Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Dengue Fever Information / Files

Headshot

Thanks for sharing that with us the readers. Boy your sure had it bad, much worse than myself. I feel for you as mine was bad enough. My big problem was my foot, could not walk for some days and the hands would not open. After the rather radical drug colchicine I am 75% OK. The side effects how ever were most unpleasant.

I think my doctor was referring to the fact that once you have gout Allopurinol. will not help. As stated on the wrapping, and from my own Internet searching its anti gout, meaning a preventive if taken on a regular basis. As you have pointed out, it will return so once my hands come right, I shall seek advice on dosage to take regularly.

Guess mostly my own fault as I love all the uric acid foods, shrimps, drink beer, and worst of all I just love mongo beans....Must change the diet, A tip I received from a fellow member: Beer Na Beer for what ever reason does not effect one like San mig....After the gout experience I am not willing how ever test this theory.

You are right about allopurinol. Allopurinol is a preventive medication...NOT a cure for gout (there is no cure). I take 300mg tablets (one a day), which was what my doctor prescribed. Once you are on allopurinol, you can eat and drink the things you like (as long as you do so in moderation). By the way, for the most part, your body is capable of producing its own uric acid. All of the foods you mentioned are very high in protein. Allopurinol works is to block the chemical reactions that cause the uric acid crystals from being formed in your bloodstream. The only food that I know of that is actually high in uric acid is asparagas, which I avoid (it is why you can smell asparagas in your urine after you have eaten it). Colchicine isn't a cure either, but merely covers the symptoms (it doesn't really even treat them). It will also do nothing to prevent the long-term damage that gout can cause to the joints. If there is a difference in beers, and how they affect gout, it is because beers contain protein in varying quantities. Maybe San Miguel has more protein than Beer na Beer. On allopurinol, I eat meats, including red meats and shrimp. I don't drink beer because I never liked the taste, but as I understand it, you don't have to give it up if you are taking allopurinol to treat your inflammatory arthritis. For beer drinkers, that alone might be reason enough to get on the medication to prevent gout.

rbm

Thanks for sharing that with us the readers. Boy your sure had it bad, much worse than myself. I feel for you as mine was bad enough. My big problem was my foot, could not walk for some days and the hands would not open. After the rather radical drug colchicine I am 75% OK. The side effects how ever were most unpleasant.

I think my doctor was referring to the fact that once you have gout Allopurinol. will not help. As stated on the wrapping, and from my own Internet searching its anti gout, meaning a preventive if taken on a regular basis. As you have pointed out, it will return so once my hands come right, I shall seek advice on dosage to take regularly.

Guess mostly my own fault as I love all the uric acid foods, shrimps, drink beer, and worst of all I just love mongo beans....Must change the diet, A tip I received from a fellow member: Beer Na Beer for what ever reason does not effect one like San mig....After the gout experience I am not willing how ever test this theory.

You are right about allopurinol. Allopurinol is a preventive medication...NOT a cure for gout (there is no cure). I take 300mg tablets (one a day), which was what my doctor prescribed. Once you are on allopurinol, you can eat and drink the things you like (as long as you do so in moderation). By the way, for the most part, your body is capable of producing its own uric acid. All of the foods you mentioned are very high in protein. Allopurinol works is to block the chemical reactions that cause the uric acid crystals from being formed in your bloodstream. The only food that I know of that is actually high in uric acid is asparagas, which I avoid (it is why you can smell asparagas in your urine after you have eaten it). Colchicine isn't a cure either, but merely covers the symptoms (it doesn't really even treat them). It will also do nothing to prevent the long-term damage that gout can cause to the joints. If there is a difference in beers, and how they affect gout, it is because beers contain protein in varying quantities. Maybe San Miguel has more protein than Beer na Beer. On allopurinol, I eat meats, including red meats and shrimp. I don't drink beer because I never liked the taste, but as I understand it, you don't have to give it up if you are taking allopurinol to treat your inflammatory arthritis. For beer drinkers, that alone might be reason enough to get on the medication to prevent gout.

Very imformative posts, I have learnt a lot from your sad experience as have I am sure many others. I hope you remain free from gout in future, again thanks for the info.

loosehead

Very imformative posts, I have learnt a lot from your sad experience as have I am sure many others. I hope you remain free from gout in future, again thanks for the info.

I'm prone to gout too and i agree with most of Headshot's posts. I take a 100mg allopurinol daily. I tried natural cures and dieting but eventually started taking the daily dose. Yes it is hereditary and painful which isn't helped by gout being known to be triggered by dietry excess and so you get jokes from friends and workmates about being a relative of Henry VIII. I have had it in the big toe joints, knee, wrists and knuckes. When you get an acute attack it hurts even to have a bed sheet on your foot. If you have it in the knee, you can't walk. But I don't believe it is as painful as childbirth, Just men are big pussies and can't handle pain as well as women. I don't think I could keep a straight face and describe my gout as "imnflammatory arthritis". Whenever I used to limp in to my Doctor, he would say "been drinking plenty ?" so no sympathy there.

There are two things that trigger my gout straight away, tomatoes and particularly the tomato concentrate they put in tom yum soup and the other is excessive red wine. Mongo and other beans should be fine. Lean meat is ok but no offal. I love prawns and shrimps too and have never had any problem with any seafood. In fact mussels are supposed to be a miracle cure for arthritis along with olive leaf extract. My doctor told me there's something in strawberrries that prevents gout but he wasn't impressed when i told him I cover the strawberies with icing sugar and cointreau.

rbm i would see a doctor about getting on the allopurinol but wouldn't suggest you jump to the maximum 300mg straight away. I am only on a third of that dose and I probably remember to take the tablet about 3 days a week. Yes the colchicine is for when you have acute attacks and is used in conjunction with anti-imflammatory capsules. I'm 10 years down the track so i can feel an attack coming through tingling in my knuckles and it's always when I forget to take my tablet for a few days or more. I take the anti-inflammatories for a day and it goes away.

Like Type 2 diabetes (which I don't have), i believe I could control my gout through a strict diet and exercise program but that's no fun so i take the pill (when I remember). I have found fish oil capsules to be very good not only for the gout but for arthritis from old sports injuries. I take 4 big salmon oil capsules a day. Other guys I know take gloucosimine (some sort of shark extract) for arthritis and gout prevention.

The dengue is a hard one to combat because the mozzie is a daytime feeder. Most people know to take precautions at dawn and dusk but it's hard to remember to roll on the deet during the day and i'm sure the single blokes would prefer not to smell like mozzie repellant when they are on the hunt for filipinas.

For anyone with dehydration, water is insufficient and to advise people to drink only mineral water is dangerous. The hydrating salts you can buy at the chemist are really good. If it's serious you should be on a saline drip. I agree that the packet salts are much better than gatorade but i would give gatorade if nothing better available or for kids who are fussy about the taste.

Limping loosehead

rbm

I'm prone to gout too and i agree with most of Headshot's posts. I take a 100mg allopurinol daily. I tried natural cures and dieting but eventually started taking the daily dose. Yes it is hereditary and painful which isn't helped by gout being known to be triggered by dietry excess and so you get jokes from friends and workmates about being a relative of Henry VIII. I have had it in the big toe joints, knee, wrists and knuckes. When you get an acute attack it hurts even to have a bed sheet on your foot. If you have it in the knee, you can't walk. But I don't believe it is as painful as childbirth, Just men are big pussies and can't handle pain as well as women. I don't think I could keep a straight face and describe my gout as "imnflammatory arthritis". Whenever I used to limp in to my Doctor, he would say "been drinking plenty ?" so no sympathy there.

Good to read your input loosehead, interesting.

I have spent some time on the net reading up about it, a lot of conflicting data out there, more confused than ever.

Would be interested to know at what stage one should commence allopurinol as a preventative. For instance I am now in recession, just some stiffness in fingers wrists and shoulder. Having read allopurinol can do more harm than good if taken during an acute attack I am just a bit puzzeled when to start.

My worst period was about 10 days ago, since this time with careful diet control and some ibruprofen slowly improving

loosehead

Good to read your input loosehead, interesting.

I have spent some time on the net reading up about it, a lot of conflicting data out there, more confused than ever.

Would be interested to know at what stage one should commence allopurinol as a preventative. For instance I am now in recession, just some stiffness in fingers wrists and shoulder. Having read allopurinol can do more harm than good if taken during an acute attack I am just a bit puzzeled when to start.

My worst period was about 10 days ago, since this time with careful diet control and some ibruprofen slowly improving

I was 44 when i had my first gout attack and am 55 this year. Drank a bottle of rum and woke up with a swollen foot. Been taking the low dose allopurinol for 7 years when i remember. Yes there is a lot of conflicting info and in 10 years time you will know exactly what causes your gout just like I do. You are right that you don't take allopurinol while you have the gout, you take it after the episode has passed. It took 6 months of no alcohol before i got mine under control but now i can drink whatever I want. Every other gout sufferer I have spoken to is different so you have to work it out for yourself.

A funny story if i may. When we visited the Philippines in 2004 my father in law (may he rest in peace) had been on the rum and woke up one morning with a swollen foot. They were blaming it on spider bites and other reasons and my wife saw it and said "you've got the bloody gout you old pisshead". Fortunately we had the the medicine on hand from aussie to fix the problem.

I'll be in the Phils in June and am happy to pass on some good anti-inflammatorys and some progout (allopurinol) from aussie if you need them.

Edited by loosehead

broden

my dad used to get gout on occasion

he had a particularly bad case of what they thought was gout not long before he died.. bad enough that it put him in the hospital .. then in a couple days back at home pretty incapacitated

it turned out soon after that that they realized it wasn't just a normal gout attack at all but the first presentation of the pancreatic cancer he had .. he was dead a few weeks later .. nasty stuff

just saying .. maybe you guys that get gout if you ever have an unusually bad case .. tell the doc to take a further look just in case

Thumdar

I have to tell you.., I'm planning a trip to Cebu for 2 months (late June through late August) and this thread just scared the hell out of me. It's even giving me second thoughts. Sure ~ lots of OFF! everywhere you go but dang ~ one bite on the ankle and it's misery time. It makes me question if it's worth the risk... :shitstormretarded:

Edited by Thumdar

Paul

Thumbdar, dude, I have lived in the Philippines for more than eight years.

I have yet to contract my first case of Dengue. Keep in mind one thing here, please.

This forum is not here to scare the hell out of you. It is here to help make you become a more informed traveler.

That has been its purpose since before even the original archived Living In Cebu Forums were opened.

Edited by Admin

Aaron

Thumdar, I have been here 11 of the past 13 years. I have known several foreigners who got it though, but most of us -no. Wherever I live, I make sure that inside its clear of skeeters. I also don't sit around outside -especially in certain areas, during early morning or late afternoon. Simple precaution.

Nothing is guaranteed, but simple awareness goes a long way.

Edited by Aaron

Thumdar

Thanks guys.

eggnoggin

Sam Mcgoos got a little "formaldehyde" for kick...white rice is polished with talc and insinuates itself into the tiniest parts of the body..joints.. pecker.. go for the unpolished brown .. etc...many parasites mimic and or exacerbate gout and symptoms..you can obtain these critters from your spouse and both of you live withot symptoms most of the time due to suppression by your immune system...it amazing what all your little corpsuckles and stuff keep under control while youre in prime shape.. avon skin so soft is a great daily ablution for skeeties..these guys love white socks at dawn and twilight..watch your ankles most of all...but your shoulders and upper arms as you recline at the end of the day are also yummy...cheap and broken rice is loaded with talc... :oldtimer:the huge amounts of growth hormone...cheap antibiotics in seafood and fish farming... in the medium and product can and will cause all sorts of imbalance in the immune and lympahatic systems...i like to stick to the pink clams and snappers.. :scratch_head:

Edited by eggnoggin

RogerDuMond

I was 44 when i had my first gout attack and am 55 this year. Drank a bottle of rum and woke up with a swollen foot. Been taking the low dose allopurinol for 7 years when i remember. Yes there is a lot of conflicting info and in 10 years time you will know exactly what causes your gout just like I do. You are right that you don't take allopurinol while you have the gout, you take it after the episode has passed. It took 6 months of no alcohol before i got mine under control but now i can drink whatever I want. Every other gout sufferer I have spoken to is different so you have to work it out for yourself.

A funny story if i may. When we visited the Philippines in 2004 my father in law (may he rest in peace) had been on the rum and woke up one morning with a swollen foot. They were blaming it on spider bites and other reasons and my wife saw it and said "you've got the bloody gout you old pisshead". Fortunately we had the the medicine on hand from aussie to fix the problem.

I'll be in the Phils in June and am happy to pass on some good anti-inflammatorys and some progout (allopurinol) from aussie if you need them.

I was about 50 the first time that I got it. I always get it in my foot. The doctor told me that it is from uric acid crystallizing out in a joint. One of the most important thing is to keep your intake of fluids high. I usually get it once every year or two. I take one or two indomethacine 50 mg. (anti-inflammatory) and it knocks it right out. It is available in the Philippines without a prescription, but consult a physician before taking it the first time.

RogerDuMond

Sam Mcgoos got a little "formaldehyde" for kick..

There is no formaldehyde in San Miguel or any other beer except for a few small Chinese breweries that do not export.

http://lewbryson.com/formaldehyde.htm

Sorry for going off topic. It won't happen again (until next time), but this is an important health related fallacy.

Edited by RogerDuMond

stagger

Excellent Post!

Thanks for the info, so far have not had any mozzies in the condo!

cebuadvisor

we should be alarmed by this issue even up to this point, in Samar,our province,,some kids died already...from what i learned when u have the fever already then u wait 3 days before a CBC or complete blood count and after that if platelet will drop and hematocrit will increase so thers a posibility of dengue then, howver there are also some diseases such as Typhoid fever where platelet count also drop,,,,the best thing to do while on fever and and its not confirmed yet if its dengue or not is to replenish body with an electrolyte component drink,,such as GLUCOLYTE, or oresol in common term,,gatorade will do also...and be alarm specially when u see any bleeding,,its already higher stage of dengue...so better not eat chocolate colored food so that it will not hinder the exact result of any stool exam that may lead to false alarm of intestinal bleding...search4.gif