Sign in to follow this  
LifeofRiley

Phonetic pronunciation of tagalog

LifeofRiley

any-help.gif I would like to be able to say the words "Balikbayan" as in boxes and also "Pasalubong" if anyone could help by spelling them phonetically in english.

Thanks

Angie

These words are Tagalog. Balikbayan is also used in Cebuano. The good thing about these words is, they don't have silent letters. You don't need to spell them phonetically in English to be able to pronounce them correctly. Just divide them into syllables and you can then pronounce them.

BA - LIK - BA - YAN (pronounce the A's here as short A, as in "father", pronounce the I as in "pick")

PA - SA - LU - BUNG (pronounce the U as in "put")

MrSuave

Ball Lick Bye Yan

Pasa Lew Bong

Angie hit the nail on the head. The above may or may not help.

LifeofRiley

Thanks guys, that is great thumbs_up.gif

sam12six

Ball Lick Bye Yan

Y'know, my girlfriend said almost the same thing when I told her I needed something...

Angie

Ball Lick Bye Yan

Pronounce the Ba as the Ba in Balance.

The A in Ball has a different phonetic symbol so the Ba in Balikbayan is not pronounced that way.

Art

Ball Lick Bye Yan

Y'know, my girlfriend said almost the same thing when I told her I needed something...

:( I'm a bad man

MrSuave

Ball Lick Bye Yan

The A in Ball has a different phonetic symbol so the Ba in Balikbayan is not pronounced that way.

I stand corrected. I look forward to attending your Cebuano classes when I arrive, Angie! :biggrin_01:

Angie

Ball Lick Bye Yan

I stand corrected. I look forward to attending your Cebuano classes when I arrive, Angie! :thats-funny:

That would be great, Rex.

I have a one on one student who also wants to join a group class. However, my Irish students have been studying with me for almost 6 months now so it's difficult for him to join them as they don't want to start from the beginning again.

srfc1

Ball Lick Bye Yan

I stand corrected. I look forward to attending your Cebuano classes when I arrive, Angie! blush.gif

I have a one on one student who also wants to join a group class. However, my Irish students have been studying with me for almost 6 months now so it's difficult for him to join them as they don't want to start from the beginning again.

You have Irish students?I thought Smidsy and one other guy in Liloan were the only other Paddys in or around Cebu.And me when im there.

Angie

Ball Lick Bye Yan

I stand corrected. I look forward to attending your Cebuano classes when I arrive, Angie! blush.gif

You have Irish students?I thought Smidsy and one other guy in Liloan were the only other Paddys in or around Cebu.And me when im there.

Yes, I have Irish students. They've been living here for more than two years now. They're very nice and I feel very lucky to have them for my students :thats-funny: .

RogerDuMond

Ball Lick Bye Yan

I always thought that it was more like Bah as in Bah Bah Black sheep.

Bob Ward

Ball Lick Bye Yan

That's what you get for thinking. :any-help:

In different parts of the country the pronunciation will vary a little. But in Cubu, I'm pretty sure that Angie, as an English and Cebuano teacher, has a handle on the matter. :thats-funny:

Cheers mate!

Edited by Bob Ward

Angie

Ball Lick Bye Yan

Yes, you're right, Roger. They are pronounced the same, the only difference is that the Ba in Bah Bah Black Sheep is aspirated.

chokchai

Ball Lick Bye Yan

Yes, you're right, Roger. They are pronounced the same, the only difference is that the Ba in Bah Bah Black Sheep is aspirated.

The problem with trying to do this, if you're an English speaker, is how do you pronounce "Ba"? Ask people from the North of England, South of England, Australia, NZ, USA, etc., etc., to say the word "Bath" and you will get many different pronunciations.