New policy regarding late visa renwals

musicman666

I'm in overstay since last September but I can't afford to pay all in one shot. Also, I am legally married to a

Cebuana, if that has any bearing.

What is your take?

sept. of 2008?? i though you were overstay more then a year.. pay the fine and move on with your life...

Who are u, knowing virtually

NOTHING of my circumstances, to judge me thus?

Calm down. Robert may well have misread your post and assumed you've been overstaying for around 16 months when in fact you've overstayed for four months but that's no reason to over-react. I have edited your post to remove the ad-hominem attack you made on him which is contrary to the rules of this Forum.

Up to now, you owe BoI around ₱12 to ₱15 thousand in unpaid fees and fines, depending on which Extensions you've missed. I suggest you find the money and get yourself current as soon as possible.

Sorry Mark, I did not mean to overreact...just stressed,,,trying to stay with my wife and

family after making some "rookie" mistakes.

...But what the hey, there are the odd long-timer posters here who might look up "condescension"

in their dictionary.

All told,

Thanks for this site!

Mark

If they find you first you might end up getting deported. I don't know your financial situation but paying now will be a lot cheaper and less inconvenient that sitting in BOI confinement and then being deported.

Ok then,. would the punch-line be this? As fast as I can (which would be another 9 weeks) accumulate funds and then go plead my case with the letter etc?

My concern is that, despite marriage to local, reasonable intent, etc,,,,they might deport me if I present myself.

personaly i feel say 6 months isnt going to raise eyebrows (if they do its just because they want some extra cash)...just make sure your funds include a little extra to oil the wheels and go and face the music... the longer you leave it the worse it will get and ultimately you are going to have to come clean at some stage anyway.

Edited by musicman666
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Markham

• herenow

• bikerdave

• ed villas

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Your mother can't stay mad at you forever. She will let you come back if you are nice to her.

Guys last week I went in to BOI to extend my overstayed VISA. I was 4 months over (Gulp) and armed with info from this site.. I already had my typewritten printed out letter. My note expressed my

If you are not having any problems or disputes with any locals or law enforcement wait your 9 weeks and let them know your situation when you have the cash to pay all of your fines and extensions. I have never seen them deport someone who wasnt in trouble and came in willingly.As long as you get yourself current and not brought in for any legal action you will be ok.The BOI here are really not as bad as they seem. I wish you luck and keep your nose clean for another 9 weeks

I'm in overstay since last September but I can't afford to pay all in one shot. Also, I am legally married to a

What is your take?

sept. of 2008?? i though you were overstay more then a year.. pay the fine and move on with your life...

Last September would be in 2009, Robert .

yes

My concern is that, despite marriage to local, reasonable intent, etc,,,,they might deport me if I present myself.

You would think that be married to local would allow one to get around the various immigration laws, but just as it in the US, they don't.

The fact of the matter is that you are here on a tourist visa and must comply with everything that it entails. If you wish to be granted leniency due to marriage, you have the wrong legal status in regards to Immigration. The 13(a) Permanent Resident Visa is the one they intend you to have for long-term stays otherwise, you are just a tourist.

Judging by your own admissions though, I am thinking that the 13(a)'s requisite proof of financial stability (as well as the associated fees) may not be readily available. :lmao:

Judging by your own admissions though, I am thinking that the 13(a)'s requisite proof of financial stability (as well as the associated fees) may not be readily available. :(

Personally I agree with you but let's not speculate about his personal circumstances - and certainly not in this thread. This gentleman has opened a thread elsewhere about his visa issue which is a more appropriate venue for such discussion.

The bottom line here, folks, is that you really don't want to be late in getting your Extension renewals. If your due date falls on Public Holiday, I suggest you obtain your Extension no later than two working days beforehand. BoI will not accept as an excuse the fact their office was closed on your due day - so plan ahead! If you find getting Extensions too much of a bother or it doesn't fit in with your busy schedule, then consider employing the services of an Agent - such as AncienRocka - to obtain them on your behalf.

The following is a partial list of Public Holidays for the next six months: Feb 24 (EDSA Revolution Day), Feb 25 (People Power Day), Apr 1 (Maundy Thursday), Apr 2 (Good Friday), Apr 9 (Bataan Day), May 3 (Labour Day), June 14 (Independence Day), Aug 23 (Ninoy Aquino Day) and Aug 29 (National Heroes' Day). The Philippines also celebrates Chinese New Year as a Public Holiday which this year falls on Feb 14 (Sunday), it's likely that there will be a Public Holiday on the following day. There will be other Public Holidays during this period, usually announced at fairly short notice.

Mark

Edited by Markham
Added Chinese New Year
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys last week I went in to BOI to extend my overstayed VISA. I was 4 months over (Gulp) and armed with info from this site.. I already had my typewritten printed out letter. My note expressed my regrets for being late et and that I was in the process of getting my 13a application together and asked for leniency. (Thanks for the heads up about the letter as I saw some guys scrbbling out handwritten notes in the lobby)... Anyway They came back and said after review that they would allow the extension (but this was the last time (I never had been late before) and future lates wouldn't be tolerated.)

4 months cost me 8,000+ pesos..which ws a lot less than I had calculated. Staff treated me well and was courteous.. I was dressed business casual, with dress shoes.

Good luck & don't be late!

• Like 1
ancienrocka

Guys last week I went in to BOI to extend my overstayed VISA. I was 4 months over (Gulp) and armed with info from this site.. I already had my typewritten printed out letter. My note expressed my regrets for being late et and that I was in the process of getting my 13a application together and asked for leniency. (Thanks for the heads up about the letter as I saw some guys scrbbling out handwritten notes in the lobby)... Anyway They came back and said after review that they would allow the extension (but this was the last time (I never had been late before) and future lates wouldn't be tolerated.)

4 months cost me 8,000+ pesos..which ws a lot less than I had calculated. Staff treated me well and was courteous.. I was dressed business casual, with dress shoes.

Good luck & don't be late!

My own experiences tie in with what you've said - I did a one week "late extension" for a client last week who had a very valid reason for his lateness. The letter we had prepared was taken into the inner sanctum of the BoI and came back about 5 minutes later with an acceptance of his excuse.

Overstays are now being taken very seriously indeed, certainly in Cebu - remember, you don't need to wait until the last minute to renew, do it early.

I put the next renewal date for all my clients in my Outlook planner and contact them about a week before the renewal date - all are grateful - some people know exactly when it is due and others are partying so hard, they just lose track of time. If you use a diary or Outlook, put your renewal date down and make sure you don't pay more than you need by being fined for overstaying.

Paul

• 4 months later...
booger10

I got deported from somewhere once for overstaying, in most places it's regarded as being a pretty serious thing.

Your mother can't stay mad at you forever. She will let you come back if you are nice to her.rofl.gif

hahaha... well, you never know..

Markham

I just got back from cebu-its 3.30am and i finally got my passport back from a 'fixer'.

about 2.5 months ago I was introduced yo a so-called immigration employee who could organise my 13a resident visa. I handed over 7k and my passport. (she was wearing a card with an ID stating she was from immigration).

when I finally got my passport back I realised she had done nothing at all and I was infact now 6weeks overdue with nothing being done about my extensions or 13a visa. Throughout this time her txts were vague and few and she wouldnt answer her phone.

I questioned her thoroughly throughout our meeting late yesterday and at no time would she admit to being an employee of immigration but instead kept changing the topic and blaming the lateness on 'personal problems'. she wouldnt tell me her boss or company she worked for but finally let the company name slip. she would not let me photograph her (fake) ID but i did take a pic of her (showing part of the ID) on my phone.

I said I was going to complain about her to the head of immigration and the police and that i had kept all her txts she had sent me. (she wouldnt answer the phone when we tried calling).

In the txt messages on several occasions she said she was 'busy on duty at Manila airport' and couldnt answer the phone. I said 'do you work for immigration? she replied yes-i am at the airport on duty now.

not only am I out of pocket 7k but I am now an overstayer.

In 6 years of being here I have never been late, but now Im rooted.

I agreed to meet her at BOI next week and she would return the 7k and have my passport put back up to date. If she doesnt - heads WILL roll!

Im really P---ed off about this and feel totally conned by someone impersonating a BOI official.

let this be a lesson my friends, check people out prior to handing over hard earned cash!!!

she has also conned 20k out of a friend and kept his passport. After alot of threats and haggling I finally got her to hand his passport back. he is now 6 weeks over as well...

remember here that this is a person who has impersonated a government official in order to obtain financial gain...

if she doesnt show next week and I dont get my money back or visa up to date, I would really like to post her name on this website in order to warn others about her unscrupulous ways. could someone advise me if I can name her in a post here?

Firstly, are you married to a citizen of the Philippines or was this to be a bogus 13(a) Visa?

I guess you didn't see the signs, both outside and inside the BoI office, warning foreigners not to use fixers. Or read this Forum where the same advice is to be found.

You will have to write a letter explaining the reasons why you have not applied for Extensions of Stay and it could well be that using a fixer against BoI's posted advice will be frowned upon. You will undoubtedly be fined (500 Pesos + 500 Pesos for 'Motion to Consider' for each and every month you're in arrears) and will have to pay for all due Extensions.

As for posting the name of the fixer you used, I would strongly advise you against that. For one thing, she may well not be using her real name so may not have any practical value but more importantly, if she discovered her name here, she could deny any involvement with you and retaliate with civil and administrative cases against you. Remember, she knows your real name and your Passport number; you, on the other hand, have no proof she is who she said she is since her ID was fake.

I'm sorry if the foregoing is harsh but yours is one of those cases where foreigners have been ripped-off by so-called "fixers" and precisely why BoI warns foreigners against using them.

Mark

• 4 months later...
ArieBombarie

fat chance I will hand over my passport to anybody for keeps being abroad

you should be extra fined for being stupid :biggrin_01: (just kidding mate hope it all worked out)

Edited by ArieBombarie
  • 1 month later...

heres my letter

dear sirs,

please excuse my late renewel of my tourist visa as I lost track of time and over looked the due date.

I been a bad boy lately and drinking up a storm with my expat buddies

hence a total lake of control on my part

ps...can I buy you guys some red horse after work

thanks again

smokey

I just got back from cebu-its 3.30am and i finally got my passport back from a 'fixer'.

about 2.5 months ago I was introduced yo a so-called immigration employee who could organise my 13a resident visa. I handed over 7k and my passport. (she was wearing a card with an ID stating she was from immigration).

when I finally got my passport back I realised she had done nothing at all and I was infact now 6weeks overdue with nothing being done about my extensions or 13a visa. Throughout this time her txts were vague and few and she wouldnt answer her phone.

I questioned her thoroughly throughout our meeting late yesterday and at no time would she admit to being an employee of immigration but instead kept changing the topic and blaming the lateness on 'personal problems'. she wouldnt tell me her boss or company she worked for but finally let the company name slip. she would not let me photograph her (fake) ID but i did take a pic of her (showing part of the ID) on my phone.

I said I was going to complain about her to the head of immigration and the police and that i had kept all her txts she had sent me. (she wouldnt answer the phone when we tried calling).

In the txt messages on several occasions she said she was 'busy on duty at Manila airport' and couldnt answer the phone. I said 'do you work for immigration? she replied yes-i am at the airport on duty now.

not only am I out of pocket 7k but I am now an overstayer.

In 6 years of being here I have never been late, but now Im rooted.

I agreed to meet her at BOI next week and she would return the 7k and have my passport put back up to date. If she doesnt - heads WILL roll!

Im really P---ed off about this and feel totally conned by someone impersonating a BOI official.

let this be a lesson my friends, check people out prior to handing over hard earned cash!!!

she has also conned 20k out of a friend and kept his passport. After alot of threats and haggling I finally got her to hand his passport back. he is now 6 weeks over as well...

remember here that this is a person who has impersonated a government official in order to obtain financial gain...

if she doesnt show next week and I dont get my money back or visa up to date, I would really like to post her name on this website in order to warn others about her unscrupulous ways. could someone advise me if I can name her in a post here?

maybe she does work for BI .... and if you post her name you might find yourself up on the third floor...

• Admin (Retired)
broden

heres my letter

dear sirs,

please excuse my late renewel of my tourist visa as I lost track of time and over looked the due date.

I been a bad boy lately and drinking up a storm with my expat buddies

hence a total lake of control on my part

ps...can I buy you guys some red horse after work

thanks again

probably the most honest one they'll ever get

you'll probably receive some kind of commendation