Sign in to follow this  
jim44

Boat Building Material

jim44

Hello all! Happy new year. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if were to get foam core building material like Divinycell 20mm, carbon fiber like kevlar and knitted fabrics like biaxial and unidirectional fabrics? I would also like to know if epoxy resigns are readily available. I would also like to know what hourly wage for a skilled carpenter and electrician as well as unskilled labour would be. I'm planning on doing a power catamaran buildin the near future. I don't need a boat yard. I will be doing all the supervising myself. just need some guidance on how to locate material so I can get an idea of cost of material. thanks.

Alan S

A UK builder of high performance sports boats has been looking at moving some production to RP and apparently all raw materials are readily available there.

Sorry, but dont know exactly where though.

jim44

ty. can you tell me what rp is?

KID
ty. can you tell me what rp is?

:rolleyes: republic of the philippines !!!

Ilovecebu

I know there are 2 boat builders here and both are Australian. One is in mandaue and the other in Mactan.

I'm sure they know where to buy what you need

shadow
Hello all! Happy new year. I'm just wondering if anyone knows if were to get foam core building material like Divinycell 20mm, carbon fiber like kevlar and knitted fabrics like biaxial and unidirectional fabrics? I would also like to know if epoxy resigns are readily available. I would also like to know what hourly wage for a skilled carpenter and electrician as well as unskilled labour would be. I'm planning on doing a power catamaran buildin the near future. I don't need a boat yard. I will be doing all the supervising myself. just need some guidance on how to locate material so I can get an idea of cost of material. thanks.

Near the new Mactan bridge in Mandaue is an Olympic store, they have a wide variety of resin and materials.

Larry in Dumaguete

ding

I believe that some of that material is not available here. Resins and unidirectional fiberglass are available. large amounts of kevlar might be a problem. Divinicell, especially if you have a specific thickness in mind, might be difficult also. Biaxial cloth, i haven't looked myself but have heard is not available in the philippines. A lot of boat builders import their supplies. Don't get discouraged though because it can be done here. here are a few other examples of people who have done what you're planning to do.

http://www.boatshop.com.ph/

http://www.pinoyboatservices.com/

http://www.andy-smith-boatworks.com/

BTW, workers are usually paid by the day and not hourly.