Has anyone gotten a USA Visitor Visa for girlfriend?

My wife's aunt owns a sign making business in which she employs her sons and when she came to the US it was 2007 and business was good. Now today like everyone else she is hurting. But again Raptor, she had to basically beg to get the visa, we had to write letters on her behalf.

But she was traveling on her own, not accompanied from and back to Phils by a citizen of the US, I'm hoping that will mean something to the officials. Also from the advice here, it may be smart to just set up a small business here for her, maybe one of those small stores on the street, or a bunch of piglets, etc.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Raptor

• Cary

• RogerDuMond

• Paul

RogerDuMond

There are specific guidelines for visa approval. All visas, with the exception of spousal visas ultimately come down to the judgment of the immigration official. A spousal visa is a different animal. The US government can not legally decline an application for a spousal visa except in case of fraud, criminal record, or certain communicable diseases.

Correct Roger.

There are specific guidelines for visa approval. All visas, with the exception of spousal visas ultimately come down to the judgment of the immigration official. A spousal visa is a different animal. The US government can not legally decline an application for a spousal visa except in case of fraud, criminal record, or certain communicable diseases.

I'm not sure about the US but would be very surprised if the requirements aren't similar to, or more stringent, than those for a UK Visitors Visa. In short, these are:

• Applicant must have a bank account showing an average balance of at least ₱100,000 over the last six months
  • Either a Contract of Employment (with proof from the employer that the applicant has been granted a leave of absence and will have a job to return to), or, own an established business which has employees
  • Own property
  • Have compelling reasons to return to the Philippines
  • Must not have been refused a Visitors Visa for the UK or any European country
  • The Sponsor must provide proof of sufficient funds to support the applicant throughout their stay, including bank and credit card statements, proof of permanent housing etc.

You have to look at things from the sceptical viewpoint adopted by the Visa issuer. She is your girlfriend now but who's to say that she will continue to be so and maybe she is play-acting to get a Visa and secretly plans to abandon you once she has gained entry to the US. That, rightly or wrongly, is how Consuls and Immigration officials think when considering such applications.

Mark

smokey

How about, almost impossible?

Well, you didn't mention where you would want her to visit, so I am assuming you are talking about a western country.

USA. I can show I would be financially responsible for her there including place to stay, but showing she has ties in Phils may be more difficult. If a work Visa easier, I have a business and could bring her as an *employee*...

if only it was that easy... basically she would have a better chance if she did not tell them about you.... the only ones i see getting them are doctors , lawyers ,, business people .. with lots more money then me

eggnoggin

Man ..its a girlfriend patch.. row after row....let some other sucker bust his chops so she can ream "him" out in the states...youre gonna have more fun stickin you foot under a lawn mower...or falling in love with a wolverine...grow up grow a pair and learn how to slip out the back while shes talking about her nails and hair or how stuck up her friends are... :oldtimer::welcome2::drink:

Edited by eggnoggin
smokey

The reason why Paul said its next to impossible is because so many Filipinos in the past have not left, they stayed in droves and as a result now the Philippines is unoffically been black listed.

I haven't seen or heard that at all for USA, it sounds like you're describing Mexicans which cross the border.

And if you try that trick of listing her as your employee, are you sure you want to do that? If she is caught you are the one that will face the music.

It wouldn't be a trick, I have a business and could employ her for temp work etc.

Short version: If she is wealthy, most likely she would be granted a tourist visa, even a ten-year multiple entry tourist visa. If not, it is highly doubtful that she would be approved. So, my best advice to you, would be to consider a fiancee visa for her.

That would demand we get married within 90 days of arrival, something I don't want to do yet. For now I am here in Phils with her, and when I go back to USA to visit temporarily, I would like to bring her with me for a month or so, then both back here.

Since this is a legit "Visitor / Tourist Visa" request, I would hope that I can prove it, including that I would be responsible for her in USA, even though she is not wealthy, does not own land or a car or a business or anything else.

many of us have been there and done that... it just dont work . you think you have power but you really dont even if your married that is no for sure thing she will be allowed to come.. you will just have to do it the hard way..Also before you even start a K1 make very sure she is not already married ... if so you will need an annulment even if the guy split 20 years ago the government still says married..

Edited by robert51

I'm not sure about the US but would be very surprised if the requirements aren't similar to, or more stringent, than those for a UK Visitors Visa. In short, these are:

• Applicant must have a bank account showing an average balance of at least ₱100,000 over the last six months
  • Either a Contract of Employment (with proof from the employer that the applicant has been granted a leave of absence and will have a job to return to), or, own an established business which has employees
  • Own property

Fail on all those, I guess only the rich can visit the US.

You have to look at things from the sceptical viewpoint adopted by the Visa issuer. She is your girlfriend now but who's to say that she will continue to be so and maybe she is play-acting to get a Visa and secretly plans to abandon you once she has gained entry to the US. That, rightly or wrongly, is how Consuls and Immigration officials think when considering such applications.

That would normally make sense with Mexican or even Chinese, but again there is no illegal Filipino immigration issue here, so the assumption that she would abandon me is funny, even the legal population of Filipinos is tiny.

RogerDuMond

Fail on all those, I guess only the rich can visit the US.

That would normally make sense with Mexican or even Chinese, but again there is no illegal Filipino immigration issue here, so the assumption that she would abandon me is funny, even the legal population of Filipinos is tiny.

Basically you are correct they have to be affluent. They have to have a genuine reason to return to the Philippines.

The issue , unlike the Mexicans, is not current. The same reason was put forward when I was looking in 1992. I am sure that it is the same for all economically challenged countries except for Cuba.

Raptor;

When you apply for the tourist visa, can you let us know what happens? I know that we may seem to be piling on you but we are not and I for one do hope that that you get very lucky. Based on what my wife's aunt has gone through I think you will be turned down but again I hope you get lucky. Really.

Raptor; When you apply for the tourist visa, can you let us know what happens? I know that we may seem to be piling on you but we are not and I for one do hope that that you get very lucky. Based on what my wife's aunt has gone through I think you will be turned down but again I hope you get lucky. Really.

I appreciate all the advice, in this thread and in others I read before I registered. I won't be going back to USA until 2011 though, just trying to plan in advance.

Man ..its a girlfriend patch.. row after row....let some other sucker bust his chops so she can ream "him" out in the states...youre gonna have more fun stickin you foot under a lawn mower...or falling in love with a wolverine...grow up grow a pair and learn how to slip out the back while shes talking about her nails and hair or how stuck up her friends are...

:thumbsup:

I'll be fine, I said I'm trying to bring my gf, not my gf and her whole family.

blaze pontaine

There are many good responses here, I asked this same question a few months ago and my thread got locked by the overzealous admins.

From my experience here on the ground, the only way she can get a tourist visa is if she has lots of money in the bank - like 2 million pesos.

lazydays

With the current economic climate and mass unemployment in the US and Europe,you can be sure that the authorities will be taking an even closer look at applications and looking for all the reasons a person is unlikely to return.

I would guess its even more difficult now than it was a few years ago,and that the tourist visa interview at the US embassy will be even stricter.

I know that the UK gov't has tightened up on fiancee visa requirements over the last 12months,eg must be aged 21+,and doubling the cost of fiancee visas.

softail

Getting a tourist visa is almost impossible in my experience. Nineteen months ago I had my church wedding here in the US. We invited three of my wife

My wife's aunt was able to get a tourist visa but she had to first show that she would come back to the Philippines as well as proof that she had property in Manila as well, and finally she promised up and down that she would not stay in the US.

My GF owns a lot and a house in her hometown, and has the paper to prove it, I wonder if that would be enough to get her here on a tourist visa.