Anyone been to Hong Kong recently?

I'm wondering if anyone has flown Cebu / Hong Kong, recently? If so, what sort of deal did you get?

Thanks,

David_LivinginTalisay

Paul,

I treated Sha-Sha to a trip to Hong Kong and Disneyland for her Birthday treat in November 2009 (we canceled this same trip in 2008, as her Mama was in ICU after having a Stroke)

It was affordable due to a fantastic Promo from Cebu Pacific Air

This was Round Trip, for both of us:-

Fare price : PHP 6,396.00

Taxes and Fees : PHP 2,012.00

Total price : PHP 8,408.00

We stayed @ Disney's Hollywood Hotel for 1 Night, that included 2 x 2 "Stay and Play for 2 Days" Park tickets

Disney's Hollywood Hotel Room and Ticket Package for 2 persons at the starting price of HK$1,900*, includes One night accommodation in a Garden View Room 2 "Stay and Play for 2 Days" Park tickets

The Buffet Dinner was extra, but had a 50% off Promo, as did the wine ordered with such Buffet Dinner, and was very generous size serving.

Fantastic Buffet - better than Marco Polo!

Dining Specials

Indulge in savory flavors from around the globe with your friends and families.

HKDLDiningDinnerBuffetListThumb.jpg

Enjoy Disney Chef Mickey's Dinner Buffet for just HK$218 and up

Disney's Hollywood Hotel's very own Chef Mickey recalls the lavish Art Deco-styled studio commissaries of Hollywood's Golden Age. From now on, you can enjoy "Disney Chef Mickey's Buffet in this Disney-themed restaurant for just HK$218 and up!

Offer period: January 11 - March 31, 2010

See Details

Did not actually get the Room and Ticket Package for 2 persons as I had not discovered it soon enough to book at least 14 days in ADVANCE!

However my Brother in Law, Simon Lee, booked a Room @ Hollywood Hotel with the same 2 persons 2 Day Disneyland Pass, and decided to pay Php205 more to get 2 x Buffet Breakfast as well for HK$2105

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

:)

Yes I flew to HK recently.

I did'nt get a deal. I went to Cebu Pacific one day and bought a ticket.

Most of the promos I have seen for Cebu Pacific you have to pay now and fly in a few months. Not all dates are available. Most of the flight deals are only for Flights to HK and not back.

For an interesting experience stay at the Chung Kung Mansions when in HK.

"Stay and Play for two days" - they have to be joking, right? That park has seven rides, if I remember correctly, but close to 50 shops, selling the same old Disney tut, and restaurants that are over-priced. The day I was there, there were very few westerners but coach loads of Chinese workers from over the border who rudely pushed others out of the way so they could be at the head of the queues for the five rides that were operating that day.

The only thing I enjoyed about that whole experience was the (British designed, built and paid-for) modern underground train going back to town.

Mind you, according to my daughter, Disneyland Paris is nothing to write home about either.

Mark

"Stay and Play for two days" - they have to be joking, right? That park has seven rides, if I remember correctly, but close to 50 shops, selling the same old Disney tut, and restaurants that are over-priced. The day I was there, there were very few westerners but coach loads of Chinese workers from over the border who rudely pushed others out of the way so they could be at the head of the queues for the five rides that were operating that day.

The only thing I enjoyed about that whole experience was the (British designed, built and paid-for) modern underground train going back to town.

Mind you, according to my daughter, Disneyland Paris is nothing to write home about either.

Mark

I agree. Hong Kong Disneyland is very small and we saw everything we wanted to see in less than a day. Nonetheless, my gf really enjoyed herself as did I, mostly from watching her have fun like a small kid.

Thanks for the input, fellows. But, the one thing I am most concerned about here, is the cost of the tickets to fly over to Hong Kong. I am trying to find a decent deal for sometime later this year, perhaps after October?

Thanks for the input, fellows. But, the one thing I am most concerned about here, is the cost of the tickets to fly over to Hong Kong. I am trying to find a decent deal for sometime later this year, perhaps after October?

Sign up for the Cebu Pacific News letter, they do the promos about 3 months in advance. Have an open window of days you want to fly. It is possible they only have 1 promo flight for that 1 day... so if you are traveling with someone, they may have to fly a different day to get a promo or buy a regular priced flight.

The thing that sucks about Cebu Pacific ( other than being on Filipino time ), if they let you carry the least about of luggage in weight. So if you are going on a big shopping spree, it will cost you more in overage on Cebu Pacific than just getting a good flight deal on Philippines Airlines.

Sign up for the Cebu Pacific News letter, they do the promos about 3 months in advance. Have an open window of days you want to fly. It is possible they only have 1 promo flight for that 1 day... so if you are traveling with someone, they may have to fly a different day to get a promo or buy a regular priced flight.

The thing that sucks about Cebu Pacific ( other than being on Filipino time ), if they let you carry the least about of luggage in weight. So if you are going on a big shopping spree, it will cost you more in overage on Cebu Pacific than just getting a good flight deal on Philippines Airlines.

I changed to Cebu Pacific as tix prices w/o any promo were about half of CX and i liked their flight times better... (ie leaving in the evening both here and from HKG.) just watch for specials. All my Cebu pacific flights have been right on schedule. bring along reading material and you own sandwich though.

:unsure:

For an interesting experience stay at the Chung Kung Mansions when in HK.

Chung King Mansions is a dump, but a well located dump on Nathan Road in the tourist belt. It is a number of fire-trap apartments run as individual "guest houses". No way would i ever consider staying in that joint. There are many nighmare stories in travel blogs about this place. If you can't afford a better place that this, give Hongkers a miss. There are lots of other safe clean guest houses in high rise buildings nearby often run by a flipina as the chinese people struggle with english. In general accommodation in HK is not cheap. If you happen to be there on a wednesday night treat yourself to a night at the Happy Valley horse races. In my view it is one of the best nights out in Asia.

David_LivinginTalisay

"Stay and Play for two days" - they have to be joking, right?

Mark

Since we have not been to any other DisneyLand or DisneyWorld to compare it with, we used 'Ocean Park' for comparison.

If all you want is fairground type rides, then DisneyLand Hong Kong is not so good.

Since Sha-Sha does not like such 'roller coaster' and 'white nuckle' rides, we were not after lots of such rides.

Having said that, Space Mountain was the first thing she went on (but she thought it was to be Stitch Encounter , next door) not a roller -coaster ride in the dark!

SpaceMountainAttListThumb.jpg

She enjoyed shooting the Lazer guns in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters and driving the car in Autopia.[/url] I thought Orbitron was pretty 'tame' and boring, but Sha-Sha seemed to like making the flying Saucer go up and down!

Sha-Sha enjoyed the 'boat ride' in "it's a small world" which features animatronic dolls in national costumes singing the title song in numerous languages.

Hong Kong Disneyland Railroad gives a nice tour around the Park.

We then went to Hollywood Hotel to Check-in, have a shower, a nap before gong back to the park to watch the Firework display. which lasted for 30 minutes.

200px-Hong_Kong_Disneyland_by_Denn.jpg

We thouroughly enjoyed Festival of the Lion King at Theater in the Wild. The Lion King, is a Broadway-caliber short-form stage musical performed live. Very professional and well done - well worth seeing in our opinion

250px-LionKingDisneyWorld.JPG

I liked Adventureland at night with the burning torches to light the way.

The Jungle River Cruise attraction simulates a riverboat cruise down several major rivers of Asia, Africa and South America. Park guests board replica tramp steamers and are taken on a voyage past many different animatronic jungle animals.

Taking this river cruise at night is a rather different experience from the day time, as ou cant see what is coming up and the volcanic effects are more spectacular!

Same goes for taking a Raft to Tarzan's Island in the dark, and exploring Tarzan's Treehouse.

We then went back to the Hollywood Hotel for superb Buffet Dinner - one of the best ever tasted.

My diet went out the window as we had a great Buffet Breakfast the next morning. we checked out of the Hotel and left our bags there before going back to Disneyland for Day 2 on the Pass (fingerprint access control - so can't hand to someone else).

Basically we then saw more of what DisneyLand Hong Kong had to offer like The Golden Mickeys

This is another well presented musical revue-style production, but on conventional 'stage'. The show presented in the style of an awards ceremony with characters from Disney films being nominated for awards including heroism, comedy, villains, friendship, and romance. There were a lot of Scene changes in this production and we thought it was great.

Experiencing the River Cruise and re-visiting Tarzen's Tree House on the island, is a different experience in the daylight altogether. You get to see more detail of how much detail goes into making it appear 'real'.

200px-Jungle_Cruise_Entrance_Sunset.JPG

200px-Tarzan%27s_Treehouse_Entrance_Sign.JPG

Sha-Sha had never experienced 3D cinema before with the modern full color 3D, using glasses with horizontal and vertical polarised lenses.

200px-HK_Disneyland_Mickeys_Philhar_Magic_by_Dave_Q.jpg Sha-sha was reaching out for the large 'ruby' that appeared to be just in front of her.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is a dark ride based upon the film The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh,

300px-HK_Disneyland_parade_by_Dave_Q.jpg Disney on Parade is a daytime parade of the Hong Kong Disneyland theme park.

200px-Sleeping_Beauty_Castle_DLR.jpg

Disneyland Park's Sleeping Beauty Castle

where you are able to walk through the castle and view several dioramas depicting the story of Sleeping Beauty.

Sha-sha liked having her photo taken with some Disney characters in Fantasy Gardens

We enjoyed Hong Kongs DisneyLand - as it offered these Musical Shows, 3D Cinema and more.

Go visit Ocean Park, if you want more 'roller coaster' and 'white nuckle' rides, as well as the Marine Land shows.

David & Sha-Sha

Sounds like there are plans to add more @ DisneyLand:-

The park consists of four themed lands similar to other Disneyland parks: Main Street, U.S.A., Fantasyland, Adventureland and Tomorrowland. There is as yet no Frontierland, although it may be included in future expansion projects.

The park's small size is often cited to explain its under-performance.Currently 22.4 hectares (55 acres) in size, it will be expanded to 27.4 hectares (68 acres)[5] when three new themed areas are completed.

The announced areas, namely Grizzly Trail, Mystic Point and Toy Story Land, are all located outside the Disneyland Railroad track, south to the current Adventureland. After the opening of the three new lands, the park is expected to handle 7.92 million to 8.92 million visitors in 2014. Eventually, the park capacity will increase to handle up to 10 million visitors annually over a 15 year expansion period.[6]

Chung King Mansions is a dump, but a well located dump on Nathan Road in the tourist belt. It is a number of fire-trap apartments run as individual "guest houses". No way would i ever consider staying in that joint. There are many nighmare stories in travel blogs about this place. If you can't afford a better place that this, give Hongkers a miss. There are lots of other safe clean guest houses in high rise buildings nearby often run by a flipina as the chinese people struggle with english. In general accommodation in HK is not cheap. If you happen to be there on a wednesday night treat yourself to a night at the Happy Valley horse races. In my view it is one of the best nights out in Asia.

I said "It is an INTERESTING EXPERIENCE" ! ! !

I know what it is, and I have stayed there before. There are a few very clean and safe places with high speed internet in there if you know EXACTLY where to go.

For sure Hong Kong is expensive but it is a gateway to the rest of China. The Cebu Pacific flights get into HK very late. By the time you go though customs and get your bags it is around 1:00 a.m. All the trains and buses to Shenzhen and mainland China don't operate that late. So you really don't have any other choices but to stay a night in HK.

The Chung King mansions are right near the train station that connects mainland China so it makes sense to stay there.

Do you believe EVERY thing you read on travel blogs ? ? ? If you never stayed at the Chung Kung Mansions yourself they you really can't give an opinion.

Here is a link for those who don't know what we are talking about: Chungking Mansions

There are an estimated 4,000 people living in the Mansions.

Anthropologist Prof. Gordon Mathews estimates that people from at least 120 different nationalities have passed through Chungking Mansions in the past year.

Chungking Mansions contains the largest number of guesthouses in Hong Kong in one building, with 1980 rooms in total.

Paul...let me find a big enough box and I'll TNT Express you to Hong Kong. My company gets a great discount! thumbsup.gif

'BigRob looks in the back to see if he can find the box his refrigerator came in.'

Edited by BigRob

we find cebu pacific good price - for cebu/Hk......... although, an international flight - they have a no frill approach and bang on schedule which suit us fine for a short trip.........

musicman666

I said "It is an INTERESTING EXPERIENCE" ! ! !

I know what it is, and I have stayed there before. There are a few very clean and safe places with high speed internet in there if you know EXACTLY where to go.

For sure Hong Kong is expensive but it is a gateway to the rest of China. The Cebu Pacific flights get into HK very late. By the time you go though customs and get your bags it is around 1:00 a.m. All the trains and buses to Shenzhen and mainland China don't operate that late. So you really don't have any other choices but to stay a night in HK.

The Chung King mansions are right near the train station that connects mainland China so it makes sense to stay there.

Do you believe EVERY thing you read on travel blogs ? ? ? If you never stayed at the Chung Kung Mansions yourself they you really can't give an opinion.

Here is a link for those who don't know what we are talking about: Chungking Mansions

There are an estimated 4,000 people living in the Mansions.

Anthropologist Prof. Gordon Mathews estimates that people from at least 120 different nationalities have passed through Chungking Mansions in the past year.

Chungking Mansions contains the largest number of guesthouses in Hong Kong in one building, with 1980 rooms in total.

chungking is a slice of hong kong history..everyone who has a chance should hole up there for a few nights..its relatively cheap and right in the heart of the shopping district..just dont leave valuables loose in the room when you go out.