Sign in to follow this  
pianoman

Taxi Safety - advice please

pianoman

Hi all

I'm coming in a few weeks from the UK and staying at the Appletree Suite as recommended here

My girlfriend lives in Basak Pardo and unfortunately her parents won't let her stay with me at the hotel thumbs_down.gif

At the end of the evening I will taxi back to make sure she is home and then get another taxi back to the hotel. I spoke to a couple of her relatives who tell me it is unsafe for a foreigner to get a taxi on their own at night in case of mugging.

If I get a legitimate metered cab is this not safe or am I being even more naive ? biggrin_01.gif

Please give me your advice on this, you were so helpful last time

Rob

Don.

In over 5 years of riding taxis in Cebu on almost a daily basis I never had a problem.

Her family is just concerned about you, but you should be safe.

To make them feel better, have them write down the taxi number every time you ride back to your hotel.

til

I'll just tell you how it worked for me on my first visit with my now fianc

Slayer

In over 5 years of riding taxis in Cebu on almost a daily basis I never had a problem.

To make them feel better, have them write down the taxi number every time you ride back to your hotel.

I agree with Don and as a matter of fact when you catch taxis from in front of some hotels and other nice places they write down the number as well. Since starting this practice, problems with taxi drivers has went down quite a bit. Some Filipinas also text the taxi information to a family member or friend as soon as they get in. Having said this, you should be fine as catching a taxi is much safer than some other transportation methods.

Cary

You can also find a taxi driver that you like and keep him on retainer. I believe others have said that there is a driver named George, I think who many on this forum like in the Cebu area. Check out the old messages and get his number. But again you and your girl friend should be ok with the taxis.

pianoman

I'll just tell you how it worked for me on my first visit with my now fianc

pianoman

Thanks - good advice :blink: !

lazydays

Ha Ha been through all that.

My wife (then 24) didn't have a chaperone at the first meet,coz we had known each other online for nearly 2 yrs,and her cousin worked at the hotel where she arranged to meet me.

Yes,she also had to return home every evening,although it was just 15 mins drive away.

Edited by lazydays

musicman666

getting a taxi in cebu/mandaue/cebu airport is pretty safe if it was elsewhere then i would try and get a legitimate taxi that has just dropped off a fair or i hail down.

the ones i try to avoid are the ones that have been waiting empty and slide up to you as you emerge from a tourist prone area because this may well be the taxi that takes you on a special trip to some back alley.

Edited by musicman666

Art

That hotel sits on a back street I have stayed there twice there is another hotel across the road from it so you will find a taxi hanging around outside usually. Maybe you can get to know one of them specially if the hotel knows them. There is a laundry across the street on the left that will wash your clothes for around 25 pesos a kg that was two years ago.

There is a restaurant on the top with views of the mountains. They have wireless internet up there and also down in the lobby.

I have posted an aerial photo that is 5 years old I have circled where I think the Appletree suites are. You can see that J Llorente St is a dogleg kind of street my taxi driver couldn't find it when I came from the airport we had to ask a Policeman. We went past Robinsons Mall, right into Gen Maxilom Ave, then left into Juana Osmena St, then left again into J Llorente St.

If you walk out the front door of the hotel and turn right walk to the corner where J Llorente st turns there is an arcade on your right you can walk through to get to Fuente Osmena Circuit otherwise you have to walk around the block either way from the hotel. There was a money changer in the arcade on your left as you walk through who gave me very good exchange rates. They close that arcade late at night.

The building with the red X on it is Robinson's Mall its a lot smaller than SM or Ayala Malls but has some coffee and fast food places. The other big green building in Don Mariano Cui St is Chong Hua Hospital supposed to be the best hospital in Cebu.

Once you get used to the city a little you might find a better hotel closer to your girl until then you could ask for a discount or a promo rate. My first trip to Cebu they upgraded me to a better room for the same price which made me wonder how bad was the original room. My next visit I asked for a discount because I was staying for 6 days and they gave it to me.

If you have never been to the Philippines or Asia before nothing prepares you for the reality. The poverty will get you. You have to be tough inside and ignore the beggars and the street hustlers on the circuit its normal life for them. Good luck with everything.

post-479-126638254597_thumb.jpg

broden

some people will tell you not to go anywhere alone simply because they don't want you out of their grasp

some people will tell you not to go anywhere alone cause they are honestly paranoid. alot of Filipino's really do believe there is alot more danger out there then there really is

and then it only takes one thing happening for them to be right

i remember my mother in law getting angry with my yet to be wife when ever i would get up and walk from my hotel to their place in pasil earlier in the morning then my wife would get up (often when it was still dark)... she wanted my wife to be at my hotel to meet me .. cause she was worried .. my father in law just got a kick out of it

she always wanted my wife or her brother(s)to walk back to the hotel with me at night to.. well i wanted to walk she would of rathered a cab .. my mother in law that is .. usually i'd split the difference and let who ever get themselves back home too ...

play it by ear .. not worth causing someone alot of grief and worry over your safety

i don't know where you are from but if you are from a city Cebu is not any harder then any other city to get the hang of .. same rules about taking care of yourself still apply

Edited by broden

KeithAngel

The pension opposite is called fuente bit battleship grey for my tastes

Art is quiet right that cabs may not know the street and walking through the little arcade a good tip theres always cabs on the circle looking for a fare

Its very unlikly to have a problem I didnt in six months what do was learn to act like Id been living there a while, know your destination name in this case returning from anywhere in Cebu and if the guy driving is younger than you say "Fuente ta dong" lock the door check the meter is on and relax and have a laugh about football or your favourite topic :)

Your whithin walking distance to Casa Verde good eating and Robinsons on the circle has a supermarket money changer and food court enjoy

RickyL

I met an american guy in Manila last year and his advice to me about taxis was to, always get your bags and stuff out of the taxi before you pay the driver. In the past A friend of his paid the driver and got out of the taxi to get his things but the driver sped away...

angelescitypi

I've stayed at the Appletree Suites Hotel about 12 times over the past 3 years. It is at 22JLLorente Street and most taxi drivers know it fairly well. It sounds like your girlfriend's family is genuinely concerned for your safety however I can assure you that the hotel guard will definitely write down the taxi data before you leave or upon your arrival unless there is no problem. The hotel staff (particularly day shift ) are VERY good, warm and accomodating. If you have ANY questions just ask Caryl who is usually behind the front desk. She has called Shrangrila, Tambulli Resorts and Plantation Bay as well as sought out ferry information for me to take day trips. The only downside in my humble opinion is it is a NONSMOKING hotel (do I hear cheers?).

Ampeng Lang

I've taken taxis ALL over the Philippines. The other posters have all told you good advice so follow it. Actually Sunday night (Valentines Day) I had perhaps my first issue with a taxi driver in 5 years of coming to the phils (3 coming to Cebu). Outside Appletree Suites I hailed a taxi and made an offer: Take me and my date to Sutokil (Mactan seafood place), wait in the parking lot for one hour then take us to Sunflower City Disco in Lahug. I offered him 500PHP. You generally bargain large trips of 30 min or more each way. He reluctantly agreed although he tried to get 700P then 600P. I said hey dude 500P or I just take another taxi. He agreed to the 500. So he then proceeds to drive like a bat out of hell, swerving in and out of traffic and making lurching short stops.

Well we were generally sick of his shabu like antics and were ready to tell him his services were no longer needed when he arrives at our destination a full 15 minutes earlier than anticipated. At that point before I could open my mouth he starts to yell that he doesn't like the deal, he cannot WILL NOT wait and to just pay him 250P. I counter with 200P as he has not fufilled his part of the deal. All of a sudden he starts jerking about, cursing in Visayan and TRYING to act intimidating. Well I'm 6 ft, 230 Lbs and In NO WAY frightened by this .......er.....driver. So we bounce out of the cab and I say follow me. I head STRAIGHT to PNP Station 2 on the other side of the parking lot. We tell our story to the police who immediately become interested when I said he looked like he was on Shabu. Me and three of Mactan's Finest are soon out the door to find this chap. Of course you know once he saw the American saunter in the police station on my own power now rolling out to get HIM (Egads) he disappeared in the moonlight. Again I say I have not had ANY issues with taxi drivers as I pay them what WE AGREED upon. Not more or less.

broden

I met an american guy in Manila last year and his advice to me about taxis was to, always get your bags and stuff out of the taxi before you pay the driver. In the past A friend of his paid the driver and got out of the taxi to get his things but the driver sped away...

this is a good idea anywhere in the world .. if you have stuff in the trunk though many drivers the world over just ain't gonna let that happen till they have money in hand