Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Dengue Fever Information / Files

Paul
Paul

I know very little about Dengue, other than the fact that I have never contracted it here. But, I do know that, without question, you need to make sure that you drink as much Gatorade as possible, to prevent dehydration.

I hope the above files help educate you a bit more, on Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever.

Jay

But, I do know that, without question, you need to make sure that you drink as much Gatorade as possible, to prevent dehydration.

Particularly if you drink a lot of alcohol, otherwise just mineral water will do as long as you're used to the heat and don't sweat a lot.

lazydays

Best avoided wherever possible,i know 3 foreigners who have had it,2 had the deadliest strain which causes a drop in blood platelet count,both fortunately made a recovery and managed to avoid blood transfusion (they were youngish healthy guys).

All strains are very nasty indeed,and a bigger problem than Malaria in the Phils.

Paul
Particularly if you drink a lot of alcohol, otherwise just mineral water will do as long as you're used to the heat and don't sweat a lot.

It has been too long since whomever, had given me that advice. I was at one of the hospitals in Cebu, oh, a number of years ago. It was one of the staff, a doctor I suppose, who had originally suggested that I give others that advice. (He knew I was involved in websites to disseminate helpful medical information.) Apparently the Gatorade helps replace other nutrients that water typically will not? I figured if you are suffering from Dengue, it is better than to just drink water? I don't know that information is a fact, or otherwise. I figure it can't hurt, though, to drink it. Gatorade is found all over, and certainly in the cities here. When it involved children, as that particular case did, I imagine they would be able to consume Gatorade easier than bottled water.

liquido

When I had Dengue I was told to drink plenty of Gatorade or buy those individual packets of rehydration salts..They come in differant flavors..Alot cheaper than Gatorade..........

It has been too long since whomever, had given me that advice. I was at one of the hospitals in Cebu, oh, a number of years ago. It was one of the staff, a doctor I suppose, who had originally suggested that I give others that advice. (He knew I was involved in websites to disseminate helpful medical information.) Apparently the Gatorade helps replace other nutrients that water typically will not? I figured if you are suffering from Dengue, it is better than to just drink water? I don't know that information is a fact, or otherwise. I figure it can't hurt, though, to drink it. Gatorade is found all over, and certainly in the cities here. When it involved children, as that particular case did, I imagine they would be able to consume Gatorade easier than bottled water.

David_LivinginTalisay

Sports drink

</h3>

<h3 id="siteSub">From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search A sports drink is a beverage designed to help athletes rehydrate, as well as restore electrolytes, carbohydrates, and other nutrients, which can be depleted after training or competition. Electrolyte replacement promotes proper rehydration, which is important in delaying the onset of fatigue during exercise. As the primary fuel utilized by exercising muscle, carbohydrates are important in maintaining exercise and sport performance.[1][2]

Categories of sports drinks

Sports drinks can be split into three major types.[3]

• Isotonic sports drinks contain similar concentrations of salt and sugar as in the human body.
  • Hypertonic sports drinks contain a higher concentration of salt and sugar than the human body.

• Hypotonic sports drinks contain a lower concentration of salt and sugar than the human body

Most sports drinks are moderately isotonic, having between 4 and 5 heaped teaspoons of sugar per five ounce (13 and 19 grams per 250ml) serving. They never have a pH comparable to carbonated soft drinks.[citation needed]

Risk of water intoxication

Consumption of excessive amounts of water can cause water intoxication, a potentially fatal imbalance of electrolytes in the body. Water intoxication is extremely rare. It might occur, for example, during intense exercise when heavy sweating removes water and electrolytes from the body, but only large quantities of water are consumed to replace what has been lost. The resulting low concentration of electrolytes adversely affect central nervous system function.

Many sports drinks reduce the risk of water intoxication by replenishing fluids and electrolytes in a ratio similar to that normally found in the human body. However, some sports drinks have low concentrations of electrolytes, so zealous overconsumption of them could also lead to water intoxication.[4] People whose work or exercise puts them at high risk of developing heat illness or water intoxication should seek professional advice about proper rehydration of the body.

Gatorade is not particularly healthy - due to the amount of SUGAR, in the form of High Fructose Corn Syrup. The artificial Food coloring additive, is not good for you either!

Drinking Gatorade wont kill you, and drinking it. rather than no fluid, could save your life, perhaps!

It is better than drinking SODAS like CocaCola etc

However IMHO it is BETTER to Drink Mineral Water!

Here are some sources that lead me to such opinion:-

Nutrition & Dieting: Gatorade, nutrition question, calorie drink

- [ Isalin ang pahinang ito ]Is it unhealthy to drink that much gatorade a day? Someone told me all the sodium in it is unhealthy to drink unless you need to replenish you body. ...

en.allexperts.com

• Like 1

lazydays

I just had a quick browse thro the "Dengue Final"download and it backs up what i also learnt.

A couple of years ago i knew a Japanese guy (teacher) who went down with Dengue in Davao,he was critical and approaching the need for a blood transfusion.

Initially diagnosed as Flu,the symptoms are similar.

Once diagnosed as Dengue,a filipino friend took him a drink made from Euphorbia Hirta Linn,known as Tawa-Tawa weed in Phils.

He was told to drink some every couple of hours,within 24 hrs,to the amazement of his doctors he made a full recovery.

After learning of this incident,i did some research on Dengue.What i learnt is also similar to the writers understanding.

Dengue carrying mossies are active in the day time,unlike the malaria carrier that is mostly active at night.

They are most active around dawn and dusk,minus and +1hr,especially after rainfall.

They are low flying,mainly biting feet and ankles.

They can bite through thin cotton socks,(i have personal experience of this) if wearing socks spray some repellant on the socks.

A good repellant is mans best friend against mossies,especially around dawn and dusk.

• Like 1

Headshot

Years ago, the UN came up with an oral rehydrating solution (ORS) that anybody can make. You don't have to go looking for sports drinks and it is very cheap to make. It consists of one level teaspoon of salt, eight level teaspoons of sugar and one liter of clean water (don't just use tap water unless it has been purified or boiled). Just mix or shake until everything is dissolved and drink. Just drinking water isn't as good because you are losing tons of electrolytes, which the salt makes up for. We think of table salt as sodium chloride, but it is typically a mixture of sodium, magnesium and potassium chlorides (what we think of as electrolytes). Sports drinks are generally made of approximately the same proportions (with a bit of flavoring added in). If you need the extra flavor to drink large quantities of the solution, mix in some koolaid, lemon juice, or tea to the mixture. It won't cause any problems with absorbing the liquid into your body. The solution helps with dengue, cholera, diarrhoea and and other disease that dehydrates the body. Keeping hydrated is only one part in the treatment though. If you start feeling ill in a tropical country, you need to get to a doctor. There are many things that can kill quickly if you delay treatment, and most of us aren't very good at diagnosing ourselves.

Paul

:D

As a reminder for new members coming to visit the Philippines.

eggnoggin

Lots of soaps shampoos lotions body oils rubs with "oil of citronella" around ...avon Skin so Soft etc... :) these little guys will sit on the walls for hours between the biting time..pay your wife or youngins for everyone they smack... :) if youve got a big skeetie prblm get a "skeetervac" from blue rhino.... :lee_popcorn:

Edited by eggnoggin

Jay

Years ago, the UN came up with an oral rehydrating solution (ORS) that anybody can make. You don't have to go looking for sports drinks and it is very cheap to make. It consists of one level teaspoon of salt, eight level teaspoons of sugar and one liter of clean water (don't just use tap water unless it has been purified or boiled). Just mix or shake until everything is dissolved and drink. Just drinking water isn't as good because you are losing tons of electrolytes, which the salt makes up for. We think of table salt as sodium chloride, but it is typically a mixture of sodium, magnesium and potassium chlorides (what we think of as electrolytes). Sports drinks are generally made of approximately the same proportions (with a bit of flavoring added in). If you need the extra flavor to drink large quantities of the solution, mix in some koolaid, lemon juice, or tea to the mixture. It won't cause any problems with absorbing the liquid into your body. The solution helps with dengue, cholera, diarrhoea and and other disease that dehydrates the body. Keeping hydrated is only one part in the treatment though. If you start feeling ill in a tropical country, you need to get to a doctor. There are many things that can kill quickly if you delay treatment, and most of us aren't very good at diagnosing ourselves.

I read that in Wikipedia (and I sit corrected regarding water being enough: I don't know what I was thinking of when I posted that). You can also add some mashed or pureed banana to add more potassium as well as flavor. Squeezing in the juice of a calamansi or two wouldn't hurt anything either.

I may be mistaken (again) but I believe the dengue-carrying skeeters are black, so they could easily be mistaken for small biting flies, just FYI.

Edited by Jay

rbm

I have just been through a bout of dengue, as unpleasant as it is one must be careful after leaving hospital. The whole body system is stressed out and wide open to all sorts of nasties that maybe about. I had a sever infestation of gout soon after leaving hospital, currently running two weeks. Apparently it was triggered from the dengue, first time ever. Very bad and painful.

Although Gastorade has its advantages