Protection..

I say get an armed body guard.

Of course your screwed if he then decides to rob you, or arranges your robbery(that happens too).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• broden

• HHammer

• Jess Bartone

• kanoboy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" I'll be taking my laptop, playstation3, etc. I'd definitely be willing to lay my life down for those things"

ROFL. Classic. One of the best quotes ever.

Troll.

I don't wana give the wrong impression here.. I'm not by any means a violent person or looking for trouble, I try to avoid any drama or conflicts when I can. I'm actually a very laid back & chill guy..

but at the same time I'm very cautious & have a lot of street smarts. I simply like to be prepared for any situation, "just in case".

I'm not capable of going anywhere unarmed.. I feel too naked & defenseless & I've already had a couple of bad experiences, so I promised myself it wouldn't happen again. All the stories I read don't help either :evan_iliadis:

I'll always have more respect for my life than I will the law, but I don't want to break any there if I can help it, which is why I'm asking here, since I'm not really sure with what I can get away with. I don't see anything wrong with carrying a pocket knife at least, is there? I might be able to live with that..

I'm also a little worried that I may not be able to blend in as well as other foreigners.. I can't even do that in the US, so I'm pretty sure everybody will be well aware of my presence wherever I choose to live at, etc. & since I'll be there for almost a year, that'll give anybody the opportunity for some ideas, etc.

I don't plan to flash a lot of jewelry or money around, but I still like to look good & dress nice occasionally.. will that be an issue? Or do I need to look like I shop at the same place as everyone else & have the same style

I was wondering if I might be able to get away with wearing a gold chain tho, since I only plan to commute by taxi with my girl. Or am I better off leaving that at home?

I don't think I would be a high priority target since I don't look that soft or easy, & I've got about 15 tatts, but I know there's still people that I wouldn't be that threatening to, especially if they gota gun.

& I only wanted to know about the home defense because I feel like I might have enough valuables to motivate a robbery since I'll be taking my laptop, playstation3, etc. I'd definitely be willing to lay my life down for those things, but I think I'm gona leave the gun alone.. I know it'll be too much of a burden for my short stay there. So maybe a machete?

I am a lot like you. I legally carried a concealed gun for years here in the States. Being a law abiding citizen, I kept up with the gun laws and read about shootings involving citizens. There are so many legal shootings that occurred where the victim (shooter) had charges filed against him/her that I started rethinking about carrying a gun. I found out about pepper spray and learned the proper way to use it and the most effective sprays to use. Now I carry pepper spray. Although I am still licensed to carry concealed, the only time I carry a gun is when I am out hunting, fishing, hiking, mountain biking, or camping. Even then, I usually have pepper spray with me.

Be prepared. Anybody big or small threatening you in any way can change your life at any time. If you're prepared for confrontation you still have the choice of complying with the assailant, but you also have the edge if you decide it's better to fight back.

Pepper spray:

Get a good oil based spray. Most law enforcement sprays are water based because they are sometimes used in conjunction with a Taser. I don't know the exact details, but it's something like the oil will conduct the electricity from the Taser and can burn or electrocute the assailant. The water based sprays aren't as strong. I recommend the LE 10 if you can find it.

1) Spray toward the eyes for 1 to 2 seconds. This will temporarily force the assailant to close his/her eyes.

2) Immediately quietly move to the side from where you were standing. The assailant may shoot, attack or charge to the last place he saw you.

3) At this point you have the option of escaping or attacking your assailant.

I have used pepper spray over a dozen times and it has never failed to give me at least a five second opening when I was able to hit the face.

You made the mistake of using "paranoid" in your question and everyone is lashing you on that. Most, if not all of the responders are very peace loving and have never had any training in self defense. If you notice, non of the ex-marines or ex-law enforcement are commenting (unless it's to make fun of you being "paranoid".) One of my first posts on here was asking if pepper spray was legal to buy and carry. They tore me apart. The reason I was asking was because I was thinking of importing it and giving lessons on how to use it. Here is my post ... My link

Rex

OK Mr. Suave and Deboner. First thing you need to learn is that there is no such thing as an Ex-Marine. OK got that out of the way!

Next, can you please tell me why you would have been in a position to use pepper spray more than twelve times in your life?

I've been allot of places and done allot of crazy shit and I can think of three times when I might have needed it. 2 of the three I came out fine due to thinking and agility! The other was a shitty situation, but I would have never had spray with me during that evening anyway!

Edited by Bob Ward
Does anyone know if it is legal to carry a small pocket knife (3in blade)?

I would imagine so. People walk around with bolo knives all the time. They are "slightly" larger than 3 inches. :evan_iliadis:

Bolo_in_use.jpg

Edited by Admin
RogerDuMond

I would imagine so. People walk around with bolo knives all the time. They are "slightly" larger than 3 inches. biggrin.gif

The question I have about any knife is, wouldn't you be stopped trying to enter any establishment where they use the handheld metal scanners?

Guys, it is natural for people coming to a country like the Philippines to think of all sorts of defense items or tactics. The bottom line is that you could find yourself in the same situation in Tampa, Atlanta, St. Louis, Chi Town, NYC, Detroit, London, Dublin, BKK, Sydney or wherever. Just use common sense here, don't run your mouth needlessly, keep your senses about you and be able to run if you have to!

lazydays

I would imagine so. People walk around with bolo knives all the time. They are "slightly" larger than 3 inches. biggrin.gif

The question I have about any knife is, wouldn't you be stopped trying to enter any establishment where they use the handheld metal scanners?

I would think so,you certainly wouldn't get in the BOI office.

"snip, snip, snip"

"OK Mr. Suave and Deboner. First thing you need to learn is that there is no such thing as an Ex-Marine."

I should have known that. Apologies to all the Marines. No disrespect intended.

Next, can you please tell me why you would have been in a position to use pepper spray more than twelve times in your life?

It's more like 12 times in the past 5 years. Considering I work in law enforcement, that's really not too bad. Less than three times a year. I have never had to use it off duty. I hope I never have to.

Finally I got some answers/advice I was lookin for & I appreciate that.

I like the pepper spray/dog idea, but I'm gona be living in a rather small condo for less than a year.. & there's always the possibility of me moving somewhere else, so idk if it's the best idea to keep a dog. & I don't think I'd dare reach for some pepper spray in my pocket to somebody wielding a gun.. I wouldn't be that confrontational unless maybe it was somebody with a knife, etc. or I see a clear opening. But I'll probably keep some pepper spray handy just in case. Never know when I might need it for a dog, drunk, etc.

I think my knife would be more accessible since I keep it clipped on the outside of my pocket, & I've already had practice with whipping it out fast, etc. So if the person(s) don't know what they're doing or I see an opportunity to knock the gun out of the way, or they turn their back on me.....

& for home defense I think what I'll do is just invest in a good machete to keep around, that way I might at least have a chance of hiding beside a door/corner ready to chop some arms/heads off.

Question: are there any good locking devises that I can put on the outside of my door knob, for additional security? I don't even trust the condo keepers & I don't want anybody breaking in while I'm away or knowing what I got in there.

Sounds like your to stressed on safety kanoboy, and when you carry weapons you will even be more stressed. If I were you I would pick up some martial art class, if you can afford it hire a good teacher for learning some good basic skills.

Its not so expensive here and you could have a crash course 3-4 hours every day for a few weeks. I think that would make you feel a lot more safe. Its all about attitude and the energy you send out.

Even if you have weapons and get hold up, be sure they have backup your not aware of. In the end, its mostly about your attitude/energy and their decision not to rob or mess with you.

Escrima, Arniz, Kali are very respectable martial arts. I don't know of any traditional system or weapon that can consistently defend against those sticks. If I ever had to stand against you (or any Escrimist or Anizian, (yes, I made up those words!)) the only defense I can think of would be pepper spray. It is cheating. It's like throwing dirt or salt into your eyes. Besides that, it will burn your skin, cause your sinuses to freak out, and drain the air out of your lungs. All of this is temporary, you'll be fine the next day.

Balintawak, I hope when I move to the Visayas this coming June, I am near you. I would love for you to teach me the basics of your art!

Rex

since I don't carry sticks around I've thought about training in Muay Thai at one of their camps for a few months.. it's my favorite style & still my backup plan in case things don't workout in the Philippines :biggrin_01:

I would imagine so. People walk around with bolo knives all the time. They are "slightly" larger than 3 inches. :drink:

post-1-12640059762_thumb.jpg

Yea but that's not acceptable in Manila, right? :evan_iliadis:

" I'll be taking my laptop, playstation3, etc. I'd definitely be willing to lay my life down for those things"

ROFL. Classic. One of the best quotes ever.

Troll.

You better believe it, pow. I've invested too many hours into that playstation, & I just made lvl70 in callofduty2.

But it wouldn't matter if somebody was trying to steal my chicken wing, I'm not exactly a push-over..

"snip, snip, snip"

"OK Mr. Suave and Deboner. First thing you need to learn is that there is no such thing as an Ex-Marine."

I should have known that. Apologies to all the Marines. No disrespect intended.

It's more like 12 times in the past 5 years. Considering I work in law enforcement, that's really not too bad. Less than three times a year. I have never had to use it off duty. I hope I never have to.

Well now that is a different story!!! But in your post you mentioned that you were not sure of the details why law enforcement used water based spray. Shouldn't you know that hands down?

I think for those who feel they need some type defensive device, pepper spray is a good alternative to knives, brass knuckles etc...

But anyone who carries anything here should remember that the serious hold uppers rarely work alone. So you may get one or two but the the third and fourth are going to probably get you! Then they will be pissed off and use whatever you have on you +++!

Edited by Bob Ward
lazydays

The mind boggles,i cannot believe this post is for real shocked.gifnot_see.gif

No further comment.

I would imagine so. People walk around with bolo knives all the time. They are "slightly" larger than 3 inches. :kidding:

post-1-12640059762_thumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure it is illegal to carry any sort of bladed weapon. A bolo in an agricultural setting would likely be considered a tool, not a weapon. Like the OP said, try carrying one in urban Manila (or Cebu City) and it would be a different story.