Jollibee Franchise

lazydays

Well i'm not trying to put anyone off,from being enterprising.

We have a saying in the UK "A business partnership is the worst ship that ever sailed".

For me it rings true,having been involved in 2 previous business partnerships,both cost me a lot of money.

My motto now is,"If you wanna do it,do it alone".

Edited by lazydays
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bret

• Bob Ward

• lazydays

• ckfm

Top Posters In This Topic

You cannot really trust anybody in the Philippines because the legal system works so slow and moral standards in regards to money do not exist. I just had to experience it one more time when I gave 25,000 pesos to a good friend of mine in order to do some land survey, paying lawyer ec. in order to get the title for our house done while we are away. Guess what happened? He "borrowed" the money, no work done and "promises" to pay it back as soon as he has more income. I would have never thought that this could happen with this friend, maybe I will get my money back, maybe not, but lesson (again) learned.

Filipino or Foreigner? just curious!

Filipino, but he worked in the US and he has family there too, one of his sons is a doctor. Really nice guy.

Really nice guy.

He was!

Here are some problems.

According to the Foreign Ownership Negative List,

NO FOREIGNER MAY ENGAGE IN:

3.Retail trade enterprises with paid-up capital of less than US$2,500,000 (Sec. 5 of RA 8762)

(Thew notes to that state: Full foreign participation is allowed for retail trade enterprises: (a) with paid-up capital of US$2,500,000 or more provided that investments for establishing a store is not less than US$830,000;

OR,

Cooperatives (Ch. III, Art. 26 of RA 6938)

It might get by under 40$ foreign ownership, from this clause:

Domestic market enterprises with paid-in equity capital of less than the equivalent of US$200,000 (RA 7042 as amended by RA 8179).

==========================

My reading of the situation is that it wouldnt be allowed.

Although one might get away with it, unless it is legal, there would be considerable risk, more so than for any new venture.

Balintawak

I would rather set up a Pizza place. My friend here (Scandinavian) owns a chain of pizzerias and franchising with him is set up so you get the help you need with legal stuff and not that expensive like jbee either. Hes very successful.

Never invest money in the Philippines. If you must own a business, move to a country where you can legally own one. Even the multinational corporations have learned this.

Well, if common law of the Philippines is like most other countries, then one fundamental principle is that NO contract can override the LAW.

You can write whatever you want in a contract with others, but if it's not legal, it's not enforceable. So, when anyone tells me that we can have appropriate contractual agreements that will cover over the issues with foreign ownership laws, my automatic interpretation is that...this ain't gunna fly.

lazydays

Never invest money in the Philippines. If you must own a business, move to a country where you can legally own one. Even the multinational corporations have learned this.

thumbsup.gif Sound advice,only way in Phils is for your wife to own it,but then of course,legally,its not yours,and as we all know,there are no guarrantees in marriage.

lazydays

Some people set themselves up as English teachers in Phils,as far as i am aware you need a licence to teach in Phils,which i presume is then classed as running a business,coz you will be charging for that service.

I haven't looked into this as i'm not interested in teaching,it was just a thought that came to mind.

I would rather set up a Pizza place. My friend here (Scandinavian) owns a chain of pizzerias and franchising with him is set up so you get the help you need with legal stuff and not that expensive like jbee either. Hes very successful.

What's the name of the company? Was thinking of starting one in my project building.

Incidentally, a franchisee of Alberto's dropped by.

My place is painted close to Jollibee, post and beams in True Orange and walls in Yellow Corn.

Really nice guy.

He was!

Still is. Met with him today and had him sign an acknoledgement of debt and he will do some extre work for me for free. The money will flow back, no worries. I can be very persistant.

Hi All,

Any business idea can be shot down by speculation, critisism, heresay and random legal advice.

If every entrepreneur listened to the warnings, we'd still be in the stone age.

Its a bit like playing a game of chess. Nobody complains that you cant move your knight diagonally.

You just learn how to play the knight correctly, and to your advantage.

Its the same as doing business here, the rules are different, you just have to learn how to use them for you, rather than against you.

A little innovative creative thought, entrepreneureal spirit & determination, and your half way there.

Oh yeah I remember one of those open in Dumaguete on the BLVD but closed in about 3 months.The pizza wasnt too impressive but it was very inexpensive.

Bet, I kind of got that feeling when I opened the link. But I did not have the time to read it all. Good dig!

The other franchising opportunities for the big chains like McDo seem to have the same rules. McDo is individual only and Filipino citizen to boot!

I have heard that there is a foreigner who owns a KFC franchise here. BUT, I have to think it's his wife that owns it as the Franchise rights are owned by a Filipino and I don't see them wanting foreigners in their club. I could be wrong but look at all the rest of the franchise rules.

:lol: Imagine that they dont even want foreigners owning foreign franchises :lol: