Jollibee Franchise

Hi all,

We refer to a Mcdonalds franchise in Ireland as "a licence to print money".

It seems to me that Jollibee is the same here.

You put a KFC, Mcdonalds and Jollibee beside each other(as in IT park), and the Jollibee will be the busiest !

However, it requires a lot of start up capital.

Im interested in opening a franchise here, but dont have enough cash myself. I can contribute some, but nowhere near all that would be needed. I estimate that approx 20M peso would be needed.

Is anyone interested in investing collectively in a franchise? Mosts likely there are very few that would have enough capital to open their own, so if anyone is interested in getting together, or knows of someone interested, please let me know.

I have an ideal location in mind already, far from another Jollibee, and in a resort type town, with a very large catchment area(please, no guessing). Land isnt expensive, however, the Jollibee franchise is.

The Jollibee franchises have been through it all already, and know how to avoid employee theft, and the other problems that irritate the average business owner here. They are considered an excellent example of how business should be done here.

Opinions & suggestions are welcome !

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bret

• Bob Ward

• lazydays

• ckfm

Top Posters In This Topic

I am interested, as long as it is in Cebu Island and not in let's say Zamboanga. I have thought of this same tact many times.

However, what about the ownership issue?

If we all invested in a P20M venture that can only be owned collectively up to 40% by all the foreigners, haven't we already lost more than half the investment from day one?

Yep, its on Cebu island.

There are Filipinos with money also(and foreigners with wives, like me). This wouldnt go ahead unless your percentage investment represented your precentage ownership, within reason.

There's no way that it would be given away to anyone just for legal purposes.

Im fairly sure there are many like you and me, who dismissed the idea, as finding the full start up capital was too much. But, if we got together, its quite possible. But of course the profits are spread also.

My wife and I (she is a dual citizen of both the Philippines and the U.S.) just might be interested if the situation was right, and if there were an ironclad legal document that protected each and every investor. My asawa has also been a restaurant manager in both the McDonalds and the Burger King chains. Why don't you PM us with the details, and we will let you know what we would have available to invest under the right conditions. If things look promising and do go smoothly, then we can possibly talk with you when we arrive in Cebu at the end of May.

I might consider something like this - after all, why not make enemies of people you barely know instead of waiting to become friends first? Joke lang .....

PS - I just lost $12000 on CBBO today .... I know that not all investments work out ....

Edited by locktite

I get the feeling that foreign investment in local franchises (e.g. Jollibees owned by foreigners) is frowned upon by the locals.

Is that the case?

I'm very sure there will be significant caveats regarding foreigners involvement. There are also political and social ramifications. Jollibee is a savvy organization and runs a tighter ship than most might imagine. It will be an up hill battle, but it's possible I think. Better get ready to form a corporation with 60% Filipino ownership!

http://www.jollibee.com.ph/index.php?/investors/contents/11/6

3 years ago, our Cooperative applied for a franchise. We were turned down. The reason is that the board is elected every year so the personalities signing the contract may not be there in the future and that any member can withdraw from the cooperative.

Not sure about corporations. All franchisers I know are single proprietors.

3 years ago, our Cooperative applied for a franchise. We were turned down. The reason is that the board is elected every year so the personalities signing the contract may not be there in the future and that any member can withdraw from the cooperative.

Smidsy,

Will Jollibee allow corporations to own a franchise?

How can the corporation be only owned 40% by foreigners, and yet our investment be 100% of our share? :P

lazydays

Personally,i'm not interested in franchising or any other form of conventional business in the Philippines.

Even though i have experience of running 3 business's during my work life in the UK.

My main motivation for living in the Phils is retirement,and i have more than enough hobbies and little ventures to keep me busy.

However,THANKS for the offer.

For those of you interested in franchising,i have a contact who could be useful.

Rudolph Kotik (Austrian) who has lived in Phils since 1987,runs a Franchising Consultancy and in his time has assisted 350 Philippine Co's to develop franchising systems in Phils.He used to live in Cebu,but for business reasons now lives in Manila.

However,he splits his time between Manila and Cebu.

I have no ties with this consultancy,and will not earn a cent for this advice.

If it assists you guys,thats good enough for me.

www.rkfranchise.com

www.franchise.ph

Smidsy,

Will Jollibee allow corporations to own a franchise?

How can the corporation be only owned 40% by foreigners, and yet our investment be 100% of our share? :P

Taken form Jollibee website:

Can a corporation apply for a franchise?

We award franchises to individuals only. Upon approval of the franchise, this individual can organize a corporation where he must have clear majority ownership.

Bet, I kind of got that feeling when I opened the link. But I did not have the time to read it all. Good dig!

The other franchising opportunities for the big chains like McDo seem to have the same rules. McDo is individual only and Filipino citizen to boot!

I have heard that there is a foreigner who owns a KFC franchise here. BUT, I have to think it's his wife that owns it as the Franchise rights are owned by a Filipino and I don't see them wanting foreigners in their club. I could be wrong but look at all the rest of the franchise rules.

Unless you are in high cotton personally and willing to invest the time and commitment to do it yourself (all the requirements I saw read that the applicant must be personally involved on a regular basis), I think this idea is dead!

smokey

I might consider something like this - after all, why not make enemies of people you barely know instead of waiting to become friends first? Joke lang .....

PS - I just lost $12000 on CBBO today .... I know that not all investments work out ....

i started a boat yard with my x wife and her father and we the father and me were equal partners and my wife as acct. had 2 share's ... well the business became a huge tax loss year after year and a great way for my x father in law to hire and (((((over pay))))) all his worthless family ... two sons both druggies who were only interested in customers who paid cash.. another daughter who liked to gamble and his x wife who instead of giving her HIS money he gave her our money.. so everyone was happy except me of course as i never received any profit... Seems i was always out voted 49 to 51... in the end i just left and came to the Philippines and to this day the boat yard is still working and still a loss ... This mistake cost me a little over 150.000 dollars...

You cannot really trust anybody in the Philippines because the legal system works so slow and moral standards in regards to money do not exist. I just had to experience it one more time when I gave 25,000 pesos to a good friend of mine in order to do some land survey, paying lawyer ec. in order to get the title for our house done while we are away. Guess what happened? He "borrowed" the money, no work done and "promises" to pay it back as soon as he has more income. I would have never thought that this could happen with this friend, maybe I will get my money back, maybe not, but lesson (again) learned.

You cannot really trust anybody in the Philippines because the legal system works so slow and moral standards in regards to money do not exist. I just had to experience it one more time when I gave 25,000 pesos to a good friend of mine in order to do some land survey, paying lawyer ec. in order to get the title for our house done while we are away. Guess what happened? He "borrowed" the money, no work done and "promises" to pay it back as soon as he has more income. I would have never thought that this could happen with this friend, maybe I will get my money back, maybe not, but lesson (again) learned.

Filipino or Foreigner? just curious!