Suspected American pedophiles nabbed in Cagayan de Oro

JamesMusslewhite

tom_shor

There is an international law that makes it an offence to have sex with someone under 18, even when the country where it happens allows sex at a younger age.

It is that law, to which the US/UK/Oz and many other countries are signatories, that permits them to have laws of their own to allow prosecution of mtheir citizens for an offence that happens elsewhere.

So, basically, 18 is the "magic" age if you are a foreigner.

The two things that I dislike, and specifically relating to the PHilippines, are, (1)the difficulty of establishing age (even the authorites arent always able to do so) which allows some scams to take place, and (2) the lack of action against the many Filipino offenders or when there is action, the differene in treatment to the offenders.

Now, that is NOT saying that it is right, just that the law (and punishment) should apply to all.

Interesting since in many states in the US the law is 16. Hmmmmmmmm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamesMusslewhite

• Jess Bartone

• lazydays

• Cary

EXACTLY.

when i am in the phils i feel like am a guest there. I am not a citizen. As a guest i will respect the laws and customs of my host. If these old guys knew she was 15 they deserve the full weight of the law, the people of the Philippines and their children deserve our respect. My feelings about the age of consent has no impact on whether the law is the law or not. If we choose to come to the Philippines we have to expect to obey laws - if we dont like the laws stay at home. Dont make the rest of us look bad.

tom_shor

There is an international law that makes it an offence to have sex with someone under 18, even when the country where it happens allows sex at a younger age.

It is that law, to which the US/UK/Oz and many other countries are signatories, that permits them to have laws of their own to allow prosecution of mtheir citizens for an offence that happens elsewhere.

So, basically, 18 is the "magic" age if you are a foreigner.

This is the sort of law that pisses me off (and please, nobody misinterpret my position as "I really wish we could have sex with kids").

If you remember when Clinton was president, there was a big stink about a kid getting caned (in Singapore I think) for vandalizing cars. People in the US felt it was a barbaric punishment and wanted the kid let off. The whole thing ended up being one of those "You're in a foreign country with foreign laws and consequences. Deal with it." situations.

Now, if you're subject to the laws of the country you're in, this supercedes the law of the country you're from. Basically I'm saying a country shouldn't be able to extend its jurisdiction into another country when the laws conflict or differ.

And so it should be,its like "When in Rome,do as the Romans do".

So we can sack their citys enslave the people and haul away the plunder?

On a side note,you can still get caned in Singapore for overstaying your Visa. steve.gifoldtimer.gif

Glad I left on time.

Edited by tom_shor
KeithAngel

when i am in the phils i feel like am a guest there. I am not a citizen. As a guest i will respect the laws and customs of my host.

Pity the two often dont add up

My first trip to phil, i committed to not being with anyone younger than 18. I have read so many stories since then, that I changed the youngest age I mess with to 22, and am considering going higher. The older women are more fun anyway in my view.

A saintly decision for sure. :kidding:

Now, if you're subject to the laws of the country you're in, this supercedes the law of the country you're from. Basically I'm saying a country shouldn't be able to extend its jurisdiction into another country when the laws conflict or differ.

It's a question of sovereignty, and I agree with you.

lazydays

when i am in the phils i feel like am a guest there. I am not a citizen. As a guest i will respect the laws and customs of my host. If these old guys knew she was 15 they deserve the full weight of the law, the people of the Philippines and their children deserve our respect. My feelings about the age of consent has no impact on whether the law is the law or not. If we choose to come to the Philippines we have to expect to obey laws - if we dont like the laws stay at home. Dont make the rest of us look bad.

I second that thumbsup.gif