Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Dengue Fever Information / Files

JamesMusslewhite

I know very little about Dengue, other than the fact that I have never contracted it here. But, I do know that, without question, you need to make sure that you drink as much Gatorade as possible, to prevent dehydration.

I hope the above files help educate you a bit more, on Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever.

Just saw a TV program about the benefits of coconut water, it has all if not more regenerative properties as Gatorade or high end sports drinks. In the States it is expensive, but here it is easily obtained fresh right off the palm. So maybe there is a new slogan that can be coined.

"A coconut a day, helps keep Dengue away."

• Like 1

musicman666

im curious as to where the mozzies are breeding .. i live on a hill so there arent any open bodies of water about but they come in droves every morning. Obviously there must be some still water somewhere around.. how far will a mozzie travel from a breeding spot?

Jay

I know very little about Dengue, other than the fact that I have never contracted it here. But, I do know that, without question, you need to make sure that you drink as much Gatorade as possible, to prevent dehydration.

I hope the above files help educate you a bit more, on Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever.

Just saw a TV program about the benefits of coconut water, it has all if not more regenerative properties as Gatorade or high end sports drinks. In the States it is expensive, but here it is easily obtained fresh right off the palm. So maybe there is a new slogan that can be coined.

"A coconut a day, helps keep Dengue away."

Unfortunately a coconut a day would keep me pretty close to the CR, too. I've heard good things about mangosteen juice as a curative for various ailments, but for all I know those things are published by those selling mangosteen juice as though it were snake oil.

Headshot

I have just been through a bout of dengue, as unpleasant as it is one must be careful after leaving hospital. The whole body system is stressed out and wide open to all sorts of nasties that maybe about. I had a sever infestation of gout soon after leaving hospital, currently running two weeks. Apparently it was triggered from the dengue, first time ever. Very bad and painful.

Sorry to hear that you just had a case of dengue fever (also known as "bone breaker disease" because it feels like your bones are breaking). Gout, on the other hand, is more correctly known as inflammatory arthritis (and affects the joints...typically the joint above the big toe (ball of the foot) although it can be manifested in any joint), and is genetic. If you have inflammatory arthritis, you got it from your ancestors...not from the dengue fever. The dengue may have been a trigger. I know because I also have inflammatory arthritis. The doctor who diagnosed me with inflammatory arthritis back in the States was a woman, who said it is one of the only things she knows of that is considerably more painful than childbirth.

I have been on Allopurinol for a couple of years now, and haven't had any recurrence of gout. BTW, if you have one outbreak, you will have it again unless you get on medication to prevent it. I don't know how bad your outbreak was, but I don't ever want to go through it again. In inflammatory arthritis, your body is not able to properly dispose of purines, which are by-products of protein digestion, and instead turns them into uric acid crystals. You can also get uric acid directly from some foods, such as asparagas. In any event, once the crystals are formed, they will migrate toward cartillage and embed themselves. The sharp crystals will then irritate any nerves in the area by poking them. It is pretty bad. Allopurinol helps your body to dispose of purines and uric acid from your bloodstream (and keeps you from getting kidney stones too, which is the other side of this coin). If left untreated, inflammatory arthritis will cause deformation of the joints and will eventually cripple you, so get it cared for.

Edited by Headshot

rbm
Sorry to hear that you just had a case of dengue fever (also known as "bone breaker disease" because it feels like your bones are breaking). Gout, on the other hand, is more correctly known as inflammatory arthritis (and affects the joints...typically the joint above the big toe (ball of the foot) although it can be manifested in any joint), and is genetic. If you have inflammatory arthritis, you got it from your ancestors...not from the dengue fever. The dengue may have been a trigger. I know because I also have inflammatory arthritis. The doctor who diagnosed me with inflammatory arthritis back in the States was a woman, who said it is one of the only things she knows of that is considerably more painful than childbirth.

Yes agree and thanks for your comments. The doctor treating me said that the Dengue was the trigger, and yes it is painful as the hands wrists and shoulder were badly effected. I After taking a large dose of colchicine (which has rather unpleasant side effects) its pretty much over. Still have stiff finger joints. Your right about the pain, thank god for ibuprofen, a life saver.

Interestingly the reliving Doctor (regular one on holiday) told me...stay away from Allopurinol said this will only make matter worse. This is also called anti gout so I am a little bit puzzled here.

Hope never to go through either of the two again.

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul

Headshot

Interestingly the relieving Doctor (regular one on holiday) told me...stay away from Allopurinol said this will only make matter worse. This is also called anti gout so I am a little bit puzzled here.

All I can give you is my experience. My doctor first advised me to restrict my diet by cutting back on protein, and hope that there wouldn't be any more attacks, so I did. I was told that if I went on Allopurinol, it would be for the rest of my life, which was a bit daunting to me (I mean...who wants to be tied to a medication for the rest of their life?).

Well, I tried, but you can't cut out protein altogether or you die. I was feeling weaker and weaker, and even cutting out most of the protein didn't prevent my gout from coming back. My next attack was so painful that the flashes of pain caused my entire body to jump off the bed at night. I was in complete agony, so I went back to the doctor and got the prescription for Allopurinol. That was over two years ago and I have had NO more symptoms ever since. The medication has kept the condition completely in check.

I my experience, painkillers didn't even touch the amount of pain I was experiencing, so that really wasn't an option (hopefully, your doctor told you that almost all topical pain creams contain aspirin, which aggrevates the condition...don't use them). Diet restrictions didn't work either, so medication (Allopurinol) was really my only alternative. Here is the deal...inflammatory arthritis not only causes a lot of pain. It can permanently deform and disable you by causing material to be built up in and on your joints. You could face a lifetime of pain due to deformed feet instead of just a short attack of gout. A single attack can cause damage that is totally irreversible, so don't wait until that happens before you medicate to prevent the condition.

If I was you, I would get on the Internet and do all the reading on the subject you can, so you are totally educated on the subject, and then go to another doctor. This really isn't something you want to be messing with.

DucatoArgao

Since we were talking about Dengue, here is a link to a page with a recipe of tawa tawa tea or gatas-gatas as aslo called:

Tawa Tawa Tea

fanboat

Every night I get attacked by them no see em skitters....also am collecting some kind of huge rash on my arms...hope I don't catch this dengue fever....if I do the fan better keep working...as even when it goes off for 10 minutes...it is too hot in here!

lazydays

AEDES AEGYPTI,carrier of Dengue Fever,note the black and white striping on the body and legs.

post-6307-126999260986_thumb.jpg

post-6307-12699926565_thumb.jpg

rbm

Every night I get attacked by them no see em skitters....also am collecting some kind of huge rash on my arms...hope I don't catch this dengue fever....if I do the fan better keep working...as even when it goes off for 10 minutes...it is too hot in here!

Don't worry Mr Fanboat, dengue mosies only attack during day light. Just enjoy your beer and relax, no problem. As you spend most day light hours zooming around the country on THE HOG I seriously doubt any dengue mosies can keep up with you.

rbm

Don't worry Mr Fanboat, dengue mosies only attack during day light. Just enjoy your beer and relax, no problem. As you spend most day light hours zooming around the country on THE HOG I seriously doubt any dengue mosies can keep up with you.

lazydays

Thats probably the bed bugs not the mossies biggrin_01.gif

Athena

Yes agree and thanks for your comments. The doctor treating me said that the Dengue was the trigger, and yes it is painful as the hands wrists and shoulder were badly effected. I After taking a large dose of colchicine (which has rather unpleasant side effects) its pretty much over. Still have stiff finger joints. Your right about the pain, thank god for ibuprofen, a life saver.

Interestingly the reliving Doctor (regular one on holiday) told me...stay away from Allopurinol said this will only make matter worse. This is also called anti gout so I am a little bit puzzled here.

My husband had an attack of gout recently for 2-3 weeks. Its his second attack. The 1st attack lasted about 5 weeks. His doctor just give him ibuprofen too and he was not very happy with the doctors explanation as he wanted to know what triggers it or how it can be cured. He was advice though to stay away from red meats and fatty foods (including fatty fish). Fatty foods is not a problem as he is health conscious that's why we both cannot understand why gets gout. After reading headshots post its now make sense.

When my husband had the 1st attack of gout in his foot – he used to soak his foot in a bucket of hot water then cold water. It seems to ease the pain but doesn't cure the problem he also tried using red lamp on it which again ease the pain for a while. At the moment he is completely fine but likewise is dreading the gout coming back……

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul

rbm
All I can give you is my experience. My doctor first advised me to restrict my diet by cutting back on protein, and hope that there wouldn't be any more attacks, so I did. I was told that if I went on Allopurinol, it would be for the rest of my life, which was a bit daunting to me (I mean...who wants to be tied to a medication for the rest of their life?).

Well, I tried, but you can't cut out protein altogether or you die. I was feeling weaker and weaker, and even cutting out most of the protein didn't prevent my gout from coming back. My next attack was so painful that the flashes of pain caused my entire body to jump off the bed at night. I was in complete agony, so I went back to the doctor and got the prescription for Allopurinol. That was over two years ago and I have had NO more symptoms ever since. The medication has kept the condition completely in check.

I my experience, painkillers didn't even touch the amount of pain I was experiencing, so that really wasn't an option (hopefully, your doctor told you that almost all topical pain creams contain aspirin, which aggrevates the condition...don't use them). Diet restrictions didn't work either, so medication (Allopurinol) was really my only alternative. Here is the deal...inflammatory arthritis not only causes a lot of pain. It can permanently deform and disable you by causing material to be built up in and on your joints. You could face a lifetime of pain due to deformed feet instead of just a short attack of gout. A single attack can cause damage that is totally irreversible, so don't wait until that happens before you medicate to prevent the condition.

If I was you, I would get on the Internet and do all the reading on the subject you can, so you are totally educated on the subject, and then go to another doctor. This really isn't something you want to be messing with.

Thanks for sharing that with us the readers. Boy your sure had it bad, much worse than myself. I feel for you as mine was bad enough. My big problem was my foot, could not walk for some days and the hands would not open. After the rather radical drug colchicine I am 75% OK. The side effects how ever were most unpleasant.

I think my doctor was referring to the fact that once you have gout Allopurinol. will not help. As stated on the wrapping, and from my own Internet searching its anti gout, meaning a preventive if taken on a regular basis. As you have pointed out, it will return so once my hands come right, I shall seek advice on dosage to take regularly.

Guess mostly my own fault as I love all the uric acid foods, shrimps, drink beer, and worst of all I just love mongo beans....Must change the diet, A tip I received from a fellow member Beer Na Beer for what ever reason does not effect one like San mig....After the gout experience I am not willing how ever test this theory.

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul

Headshot

My husband had an attack of gout recently for 2-3 weeks. Its his second attack. The 1st attack lasted about 5 weeks. His doctor just gave him ibuprofen too and he was not very happy with the doctors explanation as he wanted to know what triggers it or how it can be cured. He was advice though to stay away from red meats and fatty foods (including fatty fish). Fatty foods is not a problem as he is health conscious that