Jollibee Franchise

Bet, I kind of got that feeling when I opened the link. But I did not have the time to read it all. Good dig!

The other franchising opportunities for the big chains like McDo seem to have the same rules. McDo is individual only and Filipino citizen to boot!

I have heard that there is a foreigner who owns a KFC franchise here. BUT, I have to think it's his wife that owns it as the Franchise rights are owned by a Filipino and I don't see them wanting foreigners in their club. I could be wrong but look at all the rest of the franchise rules.

:lol: Imagine that they dont even want foreigners owning foreign franchises :lol:

Seems that's the biggest issue with the fils and foreign investment. They want foreigners money, but not foreign ownership and control. Those two goals are mutually exclusive. Who would want to invest money in a place where they have no ownership or control.

Big investors can do it, but us small time guys can do a whole lot more in the big scheme of things. But, then the major families and politicians would lose their control, which is a short sighted view.

40 years ago, Filipinos were hiring Hong Kong workers to do their laundry. Now it's the other way around. The richest families of Hong Kong could now buy and sell the richest in the Philippines, and most are on the Forbes top 100 lists. Hong Kong is just one city with 7 million, the Fils is a whole country with over 90 million. It's a shame...but...this song has been sung many times already .... :lol:

Well, when someone figures out a solid plan for investment in the Fils...let me know.

Otherwise, I will just be renting and leasing in the Fils and keep my main businesses and properties overseas.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bret

• Bob Ward

• lazydays

• ckfm

Top Posters In This Topic

KeithAngel

They want foreigners money, but not foreign ownership and control. Those two goals are mutually exclusive. Who would want to invest money in a place where they have no ownership or control.

I will just be renting and leasing in the Fils and keep my main businesses and properties overseas.

And the more who get it and practice that will encourage change or at least not get burned, Its fundamentally Racist behaviour that discourages the rule of law but heh eat drink and be merry we are only guests after all :lol:

They want foreigners money, but not foreign ownership and control. Those two goals are mutually exclusive. Who would want to invest money in a place where they have no ownership or control.

I will just be renting and leasing in the Fils and keep my main businesses and properties overseas.

And the more who get it and practice that will encourage change or at least not get burned, Its fundamentally Racist behaviour that discourages the rule of law but heh eat drink and be merry we are only guests after all :lol:

You got that right. Guess I should start looking at the Philippines as more of a permanent retirement vacation spot. My honey ko will own property and businesses, and maybe I will own a condo, but other then that...drink and party...its supposed to be retirement anyways.

:lol:

The only foreign-owned businesses I have been personally involved with have been those operating on the Export Processing Zones.

This greatly reduces the risk, which then is close to the ordinary risks that any business has.

(Once one makes allowances for the usual Philippine problems and attitudes.)

At least one can own 100% of the business.

Plus, and this is a big advantage, in my dealings with them I have found that PEZA (formally EPZA) are honest.

Well, if common law of the Philippines is like most other countries, then one fundamental principle is that NO contract can override the LAW.

You can write whatever you want in a contract with others, but if it's not legal, it's not enforceable. So, when anyone tells me that we can have appropriate contractual agreements that will cover over the issues with foreign ownership laws, my automatic interpretation is that...this ain't gunna fly.

Yes there are ways! But there are also laws against those ways. But there are ways around the laws. But there are ways they can enforce those laws anyway. But there are ways around that! Sound like a slippery slope? It is! More over a beer!!!

smokey

Hi All,

Any business idea can be shot down by speculation, critisism, heresay and random legal advice.

If every entrepreneur listened to the warnings, we'd still be in the stone age.

Its a bit like playing a game of chess. Nobody complains that you cant move your knight diagonally.

You just learn how to play the knight correctly, and to your advantage.

Its the same as doing business here, the rules are different, you just have to learn how to use them for you, rather than against you.

A little innovative creative thought, entrepreneureal spirit & determination, and your half way there.

i have had a few business in my years and the ones where i am owner and boss were much easier and made better profit then any of the partners type business i had... stick to what you know and there is always room for the best at anything.

There are many westerners own night clubs, restaurants on Mango Ave, Cebu. I wonder how they are doing.

Balintawak

Mama Mia. You might have seen it in. Just send me a PM with your number and ill hook you up.

Hi All,

Any business idea can be shot down by speculation, critisism, heresay and random legal advice.

If every entrepreneur listened to the warnings, we'd still be in the stone age.

Its a bit like playing a game of chess. Nobody complains that you cant move your knight diagonally.

You just learn how to play the knight correctly, and to your advantage.

Its the same as doing business here, the rules are different, you just have to learn how to use them for you, rather than against you.

A little innovative creative thought, entrepreneureal spirit & determination, and your half way there.

D26%20Man%20walking%20through%20maze.jpg

smokey

There are many westerners own night clubs, restaurants on Mango Ave, Cebu. I wonder how they are doing.

foreigner?? I think most of the clubs are owned by a local now...

I'd be willing to front 60% of the capital, for 60% of the corporations shares.

You just need to be willing to consider all risks...

...I love eating Jollibe food. I will eat all the profits. thumbsup.gif

What about Julie's Bakeshop? One of my sisters in law works there and she has been trying to talk me into it for some time now.

Jess Bartone

And the more who get it and practice that will encourage change or at least not get burned, Its fundamentally Racist behaviour that discourages the rule of law but heh eat drink and be merry we are only guests after all biggrin_01.gif

You got that right. Guess I should start looking at the Philippines as more of a permanent retirement vacation spot. My honey ko will own property and businesses, and maybe I will own a condo, but other then that...drink and party...its supposed to be retirement anyways.

thumbs_up.gif

Bret, the way I am starting to see it is that you should not invest more than you are willing to lose. To put it another way, look at it as a hobby, something that will give you pleasure, even if you only break even. Drinking and partying have their place, but not every day. You will either become bored and look for something else to do, or become a raving alco. That's why I am looking at a people business, because I honestly get pleasure from seeing people smile. Raising livestock and value adding is another one because I have some farming experience, and I love preserved meats. If I can feed my family, pay wages, pay all the bills, put fuel in my vehicles, but make no real profit, that's ok because I am not dipping in to what I have in the bank in my country of birth, or my retirement account (what we call "Superannuation" here).

And who knows? you might just surprise yourself and turn a profit, wouldnt that be fun?biggrin_01.gif

Mama Mia. You might have seen it in. Just send me a PM with your number and ill hook you up.

I think it might be Mama Marias? The two places I have visited in Cebu seem to be well run and affordable for the local market. I actually like the spaghetti as it wasnt too sweet or have hotdogs in it.. and for 49 P its the best value for fastfood spaghetti in CEBU. Pizzas are good too..but recipes could be tinkered with IMHO.

The total entry fees for a franchisor are nice too. The owner seems to have good legal advise on helping expats into the biz by using a quota visa for the invsetor and other mechanix. Seems knowlegeable and worth exploring. Could be a nice biz for someone looking.

Good luck.