from that quote -- it will give the people a SENSE of security. as far as actual, i can not see how it makes any difference. All the info is already on file at BoI. i really don't like that if you leave the country and come back you have to pay the stupid fee again.

Hi Lee,

I think the ACR card will expire as soon as you leave, but that is honestly only a guess!

Any advantages; well most banks required an ACR card to open a peso account before - the question is, will they accept one of these "temporary" ACR cards in the future?

Hi Art,

I think many people will need to consider whether staying beyond the initial 59 days makes financial sense.

Regards,

Paul

Just as I predicted, Paul!

I may be wrong but I don't believe the banks will accept an ACR-I Card without a photograph of the holder as they use this as proof of identification (as well as a passport) and the right to live here. From what you say, my guess is that this new card will say something along the lines of "Temporary Visitor" writ large upon it.

Mark

Paul, How will that affect me. I will be spending 6 months there every year and hopefully getting a BB visa. Will I have to pay this fee every 6 months ?

Thanks Paul.

Paul

RogerDuMond

For those that want to read the official Bureau of Immigration informational pages on the ACR cards, the pages are listed below. Since the cards are update-able, I would assume you keep the card for up to its 5 year validity and just reapply for it to be updated. It doesn't seem logical that you would have to get a new card each time, but who knows.

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=107&Itemid=61

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=113&Itemid=61

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=114&Itemid=61

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=115&Itemid=61

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111&Itemid=53

According to the article posted above,

The ACR I-Cards issued to Temporary Visitors shall be valid for the same period as the temporary visitor