NPA - contact

Travelling about Leyte and Samar - the locals always mentioned the prospect of meeting up with NPA and to be careful. So are the NPA truely to be feared? Has anyone met up with NPA while travelling in country?

Chances are that if you did meet up with any, you wouldn't even know that they are NPA.

Chances are that if you did meet up with any, you wouldn't even know that they are NPA.

Thats my feeling too. That I have probably already encountered them or their sympathizers and not known it.

Jim Sibbick
Travelling about Leyte and Samar - the locals always mentioned the prospect of meeting up with NPA and to be careful. So are the NPA truely to be feared? Has anyone met up with NPA while travelling in country?

They don't wear uniforms, so as others said, you will have already met them, perhaps even drunk with them.

If you have travelled through northern Cebu in a bus, you would have been stopped by them at their toll collection point.

Should you fear them?

Yes, most definitely, if you have been mistreating Filipinos.

However,

From my experience, it seems that the NPA are on the side of right against might.

The Barangay captain in Brgy Mabini, Palompon was shot in the back of the head a few years ago by the NPA. My family live in the next barangay and it was well known how corrupt the barangay captain was.

In 2005, I arrived in Albuera one day after the NPA wiped out all but 2 or so police in a gun battle. Most of the local Filipinos were still rejoicing. The Albuera police had apparently been very corrupt. No action was being taken on rapes and robberies because they were being committed by relatives of influential Filipinos. The local police had already shown themselves to be corrupt in other ways. The media of course reported it as an attrocity perpetrated by the NPA but the local population knew better.

About 7 years ago, there was a person who decided he would set up a jeepney run between Palompon and Villaba without being authorised and in direct competition with other operators who had gone through the proper registration process. He was warned not to continue operations but did not heed the warnings. One day the NPA stopped his jeepney, had the passengers disembark without harm then burned the jeepney.

I also heard of an American with a farm on Negros somewhere who was killed by the NPA. After the killing, it was reported he had been mistreating his Filipino workers.

I didn't always have this attitude but my philosophy now is

Treat all Filipinos with respect all of the time. No matter what my personal views are, I will just grin and bear it!

That way it doesn't matter who I am interacting with. Whether they be the NPA an influential local Filipino or a beggar, I should not have to be checking my back all the time.

So, I have no personal fear of the NPA.

And when there is a Filipino with his hand out offering me a beer, I hope it is the NPA I am becoming friends with.

I hope this gives you some insight!

Regards: Jim

smokey

the NPA dont have an ax to grind with foreigners they are only interested in bashing the government ..Of course like any group some use them to earn money... kind of like the mob if you have connections you can steal or shall we say borrow from people and not pay them back...

Jess Bartone

I heard a story about a foreigner in Northern Mindanao who was disrespecrful in his attitude, which was bad enough, but he developed a crush on a 14 yo girl. One night he got drunk and went to her house, banging on the door, waking the whole neighborhood, and demanding loudly that she come out. It seems the locals were scared of him, but a few days later he disappeared, never to be seen again. NPA, or just outraged locals?

Years ago after I got married I was staying in the province in my ex's family home. One day a group of farmers showed up with my ex's step brother and stayed the night sleeping in the sala. The next morning after they were gone I was told some were NPA. This was in a house about 100 meters from a military camp where during the day armed soldiers out of uniform wandered through the yard and sometimes ate there. This was a time when NPA were ambushing soldiers they all seemed to me to be very bloody people. Sometimes its hard to know what to believe about the Philippines.

Just to let you know, I travelled Samar & Leyte by private vehicle, and I didnt have any problems at all.

Just to let you know, I travelled Samar & Leyte by private vehicle, and I didnt have any problems at all.

Same here but I never went deep into the mountains or jungles where NPA was said to be. Just staying on the main highways i never saw or heard any sign.

Thanks Jim and others for your observations and posts. I think being known as one who respects the local folk and is generous goes a long way. I believe my mamma in law uses the NPA device as way to keep her kids and me from wondering and hiking into the mountains. She knows i won't buy the wak wak stories and just learned recently that I am not afraid of the mermen who live in the lake and will pull me tothe depths ( of lake danao) .

lazydays

It has never been known for the NPA to bother or attack foreigners,their argument is with the Phils Gov't.

Some times they will blow up Communication towers or commit arson when financial demands are refused by companies.

Whether or not the NPA are an innocuous and benevolent group or not, they are considered a terrorist organization by both the Philippine and US governments.

Probably not a good idea to be supporting or fraternizing with such groups, at least knowingly. I certainly wouldn't be broadcasting it on the Internet either.

But, hey...that's just me. :welcome2:

Edited by bret
lazydays

Whether or not the NPA are an innocuous and benevolent group or not, they are considered a terrorist organization by both the Philippine and US governments.

Probably not a good idea to be supporting or fraternizing with such groups, at least knowingly. I certainly wouldn't be broadcasting it on the Internet either.

But, hey...that's just me. biggrin_01.gif

Ha ha its no wonder the US Gov't consider them a terrorist organization coz they are a Communist Party LOL. biggrin_01.gif