Has anyone gotten a USA Visitor Visa for girlfriend?

I know that the UK gov't has tightened up on fiancee visa requirements over the last 12months,eg must be aged 21+,and doubling the cost of fiancee visas.

The cost of all Visas has gone up in recent months but the biggest increases were for Fiancee and Spousal Visas. Part of that increase will be to act as a deterrent, no doubt about it, but in the past, the UK taxpayer contributed part of the costs in processing Visas. This has now stopped and the full cost of processing is passed-on to the applicants and their sponsors. Also, Visas are no longer processed locally but by a clerical branch of the Borders Agency in the UK and no doubt that adds to the cost.

Mark

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Cary

• RogerDuMond

• Paul

RogerDuMond

My GF owns a lot and a house in her hometown, and has the paper to prove it, I wonder if that would be enough to get her here on a tourist visa.

Probably not. Immigration usually wants to see a Philippine bank account with a substantial amount of money in it (can't remember the amount that they told me). This needs to be an account with a history not one that has just been set up. They also told me that they want to see proof of long term employment. Now this was from an immigration official in 1993 so I don't think that it would have gotten any easier.

The Mason

My wife's aunt owns a sign making business in which she employs her sons and when she came to the US it was 2007 and business was good. Now today like everyone else she is hurting. But again Raptor, she had to basically beg to get the visa, we had to write letters on her behalf.

But she was traveling on her own, not accompanied from and back to Phils by a citizen of the US, I'm hoping that will mean something to the officials. Also from the advice here, it may be smart to just set up a small business here for her, maybe one of those small stores on the street, or a bunch of piglets, etc.

Being with you would make it less likely that she will be approved. The consular officials will assume you're just trying to do an end-run around the fiancee visa process. The only thing that will get her approved is significant financial and familial ties to the Philippines. A sari-sari or pig farm won't qualify. It has to be an actual business that earns significant income.Without those, I think you're wasting your $130 application fee.

If you try to go the business route, it is not as easy as you think to get a work visa for her. Unless she has a specialized skill that you cannot hire for in your area, she's unlikely to get a work visa. There are quotas and hierarchies for allotments of work visas, they don't just give them out to anyone that asks.

As others have said, the Philippines is a high visa-fraud country. US govt. figures put the Philippines #3 in terms of how many illegal immigrants are in the US. They rank behind Mexicans and Eastern Europeans as a group. It is extremely difficult to get a visa unless it is spousal or fiancee visa. I've been down this road in the past with my wife. Its not at all likely that you'll get a visa for her unless you marry her or plan to do so.

smokey

if it was not so sad it would be funny we all start out the same way.... i tried the i will hire her thing that did not work ,,, then the just a visit .. no way... the only person i saw GET a visitors visa for a women was in 2004 at the embassy .. he was in line and we started talking and he said he meet his GF a week ago at some bar but she was only serving drinks .. ha ha ha ...he was in line to apply for a visitors visa for her and i said ... its really hard to get one be ready for a let down... he says my brother already arranged it for me... your brother ... yea he is the congressmen from Alabama ..

Someone mentioned that if the foreigner (boyfriend) can show that he will be responsible in regard to financial support for his Filipina girlfriend that is trying to get the Tourist visa to the US, that might be helpfull ... Well, here is what the US imigrations people have to say about that:

"In general, affidavits of support of any sort from relatives or sponsors will be of little value to an applicant (except to student visa applicants). The Affidavit of Support is a requirement only for immigrant visas. The interviewing officer is less concerned about how the applicant will be supported during his or her stay in the United States than whether the applicant has compelling reasons to return home. We encourage the interested third parties to save their time and money and not prepare affidavits of support".

http://manila.usembassy.gov/wwwhnv03.html

Edited by Turbota

The reason why Paul said its next to impossible is because so many Filipinos in the past have not left, they stayed in droves and as a result now the Philippines is unoffically been black listed.

I haven't seen or heard that at all for USA, it sounds like you're describing Mexicans which cross the border.

You have to look at things from the sceptical viewpoint adopted by the Visa issuer. She is your girlfriend now but who's to say that she will continue to be so and maybe she is play-acting to get a Visa and secretly plans to abandon you once she has gained entry to the US. That, rightly or wrongly, is how Consuls and Immigration officials think when considering such applications.

That would normally make sense with Mexican or even Chinese, but again there is no illegal Filipino immigration issue here, so the assumption that she would abandon me is funny, even the legal population of Filipinos is tiny.

Ever been to Southern California, Seattle, or Jacksonville, Florida?

There is enough of Filipinos in California to support 22 Jollibee locations. Those stores were not built to cater to the native Californians.

Edited by T.S.
softail

Just a question. Dose anyone know if a quota exists, meaning that there are only so many visas to be issued?

RogerDuMond

Just a question. Dose anyone know if a quota exists, meaning that there are only so many visas to be issued?

The only non-immigrant visas that have quotas are different types of work visas and temporary protected status visas. There is no quota for visitor visas. http://www.immigralaw.com/english/bvisa.shtml