container housing

smokey

I'm thinking HOT.

And noisy.

And expensive.

Realy no point in this exercise here in RP.

Not if insulated and clad?

Since nobody has given the cost of buying used containers here in cebu, don't know how you can say that about being 'expensive'?

$2,000 (Php100,000?) was quoted for 1 x 40' container - perhaps rather less here in Cebu?

4 x 40' containers = Php400,000 max?

40 x 40 x 2 = 3200 sq ft = 298 square meters

So the basic Frame can be built for Php1,300 per sq m max.

Will need 'extra' for stairs beams and flooring and walls between the containers, but if the containers are half this price, it could be very viable?

What the container gives you is mechanically strong rigid steel 'box' stucture, that can be stacked, and withstand load.

Since containers are made from recycled steel. it should be cheaper than building a steel framed girder building, surely?

It certainly quicker than poured steel reinforced concrete and cost of this has risen rather in last 4 years.

I saw these containers in Sulit:

Used quality Shipping Container Vans for Sale!

20' Container - PhP 73,000.00

40' Container - PhP 93,000.00

Delivery w/in M.M. - PhP 5,000.00

Forklift for unloading PhP 18,000.00

Plus 12% VAT (if you need OR)

Read more: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/1305015/referralKeywords/shipping+container/Used+Container+Van+for+Sale+%28Class+B%29#ixzz0cMxsyS3R

So for 4 x 40' containers, you'd be looking at about P460,000 all up.

I think your calulations are a bit off. The total area for the 4 containers works out at 119 square meters. (40' L x 8' W x 4 = 1280 sqf = 119 sqm). So that's P3865 per sqm for an empty box.

And the standard inside height of a container is less than 2.4 meters and that head height is reduced even more when you put the flooring and ceiling in

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• villagerNo8

• Willie

• Runian

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I live in here in Baghdad the US government set these up as a temporary living shelters. I like it so much that they had offered me a new place to live and I turned it down(very quiet).

That house on stilts looks to be made of wood ... I would think that the termites would eat it up in no time here in the Phils.

Posted Images

Jess Bartone

Thanks Villager, I thought it was a good idea too. The main concern was being too hot, or too expensive, but P10,000 sounds fine to me. I was thinking if you could find an old refrigerated 40 footer, and the end section where the ref unit was would make a great balcony. The insulation on those is designed to withstand extreme temps and keep stuff frozen.

It would make a great starting point for someone on a budget, and add to it with more conventional materials as funds became available. They're designed to withstand in excess of 150 tons on top, so it would really be a great platform for whatever you wanted to add to it, or as David suggested, 2 on the ground and 2 on top at 90 degrees. You're only limited by your imagination, but judging by some of the comments, they are limited by their imaginationcrack-up.gif

villagerNo8

Hi everyone....i understand the hot humid climate would be an issue if precautions werent taken so i had a hunt around on the net and come across this small container home built in Bangkok. i hope i can find some more examples.. i have heard from mrs's family that there is a filipino retireee living in a shipping container house in the same region i intend on settling.

as JeeseB said, You're only limited by your imagination.

im in the process of sortin out some shipping container from CDO so hopfully ill have a bit of a build report going up in the coming months for anyone interested..

fingers crossed for acceptable insulation..dont really want to hot box myself to death, or even worse, pay for the electricity bill to keep it cooled :rolleyes:

villagerNo8

Seams the 40 footer fell in price

http://sulit.com.ph/1550825

getting them to cebu is another matter :rolleyes:

P3800 / sqm don't look bad as the two houses I just saw here on the forum was P22 000 and P30 000/sqm.

However p3800 is just a box, a box that need insulation. but with the right location u can digg the container house into a hill side.

For all the money you save on insulation and weather proofing you can buy 45" plasma tv's to simulate windows in all your rooms,

and then u have tv in every room as well :as-if:. So when 119 sqm is to small u just dig the dirt off your roof and putt on a sett of new containers as the 2nd floor :rolleyes:

I think u need to paint and spray concrete on it before you cover it though.. but with dirt covering 3 sides and a few feet on the roof, you wont need AC .

musicman666

the great thing about a container is that you can install it in location and know it will be there upon your return ..

Jess Bartone

getting them to cebu is another matter not_see.gif

P3800 / sqm don't look bad as the two houses I just saw here on the forum was P22 000 and P30 000/sqm.

However p3800 is just a box, a box that need insulation. but with the right location u can digg the container house into a hill side.

For all the money you save on insulation and weather proofing you can buy 45" plasma tv's to simulate windows in all your rooms,

and then u have tv in every room as well laugh.gif. So when 119 sqm is to small u just dig the dirt off your roof and putt on a sett of new containers as the 2nd floor thumbsup.gif

I think u need to paint and spray concrete on it before you cover it though.. but with dirt covering 3 sides and a few feet on the roof, you wont need AC .

That was a concept I thought about for a walk in coolroom for hanging beef and processed meats. You could even have a partitioned "inner sanctum" freezer. The entrance could be enclosed in a sterile and airconditioned work area. Being mostly buried, it would take very little power to keep everything cold.

getting them to cebu is another matter not_see.gif

and then u have tv in every room as well laugh.gif. So when 119 sqm is to small u just dig the dirt off your roof and putt on a sett of new containers as the 2nd floor :thumbsup:

That was a concept I thought about for a walk in coolroom for hanging beef and processed meats. You could even have a partitioned "inner sanctum" freezer. The entrance could be enclosed in a sterile and airconditioned work area. Being mostly buried, it would take very little power to keep everything cold.

Yeah if u plan on running a butcher business it can be a grate power saver or at the least u may save money on the storage construction.

I'd like to know the price of concrete/m3 to compare, maybe a pored concrete structure can compete with the price of cargo containers ??

Jess Bartone

Good point Runian. The key to using a container is rustproofing, which concrete provides by excluding moisture, but if you are pouring concrete, why use the container? On the other hand, the container is providing the perfect form and shape for the pour. Hmmmm..... This is doing my head in.

blink.gif

Good point Runian. The key to using a container is rustproofing, which concrete provides by excluding moisture, but if you are pouring concrete, why use the container? On the other hand, the container is providing the perfect form and shape for the pour. Hmmmm..... This is doing my head in.

blink.gif

he he he you misunderstand, I want to compare the price of a container structure versus one made of concrete.

David_LivinginTalisay

I think your calulations are a bit off. The total area for the 4 containers works out at 119 square meters. (40' L x 8' W x 4 = 1280 sqf = 119 sqm). So that's P3865 per sqm for an empty box.

Andrew

I think you misunderstood my concept of using 40' Containers as a 'framework'

I am just suggesting using the rigid framework of such containers, as 'building blocks',

(such as a house/tower a child might make from rectangular wooden blocks).

One could then weld additional steel beams, where required. Steel flooring supporting poured concrete for extra floor areas, leaving stairs and open areas where required. Then construct steel roofing trusses on the top and add converntional roofing tiles, gutters etc.

I am not a structural engineer, but did read about the load and stresses such containers could withstand, and seemed impressive. I also dont know how the costs compare with conventional Steel reinforced concrete pillars and beams, but it can certainly be constructed quicker?

See if this helps give you a better idea, of my 'concept' idea, that I am suggesting as perhaps being workable solution:-

http://docs.google.c...R3OGg2ZGo&hl=en

eggnoggin

i dun thisin in panama...in the mountains above boquete...you can see it on the web sky searches.. :thumbsup:

RogerDuMond

it works well here in London. http://www.containercity.com/ but fitting out does add a lot to the cost of course... but still is cheap in our property market.

The cost of building in UK is much higher than in the Philippines. The major cost of building a home in the US is labor. When my wife had our house built in Owak in 2006, she had 26 people working on it at one time. The person making the most, was the forman and he was making the equivelent of $6.50 per day. She built the house for about $25,000.

Well I just got a mail from some1 in Indonesia that sells containers @ around $1200 US .

Shipping can be arranged the question is if I want to send them empty or let them find cargo for it, and save on shipping costs :biggrin_01:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/107681251/Storage_Containers_40_Ft_Steel_USED_.html

the great thing about a container is that you can install it in location and know it will be there upon your return ..

They would cut it apart and sell for scrap way before they try to take a cement house.