container housing

villagerNo8
the great thing about a container is that you can install it in location and know it will be there upon your return ..
They would cut it apart and sell for scrap way before they try to take a cement house.

hopfully not while im livin in it :evan_iliadis:

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• villagerNo8

• Willie

• Runian

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I live in here in Baghdad the US government set these up as a temporary living shelters. I like it so much that they had offered me a new place to live and I turned it down(very quiet).

That house on stilts looks to be made of wood ... I would think that the termites would eat it up in no time here in the Phils.

Posted Images

SkyMan

Another thing I don't think we've mentioned is that most use these for storage and/or shop. They are great for an outbuilding. :P

That's what I was thinking. Ship a bunch of quality building supplies and tools from your country to your site here and it all arrives already locked up. Take out what you need as you need it and lock the rest up. Your first construction project doesn't need to be a storage building to lock up your tools and materials because they came in one. After construction is complete, cover it with bamboo and nipa and you have a nice secure workshop or a place for the relatives to stay when they visit.

SkyMan

I thought of another good use too. You bury the container in your backyard about 8 feet down. Cover the top, sides, and doors, with about a centemeter of lead followed by a foot of heavy duty concrete along with a concrete access tunnel and stairwell. Store several barrels of drinking water, cases of canned and dry goods, blankets, battery operated radio, tv, etc. Then you have a nice fallout shelter. Now I'm not expecting a direct hit on Cebu but you never know about Iran, pakistan/India, or the Koreas or whatever. And if we happen to be down wind of it, it might be nice to have somewhere to hang out for a couple weeks, eh?

• 1 month later...
LifeofRiley

This idea has really captured my imagination.

Have you actually sourced the containers or is it still just an idea?

i have had this idea for a long time. in caomtes i live on the side of mountian i want to make a hole in said mountian behine house to put container into than i would have :o storage and also safe place to hid from storms.

• 3 weeks later...
fred42

Also researched this a long time ago..We were going to put a cogon roof over it to completley shade walls which will keep out the heat and clad the walls with amakan.. At the time you couldnt get them for love nor money as these companies could ship them anywhere in the world for best prices..Metal prices have dropped considerably since the downturn so they may be available again at better prices...Metal prices are creaping up again so buy now if you can..

Great idea and you should be safe in an earthquake!! Cant say fairer than that.

KennyF

I thought of another good use too. You bury the container in your backyard about 8 feet down. Cover the top, sides, and doors, with about a centemeter of lead followed by a foot of heavy duty concrete along with a concrete access tunnel and stairwell. Store several barrels of drinking water, cases of canned and dry goods, blankets, battery operated radio, tv, etc. Then you have a nice fallout shelter. Now I'm not expecting a direct hit on Cebu but you never know about Iran, pakistan/India, or the Koreas or whatever. And if we happen to be down wind of it, it might be nice to have somewhere to hang out for a couple weeks, eh?

Good idea, and when you come out you'd be uncontaminated meat for us guys left up top.

Kenny in Camiguin

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit! Someone is actually doing this now. But the cost is

1.2 Million Pesos for a shipping container home

Yes, it is my van. the price include all 3 container homes. I am going back to England for business reasons, and since me and my girlfriend would not be around for a year or so I might as well sell it for the moment if someone would be interested . I am selling it because no one will look after it for us and because I know I can always have a new one when I get back, The price is negotiable since I am living the country soon. I will surely miss Cebu.

thx, that worked

Headshot

I guess that is great if you want to live in a mobile home. That is basically all they are.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sorry to reinitate an old thread, but its quite interesting. In Tondo, Manila. The Philippine Community Fund (run by British volounteer Jane Walker) have built a school using containers on Smokey Mountain. I've been up there and have to say it is amazing, and its unbelievably cool and comfortable inside.

Great project, and something well worth supporting. They aren't givers, they are people who help people to help themselves.

http://www.dailymail...ums-Manila.html

http://www.independe...la-1743369.html

article-1218825-06721D1B000005DC-208_470x311.jpg

Edited by Ricky