Sign in to follow this  
kanoboy

Protection..

Cary

Kanoboy;

Follow this simple rule; 'While in Rome do as the Romans do'. If you use some common sense and learn your surroundings, you should be ok. The Philippines is not the far side of the moon. Its another country in which you will be very surprised to learn its people are very similar to you and people you know.

kanoboy

The mind boggles,i cannot believe this post is for real shocked.gifnot_see.gif

No further comment.

People are different & come from different backgrounds.. Accept it.

I don't know where you're from but it must be fieryland. I'm glad you've decided not to further comment.

kanoboy

Kanoboy;

Follow this simple rule; 'While in Rome do as the Romans do'. If you use some common sense and learn your surroundings, you should be ok. The Philippines is not the far side of the moon. Its another country in which you will be very surprised to learn its people are very similar to you and people you know.

I agree with that statement & I share a similar mentality.

But like I've said before, you're not always in control of every situation & can predict what's going to happen..

Any person that has complete trust in other people & their ability to "adapt" is a fool. You don't know when somebody might be having a bad day & be able to read their mind.. they could be holding a particular grudge against a foreigner & be looking for the 1st one they come across. Add booze, drugs & weapons to the picture, or some of their homeboys & it can get ugly. I can name at least 200 other possible scenario's..

I just like to be prepared just in case.. nothing more, nothing less. If anybody has a problem with that then best of luck to you.. do what works for you.

Edited by kanoboy

thebob

The only weapon you need in Cebu is right between your ears!

Protection is a state of mind.

Cary

Kano;

If I am repeating something someone has already stated, I am sorry:

The scenario you just painted happens all over the world every day sadly. But if you take the time to listen to the advice the guys who have been in the Philippines for awhile and apply it, you will see there is no need to keep defending yourself. You say that you will be in a condo, that means that you will be in an environment that is basically safe and you will be surrounded by similar people like yourself. If you were to talk to your new neighbors their advice would be the same as you are getting now.

Just come to the Philippines, give it a chance and enjoy yourself.

kanoboy

Kano;

The scenario you just painted happens all over the world every day sadly. But if you take the time to listen to the advice the guys who have been in the Philippines for awhile and apply it, you will see there is no need to keep defending yourself. You say that you will be in a condo, that means that you will be in an environment that is basically safe and you will be surrounded by similar people like yourself. If you were to talk to your new neighbors their advice would be the same as you are getting now.

Once again I agree with you & I plan to do those things. Only difference is I'll have a pocket knife on me & a can of pepper spray. Hopefully I'll never need to use it unless it's to cut a rope, etc.. You never know when you may need a knife, it can be a handy tool :kidding: Same goes for the pepper spray.. there's dogs, etc.

In my opinion you can never be too careful.. We live in a world full of crazy, unpredictable people. & I live in the same manner no matter where in the world I am, not just the Philippines. But I'm just going to follow my instincts & do what experience has taught me. I plan to go there with a positive attitude & hope for the best. Thanks for everyone's advice, was definitely more than I expected :yourock:

Willie

Kano;

Once again I agree with you & I plan to do those things. Only difference is I'll have a pocket knife on me & a can of pepper spray. Hopefully I'll never need to use it unless it's to cut a rope, etc.. You never know when you may need a knife, it can be a handy tool :kidding: Same goes for the pepper spray.. there's dogs, etc.

In my opinion you can never be too careful.. We live in a world full of crazy, unpredictable people. & I live in the same manner no matter where in the world I am, not just the Philippines. But I'm just going to follow my instincts & do what experience has taught me. I plan to go there with a positive attitude & hope for the best. Thanks for everyone's advice, was definitely more than I expected :yourock:

Dude, relax and smell the coffee. Don't drink any though. Sounds like you've already had way too much.

RogerDuMond

In my opinion you can never be too careful.. We live in a world full of crazy, unpredictable people. & I live in the same manner no matter where in the world I am, not just the Philippines. But I'm just going to follow my instincts & do what experience has taught me. I plan to go there with a positive attitude & hope for the best. Thanks for everyone's advice, was definitely more than I expected biggrin.gif

In your original post you mentioned GF/fiancée, she would be your best weapon. She can keep you out of places and situations where you might find trouble. Your next best weapon is your own attitude. You treat Filipinos with respect and as equals, you will not have troubles.

Carrying any weapon would be a mistake. The big problem comes if you use it. Don't look for the authorities to accept a statement of self defense from you. You are the alien and will probably be looked at as the aggressor. My advice is don't do it.

Edited by RogerDuMond

Cary

Good advice Roger.

In my opinion you can never be too careful.. We live in a world full of crazy, unpredictable people. & I live in the same manner no matter where in the world I am, not just the Philippines. But I'm just going to follow my instincts & do what experience has taught me. I plan to go there with a positive attitude & hope for the best. Thanks for everyone's advice, was definitely more than I expected biggrin.gif

In your original post you mentioned GF/fianc

Jay
P3014182.jpg

Mailman

I carry a small Swiss Army knife. The blade is all but 1 inch long. Guards laugh at me when I declare a weapon.

Witchking

I carry a small Swiss Army knife. The blade is all but 1 inch long. Guards laugh at me when I declare a weapon.

I know this is off topic but I think that this has been beat into the ground. Kano I have lived and traveled many places in the PI on my little motorcycle and alone without the aid of any weapons except my wits and an open mind. I think that carrying a weapon or god forbid having to use a weapon in the Philippines would be a grave error. I am by no means a pacifist and do whole heartedly believe in defending yourself if need be but if you listen to everyone

12stepsaway
Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a small pocket knife (3in blade)?

I would imagine so. People walk around with bolo knives all the time. They are "slightly" larger than 3 inches. :D

Thanks. I like having a knife on me. It is amazing how much you end up using it. Opening boxes, cutting fruit, etc. Mine also has a beer bottle opener built in which, uh, comes in handy quite often. For me I don't really consider my little knife a weapon to defend myself as much as just a useful tool...

If I got held-up, I would leave my knife in my pocket and instantly give them what they want. Nothing is worth your life!

Except maybe my Playstation. Wait, what? :drink:

loosehead

Kanoboy I agree with the advice that you don't need weapons. You say you are a big guy with tatts and very laid back. You sound like a lot of my mates who have spent many years in the Phils with no problems. You will find that a lot of the kanos who visit the Phils are not exactly the shy retiring type. Many have knocked about in some rough areas and are very street wise. What I mean is they are just like you. If you are going to carry pepper spray, keep it as a last resort as most situations i have found myself in the Phils are a misunderstanding with a drunk pinoy which can easily be settled with a handshake amd neither party losing face or resorting to weapons.

newtocebu

I win all my fights...

By at least 100 metres...