container housing

villagerNo8

i replied to the dome house sticky thread a while back regarding earthships using the seconds car tyres etc

i thought id bring another method up as a cheap housing suggestion... shipping containers as homes

there are many forms how they can be constructed..

check out the site here i like this particular design for its simplicity and spaciousness. ( i wouldve just added the pics from the site but the forum didnt want to let me for some reason :drink: )

theres a ton of different sites if you hit google with "container housing". check it out..

u would think that a shipping container in the tropics would be rediculous to use as a dwelling due to the sweltering heat.. but with insulation and some research into it, it works.. and is cheap as chips compared to other forms of housing....not to mention structural integrety...your stacking shipping containers upon one another!!! they are made for it :blush:

u can pick up a near new condition 20ft shipping container for $2000.

villagerNo8

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• villagerNo8

• Willie

• Runian

• SkyMan

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I live in here in Baghdad the US government set these up as a temporary living shelters. I like it so much that they had offered me a new place to live and I turned it down(very quiet).

That house on stilts looks to be made of wood ... I would think that the termites would eat it up in no time here in the Phils.

Posted Images

$2000 US is what I paid for a 48 footer in '96 in Atlanta. Great shelter -- except for some support framing forward and aft, rust proof aluminum. Stackable. Heavy wood plank floors. And a great wide securable door, '9 by '9 as I recall, the size of one end, that opens for air and a view. Easy to fit with electricity, overhead lighting, etc. All-in-all, not bad shelter, though I never lived in it full time.

Edited by Slick Willie
villagerNo8

im unsure how to go about buying shipping containers in the philippines, i live in australia..

im curious to know also. no doubtedly they can be bought..for sure?

u could prolly ship all ur worldly possessions from your homeland to ur block and sort out the purchase of the containers so ur house and possesions all turn up at once in a sense :blush:

the $2000 i refered to was for a 20ft shipping container in australia btw.. so philippines they would surely be cheaper if available???

im not to confident too many kanos have shipping container buying experience in philippines so maybe worth checking out at the wharfs???

villagerNo8

im unsure how to go about buying shipping containers in the philippines, i live in australia..

im curious to know also. no doubtedly they can be bought..for sure?

u could prolly ship all ur worldly possessions from your homeland to ur block and sort out the purchase of the containers so ur house and possesions all turn up at once in a sense :blush:

the $2000 i refered to was for a 20ft shipping container in australia btw.. so philippines they would surely be cheaper if available???

im not to confident too many kanos have shipping container buying experience in philippines so maybe worth checking out at the wharfs???

villagerNo8

I would guess they can be bought. Usually available if a location is importing more than they are sending out. Is this the case in Cebu?

villagerNo8

my intended spot is in the guts of mindinao, so i guess anyone interested should expect transportation costs ontop of the cost of a shipping container!

Edited by villagerNo8
villagerNo8

i was thinking of a much more classy standard of living in them.. i think u guys might have the wrong impression of how they can actually be inside.

12containerhouse.jpg

wind%20options.jpg

shipping-container-houses.jpg

cargo-container1.jpg

not just a steel box on stumps by any means....well it is..but it looks cooler then it sounds!

definately able to be lived in fulltime!!

i would buy from CDO or Davao ports rather then shipping from oz with my posessions. just threw out the idea if one was to ship a lot of posessions from ur homeland.

somthing like 95 % of the worlds goods are transported in these containers so im hoping there will be plenty sitting around

$2000 is australian price, for one in very good nick. im hoping filipinos value it less.

maladores, do u have a link to the $2000 homes?

thanks

villagerNo8

smokey

$2000 US is what I paid for a 48 footer in '96 in Atlanta. Great shelter -- except for some support framing forward and aft, rust proof aluminum. Stackable. Heavy wood plank floors. And a great wide securable door, '9 by '9 as I recall, the size of one end, that opens for air and a view. Easy to fit with electricity, overhead lighting, etc. All-in-all, not bad shelter, though I never lived in it full time.

for the old timers they had this type of housing set up in the warm country of Viet Nam.. this type of housing was used as a jail... many were carried out with heat stroke..

for the old timers they had this type of housing set up in the warm country of Viet Nam.. this type of housing was used as a jail... many were carried out with heat stroke..

Probably due to the doors being closed and no hole/fan cut in the end opposite the doors. With the cargo doors open and cross ventilation they are fine. I've been in mine many 95-100F days, and no heat stroke.

Edited by Slick Willie
DaveinBaghdad

This is what I live in here in Baghdad the US government set these up as a temporary living shelters. I like it so much that they had offered me a new place to live and I turned it down(very quiet).

The only draw back is it gets very hot very fast when the power goes off. This is basic living bed TV small fridge place to hang my clothes and some ammo boxes I got for storage. At the end I have a small bathroom with shower sink and toilet.

• Like 1

$2000 for an unfitted out container(that is in australia and is NOT regestered for international travel)cost to move it to site,cost to mount on foundations,fitout and insulate,put some kind of roof over it.,,,,did i not read a trhead about a $2000 house built there?Why would you drag a steel box all the way to central mindanao or anywhere else when you could build a complete house for the cost of the steel box alone?

Container housing is only cheap if the local product is expensive and is also very transportable in the event of disasters etc.As a alternative to housing in the Philippines i honestly dont think it is cheap or at all viable...just my honest opinion as i looked into this years ago.

cheers ,Mal

I agree on what Mal said.

Since you are only getting the walls and flat roof from a container. You can for sure build walls and a roof here in CHB for the walls, some steel and plywood for the roof the same size of a container for $2000 usd.

You will still need to do a lot of work and preparation to make it livable by western standards. Foundation, Insulation, Windows, Plumbing, Electricity and ect.

I doubt those container houses in those pictures cost $2000 usd to build.

But if you already have the containers or get the free or next to nothing. You may want to sell them to someone else, who needs a container for shipping... or if they are in very bad condition you can sell them for scrap metal. Then take the money and build a real house.

:welcome2:

Another thing I don't think we've mentioned is that most use these for storage and/or shop. They are great for an outbuilding. :welcome2:

i was thinking of a much more classy standard of living in them.. i think u guys might have the wrong impression of how they can actually be inside.

12containerhouse.jpg

wind%20options.jpg

shipping-container-houses.jpg

cargo-container1.jpg

not just a steel box on stumps by any means....well it is..but it looks cooler then it sounds!

definately able to be lived in fulltime!!

i would buy from CDO or Davao ports rather then shipping from oz with my posessions. just threw out the idea if one was to ship a lot of posessions from ur homeland.

somthing like 95 % of the worlds goods are transported in these containers so im hoping there will be plenty sitting around

$2000 is australian price, for one in very good nick. im hoping filipinos value it less.

maladores, do u have a link to the $2000 homes?

thanks

villagerNo8

Ive been trying to find it again,it was on this site but was a link to some other site.It was basically a slab floor,block wall up to about waist high then thatch with a thatch roof also.native style but quite large and cool looking.I will continue to search for it and put the link in this thread.cheers ,Mal

lazydays

It all sounds well and good,but if you add on the conversion costs of some of the examples here,i feel they would not be cheap in comparison to building a standard western style building in Phils.

IMO a modified version of this would be the ideal home in the Philippines.

post-6307-126304202893_thumb.jpg