Don't Want to Start a Stampede but...

Jess Bartone

Now I'll tell you a true, and funny, story.

Some years ago a client of mine was planning to set up a factory in the Philippines to make condoms. Whilst most would have been exported, some would go to the aid agencies who would distribute them locally. (It makes little sense to ship latex <which is around 50% water> from SE Asia, to US/Europe, process it, then ship the goods back again.)

It was going to be on the Bataan export processing zone, and I was doing all the leg work, dealing with the various officals, suppliers etc.

On one trip, the directors had flown to Manila from somewhere else, and they wanted some samples taken from the UK so that at the meetings they could show the different types they made.

So, at their request, I collected a couple of thousand from their existing factory, and packed them in my briefcase.

Arriving at NAIA, the guy asked to look in my briefcase, which I opened. He looked, did a rough count, then asked me how long I was staying.

I said, "two weeks".

The look on his face was priceless! Just wish I could have photographed it.

So I guess you've heard the one about the old bull and the young bull. The young bull says "I'm gonna run down there to that cow paddock and have me one of them cows". The old bull (Alan) says "Ok you go ahead, but I think I'll just stroll down and have 'em all".

hahaha, Alan, I could imagine!

One thing I'm thinking though with buying condoms there, how reliable are they? I mean some of the stuff I have seen they sell there looked a little cheap sometimes. Like the clothes that seemed to be all rejects from china for example. I'm a little worried the condoms might be from rejects or B grade ones from China or whatever, I'm not joking either! thumbs_down.gif

The Mason

Well its good to hear that the authorities are finally waking up to HIV/AIDS awareness.

Condoms have been available free at many clinics for years,sadly,not enough filipino/a's make use of them.

Funny how it takes HIV/AIDS to spur the authorities into more action,and not the fast rising over population.

I sometimes think Phils could do with a Chinese style policy,(but not as harsh) maybe a 2 or 3 child limit on couples.

Just my humble opinion.

I will keep my address private,just in case any catholics may want to bomb my house.LOL.biggrin_01.gif

So, I guess your stance is that foreigners should stop telling Filipinos what to do when it comes to the trivial things in life, like using the word brownout or blackout.

However, for the important things like family planning, religion, and population control, its ok for foreigners to tell Filipinos what to do?

How did you arrive at this philosophy of how and when foreigners should instruct Filipinos on the correct way to do things?

KeithAngel

My view on that is that every one has a right to draw attention to the paradox of unbridled expotential "growth" in a population will lead to visits from the four horsemen and of course a Country is free to choose that.

Some years ago a client of mine was planning to set up a factory in the Philippines to make condoms. Whilst most would have been exported, some would go to the aid agencies who would distribute them locally. (It makes little sense to ship latex <which is around 50% water> from SE Asia, to US/Europe, process it, then ship the goods back again.)

It was going to be on the Bataan export processing zone, and I was doing all the leg work, dealing with the various officals, suppliers etc.

On one trip, the directors had flown to Manila from somewhere else, and they wanted some samples taken from the UK so that at the meetings they could show the different types they made.

So, at their request, I collected a couple of thousand from their existing factory, and packed them in my briefcase.

Arriving at NAIA, the guy asked to look in my briefcase, which I opened. He looked, did a rough count, then asked me how long I was staying.

I said, "two weeks".

:lol::ROFLMAO::thumbs_up:

One thing I'm thinking though with buying condoms there, how reliable are they? I mean some of the stuff I have seen they sell there looked a little cheap sometimes. Like the clothes that seemed to be all rejects from china for example. I'm a little worried the condoms might be from rejects or B grade ones from China or whatever, I'm not joking either! thumbs_down.gif

At the time I was involved, there were many examples of very poor quality condoms coming out of China. Some, in the packaging of Trojan, Durex and other major, and reputable, makers.

The company got many samples of these "knock-offs" and found a failure rate of over 50%, sometimes much worse.

I doubt the situation has changed.

I would advise buying branded goods in your "home" country if possible.

One way to check if they are the brand stated on the packing or not, is to undo a quantity and check the size.

To comply with ISO spec they must be certain sizes within quite close limits.

Most of the fake ones vary widely in size.

On that subject, because the size required varies, the company started to sell three different sizes, small, medium and large.

Now, there isnt a man in the world who would walk into a shop and ask for "condoms, small size please". Hence they didnt sell.

They then changed the packing to read "large", "extra large", and "super-size", and sales rocketed. (It was actually my suggestion.)

Arent we a vain lot!

I said, "two weeks".

rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif ........... sure he didnt asked you how you manage it or exchange secrets????????? now, now..... tell the truth....thats-funny.gif

164.x600.feat.illo.condom.jpg?

They then changed the packing to read "large", "extra large", and "super-size", and sales rocketed. (It was actually my suggestion.)

Arent we a vain lot!

ha ha............ im a good girl so i wont ask the obvious......... rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

but on the same vein, i remember, a story about my cousin when she went into a fight with the SIL.............. SIL accused my cousin of being a gold digger and a sex maniac. my cousin faced her SIL and told her in everyones hearing........ that she is not a gold digger and could afford to feed and cloth her husband herself. and there is plenty on offer in colon - you can choose SMALL, MEDIUM or LARGE but she is only interested in her husbands dick! shocked.gif

i hear the story secondhand but i still collapse with laughter....... biggrin_01.gif

At the time I was involved, there were many examples of very poor quality condoms coming out of China. Some, in the packaging of Trojan, Durex and other major, and reputable, makers.

The company got many samples of these "knock-offs" and found a failure rate of over 50%, sometimes much worse.

I doubt the situation has changed.

I would advise buying branded goods in your "home" country if possible.

One way to check if they are the brand stated on the packing or not, is to undo a quantity and check the size.

To comply with ISO spec they must be certain sizes within quite close limits.

Most of the fake ones vary widely in size.

On that subject, because the size required varies, the company started to sell three different sizes, small, medium and large.

Now, there isnt a man in the world who would walk into a shop and ask for "condoms, small size please". Hence they didnt sell.

Arent we a vain lot!

Really, wow that is very interesting so my suspicions are warranted. Only problem is I was hoping to bring just my carry on luggage, shoulder bag. I guess I could pack a few boxes of Super size in there somewhere to last for the first few days thumbs_down.gif Will have to find a reliable outlet somewhere if I plan to live there for awhile though.

lazydays

Well its good to hear that the authorities are finally waking up to HIV/AIDS awareness.

Condoms have been available free at many clinics for years,sadly,not enough filipino/a's make use of them.

Funny how it takes HIV/AIDS to spur the authorities into more action,and not the fast rising over population.

I sometimes think Phils could do with a Chinese style policy,(but not as harsh) maybe a 2 or 3 child limit on couples.

Just my humble opinion.

I will keep my address private,just in case any catholics may want to bomb my house.LOL.biggrin_01.gif

So, I guess your stance is that foreigners should stop telling Filipinos what to do when it comes to the trivial things in life, like using the word brownout or blackout.

However, for the important things like family planning, religion, and population control, its ok for foreigners to tell Filipinos what to do?

How did you arrive at this philosophy of how and when foreigners should instruct Filipinos on the correct way to do things?

Nowhere did i state that foreigners should tell them what to do about birth control or AIDS,they were personal suggestions.

I also applauded them for starting to take these issues more seriously.

Whatever they decide to do about those two matters,will not personally effect me one iota.