Sign in to follow this  
kanoboy

Protection..

kanoboy

I'm 1 of the more paranoid travelers.. & I don't even go grocery shopping in the US unarmed, so I wouldn't make an exception in the Philippines..

So I'd just like to know what I can get away with there in terms of protection with minimum to no consequence..

I typically carry around a pocket knife on my pants & a pair of brass knuckles for less lethal force, in case somebody much bigger than me wants to act like a bully, or a couple of punks try to jump me. Now, I know the brass knuckles are illegal in the US & are considered a "deadly weapon", but are they more lenient with that kina thing in the Philippines? What exactly can I expect to happen if I'm caught with a knife/brass knuckles? I know a fold-up knife is OK, right?

I was once searched at a roadblock in Bangkok where the police confiscated a switchblade & brass knuckles, but they simply asked me what I was doing with them & I told them I collect them & bought them at the market. So they then gave me the option of either letting them keep it, or going down to the station to pay a fine.. So of course I agreed to let them keep it. They were very polite as well. Are they this 'laxed about it in the Philippines, Manila in particular? & should I expect to get searched frequently?

I'd like to know what the deal is for obtaining a firearm for home defense as well since I'm a little confused..

I keep reading that you can have your wife buy one for you, but why must she be your wife? Must a woman be married in order to purchase a firearm? Why can't I just give my gf/fiancee who I'll be living with some money to go buy a shotgun.. will that not work?

Thanks in advance for any info/advice.. I'll be leaving ina couple weeks so I'd like to know what I'm doing :evan_iliadis:

Paul

You are definitely too paranoid. Not to mention, foreigners cannot own firearms here. So, it's best that you don't carry anything, especially a weapon. If you happen to be one who would pull a knife and hurt someone, that is even a better reason not to.

I have never carried a weapon in the Philippines, and I first began coming here in the very early 1990's.

Alan S

Dont even think about getting a gun in the Philippines.

Yes, I am sure you could find and buy one, and I am equally as sure that it could earn you a long stay in an uncomfortable prison.

In fact, with some basic common sense and situational awareness, you wont need one.

Just dont be stupid and flash money or jewellery around, and you will be fine.

smokey

Dude if your that stressed hire a personal body guard / driver then you dont have to deal with traffic or bullshit. ITs always better if someone shoots let it be a local and not a foreigner. If i think about it i have never been hassled just buy your own car ... no jeepney , no trike ,, no chance of getting robbed

Edited by robert51

Ginamos

Are you serous Kanoboy?

So you typically walk around with a gun, switchblade and brass knuckles. If you're that that worried just order everything on the net, phone for delivery service or move to somewhere like North Dakota.

Really, do not consider keeping a weapon in the Philippines, you'll just make yourself the target of a shakedown. Better to know "important" people it's all about connections.

ashlogcreek

There's a difference between protecting yourself, and LOOKING for trouble.

kanoboy

I don't wana give the wrong impression here.. I'm not by any means a violent person or looking for trouble, I try to avoid any drama or conflicts when I can. I'm actually a very laid back & chill guy..

but at the same time I'm very cautious & have a lot of street smarts. I simply like to be prepared for any situation, "just in case".

I'm not capable of going anywhere unarmed.. I feel too naked & defenseless & I've already had a couple of bad experiences, so I promised myself it wouldn't happen again. All the stories I read don't help either :biggrin_01:

I'll always have more respect for my life than I will the law, but I don't want to break any there if I can help it, which is why I'm asking here, since I'm not really sure with what I can get away with. I don't see anything wrong with carrying a pocket knife at least, is there? I might be able to live with that..

I'm also a little worried that I may not be able to blend in as well as other foreigners.. I can't even do that in the US, so I'm pretty sure everybody will be well aware of my presence wherever I choose to live at, etc. & since I'll be there for almost a year, that'll give anybody the opportunity for some ideas, etc.

I don't plan to flash a lot of jewelry or money around, but I still like to look good & dress nice occasionally.. will that be an issue? Or do I need to look like I shop at the same place as everyone else & have the same style

I was wondering if I might be able to get away with wearing a gold chain tho, since I only plan to commute by taxi with my girl. Or am I better off leaving that at home?

I don't think I would be a high priority target since I don't look that soft or easy, & I've got about 15 tatts, but I know there's still people that I wouldn't be that threatening to, especially if they gota gun.

& I only wanted to know about the home defense because I feel like I might have enough valuables to motivate a robbery since I'll be taking my laptop, playstation3, etc. I'd definitely be willing to lay my life down for those things, but I think I'm gona leave the gun alone.. I know it'll be too much of a burden for my short stay there. So maybe a machete?

harley

I don't wana give the wrong impression here.. I'm not by any means a violent person or looking for trouble, I try to avoid any drama or conflicts when I can. I'm actually a very laid back & chill guy..

but at the same time I'm very cautious & have a lot of street smarts. I simply like to be prepared for any situation, "just in case".

I'm not capable of going anywhere unarmed.. I feel too naked & defenseless & I've already had a couple of bad experiences, so I promised myself it wouldn't happen again. All the stories I read don't help either :lol:

I'll always have more respect for my life than I will the law, but I don't want to break any there if I can help it, which is why I'm asking here, since I'm not really sure with what I can get away with. I don't see anything wrong with carrying a pocket knife at least, is there? I might be able to live with that..

I'm also a little worried that I may not be able to blend in as well as other foreigners.. I can't even do that in the US, so I'm pretty sure everybody will be well aware of my presence wherever I choose to live at, etc. & since I'll be there for almost a year, that'll give anybody the opportunity for some ideas, etc.

I don't plan to flash a lot of jewelry or money around, but I still like to look good & dress nice occasionally.. will that be an issue? Or do I need to look like I shop at the same place as everyone else & have the same style

I was wondering if I might be able to get away with wearing a gold chain tho, since I only plan to commute by taxi with my girl. Or am I better off leaving that at home?

I don't think I would be a high priority target since I don't look that soft or easy, & I've got about 15 tatts, but I know there's still people that I wouldn't be that threatening to, especially if they gota gun.

& I only wanted to know about the home defense because I feel like I might have enough valuables to motivate a robbery since I'll be taking my laptop, playstation3, etc. I'd definitely be willing to lay my life down for those things, but I think I'm gona leave the gun alone.. I know it'll be too much of a burden for my short stay there. So maybe a machete?

I'm afraid you have to much of "street smarts" to be happy in the Philippines. :biggrin_01:

fanboat

Leave the gun at home...on the streets,I met a retired cop that conceals his knife and pop up baton stick inside of his cowboy boots and long pants...4 guys came at him(they had no gun)so he was able to chalange them and he scared them off...this other guy got in a fight but was soon out numbered by 15 pinoys...so its not a good idea to piss someone off.

the gunny

if you that much need for protection, i think you should just stay home.

i have been to the phils a few times and never had any troubles.

Lee From Cebu

I had the same concerns before I arrived ...Ive been here two months now and still feel pretty safe ...keep your eyes open and be polite...dont drink alone at night in a local bar if theres any drunks there...If you have street smarts and watch your manners should be no problems ...pulling a knife at a gun fight is always a bad idea..the people here for the most part are very very friendly and you will be safe ...Its more about your attitude in dealing with them...

Balintawak

Sounds like your to stressed on safety kanoboy, and when you carry weapons you will even be more stressed. If I were you I would pick up some martial art class, if you can afford it hire a good teacher for learning some good basic skills.

Its not so expensive here and you could have a crash course 3-4 hours every day for a few weeks. I think that would make you feel a lot more safe. Its all about attitude and the energy you send out.

Even if you have weapons and get hold up, be sure they have backup your not aware of. In the end, its mostly about your attitude/energy and their decision not to rob or mess with you.

lazydays

Wow are you for real,or is this as i suspect,a wind up.

If you are for real,just stay home and forget about the Philippines.

kanoboy

Sounds like your to stressed on safety kanoboy, and when you carry weapons you will even be more stressed. If I were you I would pick up some martial art class, if you can afford it hire a good teacher for learning some good basic skills.

Its not so expensive here and you could have a crash course 3-4 hours every day for a few weeks. I think that would make you feel a lot more safe. Its all about attitude and the energy you send out.

Even if you have weapons and get hold up, be sure they have backup your not aware of. In the end, its mostly about your attitude/energy and their decision not to rob or mess with you.

I agree with what you're saying & I have the same attitude. I've got plenty of confidence & can already hold my own. I know how to present myself & be respectful as well.

But it doesn't matter how smart or awesome you think you are.. that's like saying you don't need to wear a seat belt because you're the best driver in the world..

You're not always in control of every situation, & it's better to be safe than sorry.

I laugh at all these people that tell me I should stay home.. I'm not scared in the least, & it won't be my first time traveling around SE Asia alone. I managed to enjoy myself just fine in Thailand & Cambodia, etc., so I can't imagine the Philippines being much different.. in fact I'm already sure I'll love it, if not more. I asked some rather simple questions pertaining to what's permitted there & for some general advice. I don't need an assessment or to know if I can handle it there..

Edited by kanoboy

Witchking

I carry an intuitive sense of my surroundings, well honed instincts and an easy going demeanor. Oh, I forgot to mention, a double barreled smile, which has gotten me through in the Philippines with no scuffs or bruises.