Sign in to follow this  
udonthani

Phillipines #10 in worldwide terrorism 'risk list'

udonthani

To provide a comprehensive picture of worldwide terrorism risk Maplecroft analyses terrorist incidents every six months for their frequency, intensity and number of victims, plus the proportion of attacks that were 'mass-casualty' in each nation. A country's historical experience of terrorism was also factored in along with threats made against it by groups such as al-Qaeda.

According to the TRI, even though the terrorist situation in Iraq has improved, the frequency, scale and human impact of attacks still makes it the most extreme risk country for terrorism, with nearly 4,500 civilians killed in 2009.

Ranked 11th in last year's Terrorism Risk Index, Thailand has now dropped two places in the ranking and into the extreme risk category. Terrorism incidents in Thailand's restive Muslim south - such as the October 2009 bomb attacks in Sungai Kolok - largely account for the country's rating.

The Philippines (10), Turkey (14), Russia (15), Nigeria (24) and Spain (34) all rate as high risk countries, whilst the UK (41), China (43), USA (46) and France (56) are considered medium risk. Countries rated at low risk include Germany (81), Canada (116) and Australia (120).

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE61F28D20100216

Lee From Cebu

Yeah Canada and Australia but I do feel very safe in carcar

Mik

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Sam: This is it.

Frodo: This is what?

Sam: If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.

Frodo: Come on, Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say.

Bilbo: [voice] It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to.

RickyL

IMO you are only in danger of terrorism here if you live in western mindanao, maybe southern Palawan too.

udonthani

the list is bullshit. What's Egypt doing at #54. Literally hundreds of tourists have been killed there in the past twenty years, and all over the country too - not just in a small area.

Pedro

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)

Sam: This is it.

Frodo: This is what?

Sam: If I take one more step, it'll be the farthest away from home I've ever been.

Frodo: Come on, Sam. Remember what Bilbo used to say.

Bilbo: [voice] It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to.

I agry with that.

I was working in the nearly all off the top 10 and still alive.

look for you and exspecialy behind you and you are save.

Gosh when time came you have no choice anyway.

Alan S

the list is bullshit.

Agreed.

barty

IMO you are only in danger of terrorism here if you live in western mindanao, maybe southern Palawan too.

What has happened in Southern Palawan and where? I went there just over a year ago and was the only white guy in the town so I did feel a bit uneasy. But I never felt in danger as I was with my girlfriend and her family lived there. Can you please give some facts on the reason why you say not to go there as I can't find anything searching.

broden

is there anywhere other then what was written in the article that you can access the actual list ? maybe i just missed seeing a link

wondering where Mexico sits, i know plenty of Mexicans that as of the last couple of years won't even go back for a visit as it now stands

i remember a story in the news sometime last year about a top cop from some town making a run for the boarder and being allowed entry to the USA cause the drug cartels took over his town and his fellow police men were all either killed run off or joined them

but perhaps that kind of stuff isn't taken in to consideration when the list is about terrorism

cebubird

And plain old every day common sense says that Germany would be a VERY high risk due to the Islamic population there.

lazydays

Southern Palawan's close proximity to East Malaysia,should make one air on the side of caution.

Edited by lazydays

barty

It seems that attack nearly a decade ago was on a small island near Palawan. It's a bit unfair to label Palawan as a dangerous place because of that one incedent which could have been carried out in any part of the Philippines. No one would go to that resort besides very wealthy people anyway and what is the chance this would happen again?. I traveled right around Palawan from the bottom to the top and the people were very friendly most of the time and I would imagine it is the same as any other part of the Philippines. The biggest risk for me was watching out for people walking along the road, that we didn't hit them in the van or bike. Maybe dogs or animals running across the road was possible too. As for people threats, I think it is the same as anywhere else in the world, you get mostly good people but there is always the odd one who doesn't look so friendly.

Edited by barty

spooks

Southern Palawan's close proximity to East Malaysia,should make one air on the side of caution.

East Malaysia is Sabbah. A peaceful modern state with many OFW from SW Mindanao living and working there. When asked they said they preferred it as it was clean, law and order was not corrupt and they could earn a good living whilst sleeping safe in their beds at night.

Now who wants to live in such a dangerous place :welcome2:)

M

hagler

hmmm... here we go. Southern Palawan. I am pretty well aquainted with it and the most recent visit was 5 weeks ago and will be back there in about 3 weeks time again. And when I say Southern I mean real Southern , as in the bottom tip and surrounding areas up to Sucud on the West Coast. Beautiful part of the world and the Southern West Coast is mainly unexplored and almost inaccesible by land ( 3 days to go 32 kms on a TMX in the dry season kinda says it all). But are there "baddies" there?

Unfortunately the short answer is yes. If for some strange reason you end up right at the bottom there you will be "checked out" by the local Mullah and if you fail to "pass muster" then things could get a tad hairy. The main reason I know this is that when I arrived at the very bottom on my first trip there I was a little surpised to hear the local speaking Bahasa Malay even through it was still the Philippines. I do speak Bahasa but didnt let on that I did for a while and the conversation was definately running along the lines of "who is this guy and why is he here and should we do something about it" It was left up to the Kepala Desa ( village head) to conduct an "interview" at which point my bahasa became very fluent for the next 40 minutes or so...lol. Had I not spoken Bahasa then things may have turned out very differently I think.

The bottom part is very, very "porous" and it is very, very common practice for locals and Malays to travel between Kodak (near Sandakan) in Malaysia and Bulibuyian on the Southern tip of Palawan by boat without any form of immigration or police checks. I also know of a foreign guy who has done it too on a very, very quiet basis ;-). The southern west coast is basically undeveloped apart from small scale fishing settlements every now and then and there is absolutely no form of formal police prescence there so there are many many places for people to hide out if they wanted to.

Now before anyone gets all steamed up and overexcited we are talking here about parts of Palawan where when asked the question " do you see many travellers here" got the response " oh yes we had a guy from Australia here looking for treasure in 1995". and that question was asked in 2007...

I love that part of the world and feel right at home there.

Edited by hagler