container housing

It all sounds well and good,but if you add on the conversion costs of some of the examples here,i feel they would not be cheap in comparison to building a standard western style building in Phils.

IMO a modified version of this would be the ideal home in the Philippines.

We see these elevated designs in coastal areas like Florida. I've long admired the design. I just like the look a lot, plus big cheap easy garage!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• villagerNo8

• Willie

• Runian

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I live in here in Baghdad the US government set these up as a temporary living shelters. I like it so much that they had offered me a new place to live and I turned it down(very quiet).

That house on stilts looks to be made of wood ... I would think that the termites would eat it up in no time here in the Phils.

Posted Images

That house on stilts looks to be made of wood ... I would think that the termites would eat it up in no time here in the Phils.

• Like 1

an empty 20footer empty container van was cost 10,000pesos each that was last sept.2009.

lazydays

Yes it is made of wood,its a very old,renovated and preserved Lumad Tribal Chieftans house in Mindanao.

I presume the wood is termite proof or is treated or painted with something.

I believe there are some woods that are termite proof.

I remember reading many years ago of a termite proof hardwood used in NZ to build wooden houses,maybe a similar wood is found in Phils.

David_LivinginTalisay

Containers are Strong and made from recycled Steel, so are 'green'.

A 40' container can become a 'mobile home'?

Advantages:

1. Because the container is on its wheels you do not need any permits to put this on your land. You just drop it off and either connect it to a septic tank or buy an external tank for above ground usage.

2. All of the electricity and water systems are included. Both water and electricity just connect to the land lines on your property. If your lot has no electricity you could request solar at an additional cost.

3. It

I'm thinking HOT.

And noisy.

And expensive.

Realy no point in this exercise here in RP.

I would hate to be in one when lightning strikes! :)

lazydays

Never seen any articulated lorries in Mindanao.

I would hate to be in one when lightning strikes! not_see.gif

Nice one, thumbsup.gifrofl.gifrofl.gif

David_LivinginTalisay

I'm thinking HOT.

And noisy.

And expensive.

Not if insulated and clad?

Since nobody has given the cost of buying used containers here in cebu, don't know how you can say that about being 'expensive'?

$2,000 (Php100,000?) was quoted for 1 x 40' container - perhaps rather less here in Cebu?

4 x 40' containers = Php400,000 max?

40 x 40 x 2 = 3200 sq ft = 298 square meters

So the basic Frame can be built for Php1,300 per sq m max.

Will need 'extra' for stairs beams and flooring and walls between the containers, but if the containers are half this price, it could be very viable?

What the container gives you is mechanically strong rigid steel 'box' stucture, that can be stacked, and withstand load.

Since containers are made from recycled steel. it should be cheaper than building a steel framed girder building, surely?

It certainly quicker than poured steel reinforced concrete and cost of this has risen rather in last 4 years.

David_LivinginTalisay

I would hate to be in one when lightning strikes! :)

Why?

Thought it would act like a 'Faraday Cage' assuming the containers are 'grounded'? The electric 'strike'is conducted around the shell to ground, protecting the 'contents'?

See Wikipedia entry

A
Faraday cage
, or
Faraday shield
, is an enclosure formed by
or by a mesh of such material. Such an enclosure blocks out external static
. Faraday cages are named after the English scientist
, who invented them in 1836.

A Faraday cage's operation depends on the fact that an external static electrical field will cause the
within the cage's conducting material to redistribute themselves so as to cancel the field's effects in the cage's interior. This phenomenon is used, for example, to protect electronic equipment from
strikes and other

In 1836, Michael Faraday observed that the charge on a charged conductor resided only on its exterior and had no influence on anything enclosed within it. To demonstrate this fact, he built a room coated with metal foil and allowed high-voltage discharges from an electrostatic generator to strike the outside of the room. He used an
to show that there was no electric charge present on the inside of the room's walls.

In the UK once we were inside a brick built house, and there was lightning stike close by, and we got a shock as we were touching the glass whilst looking out! Cant see conventional houses offer better protection in a lightening storm?

Then again perhaps you were just trying to be 'funny'/sarcastic?

thebob

an empty 20footer empty container van was cost 10,000pesos each that was last sept.2009.

Where did you find these?

newtocebu

Old shipping containers are used as temporary accommodation for the construction workers at our subdivision ( and i suspect that they would be used similarly on other construction projects )

Each container is filled with bunk beds ( not sure how many each container accommodates ) and have approx 600 x 600 squares cut out acting as makeshift windows.

Often they are stacked two high for those that enjoy a room with a view..

I'm thinking HOT.

And noisy.

And expensive.

Not if insulated and clad?

Since nobody has given the cost of buying used containers here in cebu, don't know how you can say that about being 'expensive'?

$2,000 (Php100,000?) was quoted for 1 x 40' container - perhaps rather less here in Cebu?

4 x 40' containers = Php400,000 max?

40 x 40 x 2 = 3200 sq ft = 298 square meters

So the basic Frame can be built for Php1,300 per sq m max.

Will need 'extra' for stairs beams and flooring and walls between the containers, but if the containers are half this price, it could be very viable?

What the container gives you is mechanically strong rigid steel 'box' stucture, that can be stacked, and withstand load.

Since containers are made from recycled steel. it should be cheaper than building a steel framed girder building, surely?

It certainly quicker than poured steel reinforced concrete and cost of this has risen rather in last 4 years.

I saw these containers in Sulit:

Used quality Shipping Container Vans for Sale!

20' Container - PhP 73,000.00

40' Container - PhP 93,000.00

Delivery w/in M.M. - PhP 5,000.00

Forklift for unloading PhP 18,000.00

Plus 12% VAT (if you need OR)

Read more: http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/view+classifieds/id/1305015/referralKeywords/shipping+container/Used+Container+Van+for+Sale+%28Class+B%29#ixzz0cMxsyS3R

So for 4 x 40' containers, you'd be looking at about P460,000 all up.

I think your calulations are a bit off. The total area for the 4 containers works out at 119 square meters. (40' L x 8' W x 4 = 1280 sqf = 119 sqm). So that's P3865 per sqm for an empty box.

And the standard inside height of a container is less than 2.4 meters and that head height is reduced even more when you put the flooring and ceiling in