Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Citizenship Retention and Reacquisition Act of 2003 (RA 9225)

NOSOCALPINOY

No it should be her first action not a last resort because it concerns Japanese law not Filipino law.

Her first action was when she posted her subject matter on here, but since she is still uncertain of all of our fact based opinions and suggestions we gave her, she will now finally seek an attorney in Japan! She should at least consult first with a district BI attorney before going to Japan, It just may save them an unnecessary trip to Japan, if they don't have to!  

jassy

Actually all this research was really interesting.

Apparently there are a lot of countries where you can't or its near impossible to lose your citizenship.

There are so many Brits who are also chinese citizens. Brazilians who are also japanese citizens. And of course here there's so many chinese who are also filipino citizens.With the Philippines saying basically the same thing about native born, once you have it by birth, you can't lose it.

Edited by jassy

NOSOCALPINOY

Jassy,

You are welcome for reading all of our interesting opinions and suggestions. I just wish you well and good luck that you find the right solution. Come back on here and let us all know of the results so that we too can understand your situation and so that it can also help others with the same dilemma.  

SkyMan

He said there are a LOT of of Fil-chis
The proper term is Chinoy.

Anyway to make sure we will ask an immigration attorney what RA 9225 implies.
I certainly hope you will take the advice on this that Roger gave.....

my advice to you is take the information that you have and consult an immigration attorney in Japan

Not that I am suggesting hiding things from the government, but how would they know?
Well, you can go by the old adage of "Anything is legal until you get caught."  Is the possibility of one day losing your(his) Jap Citz worth the risk of whatever it is you are trying to gain from this?

Being born in the RP, he's Balikbayan.

If he enters the country with proof of that (NSO BC) he should get:

• A free pass for one year
  • The ability to buy land up to I think 1500sqm
  • No Travel Tax on departure
  • No need (I believe) for an ACR-I card
  • The right work in the RP

If he gets RP citz he gets:

• To pay travel tax each time he leaves the country
  • To wonder for the rest of his life if he'll lose his Jap citz
  • To vote

You said you go out of the country a lot so not getting RP citz seems the cheaper to me.  And if you're a Filipina you can buy more land in your name.

• Like 1

SkyMan

With the Philippines saying basically the same thing about native born, once you have it by birth, you can't lose it.
No, they are saying if you lose it you can get it back.  But that doesn't mean your other citz is safe.

She should at least consult first with a district BI attorney before going to Japan
I can tell you he will say it is no problem because he wants the $50.  She doesn't have to GO to Japan.  Email, telephone, etc.

That Masked Man

I certainly hope you will take the advice on this that Roger gave.....

Well, you can go by the old adage of "Anything is legal until you get caught."  Is the possibility of one day losing your(his) Jap Citz worth the risk of whatever it is you are trying to gain from this?

You said you go out of the country a lot so not getting RP citz seems the cheaper to me.  And if you're a Filipina you can buy more land in your name.

It sounds to me like the main advantage to reaquiring/recognizing Philippines citizenship is to own land. An important thing to remember is that there is no time limit to doing this, so it might be best to wait until retirement. Of course that would also depend on how the Japanese equivalent to Social Security works. But for someone who travels a lot, a Japanese passport is definitely better. For the kind of travelling I would do, it is better than a US passport much less a Filipino one. It allows visa free travel to China, which a US passport does not, which seems really strange to me. There are only 2 countries AFAIK where a Philippines passport is an advantage over Japanese - the Philippines (duh!) and Brazil, which has 90 days visa free for Filipinos but not Japanese or Americans, I have no idea why.

No, they are saying if you lose it you can get it back.  But that doesn't mean your other citz is safe.

I can tell you he will say it is no problem because he wants the $50.  She doesn't have to GO to Japan.  Email, telephone, etc.

Since it is the Japanese laws that are at issue regarding the risk of losing Japanese citizenship, it is a Japanese lawyer that needs to be consulted. I am pretty sure this would have come up before. Unless the Japanese lawyer thinks it would matter, the opinion of the Philippines law is not really relevant. Plus if it does come up later, going to a Japanese lawyer makes it look like you are trying to stay within Japanese law, as one would expect of a Japanese citizen. Going to a Filipino lawyer and not a Japanese one first makes it look like you are looking for a way to hide from Japanese law. At least that is how it looks to me. I don't know how much Japanese law considers intent, but if it does, that could be important and there is little if anything to lose by making some calls and sending some emails to check.

• Like 1

NOSOCALPINOY
The OP's issue is not that complicated to figure out. The Japan Nationality Law clearly

states, dual citizenship is not allowed in Japan, it amounts to using one passport and be

a citizen in one country only. 

He must renounce his Philippine citizenship or take the risk of loosing his Japanese

citizenship! Would he really want that to happen? He can always apply for permanent

resident in the Philippines and put his real estate assets in his Filipino spouse's name. 

Salty Dog

:beatdeadhorse:

RogerDuMond

The OP's issue is not that complicated to figure out. The Japan Nationality Law clearly
states, dual citizenship is not allowed in Japan, it amounts to using one passport and be
a citizen in one country only. 
He must renounce his Philippine citizenship or take the risk of loosing his Japanese
citizenship! Would he really want that to happen? He can always apply for permanent
resident in the Philippines and put his real estate assets in his Filipino spouse's name. 

And when you get a degree in Japanese immigration law I will suggest that she listen to you, but until then I will continue to suggest that she consult a Japanese attorney.

NOSOCALPINOY

And when you get a degree in Japanese immigration law I will suggest that she listen to you, but until then I will continue to suggest that she consult a Japanese attorney.

Exactly like what he said above! Your suggestion is

uncalled for, don't make it out to be a personal issue!

You have your own opinions and I have mine!

673.gif

Edited by NOSOCALPINOY