Tourist Visa From The UK

Hey All;

I am heading to the Philippines mid February to Early March to get married :P YAY! And I just moved to the UK from Canada, even though I am a British National (born here, passport holder e.t.c) To apply for a Tourist visa in the UK I would have to go to London and do it in person or take my application to a solicitor to get notarized before I mail it to the office.... In short way to much hassle and cost.

So my question is what's the best way to get a Visa? I would be staying for 2 months. I have heard that I can get on a plane and when I land in Cebu I would need to go somewhere to get and extension on my passport? Where would that be? What do I do? What do I need document wise to do this on that end?

Thanks for your time :thumbs_up:

Regards;

Steve

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazydays

• Bilko

• Markham

• udonthani

lazydays

Hi Bilko,

You will get a 21 day visa waiver on arrival.

You will need to extend that for 38days within the 21 days,that will give you 59 days in total,you will have to leave on the 60th day,unless you extend further.

To extend from 21 days and add the extra 38 days you will need to visit the Bureau of Immigration (BOI) office,others here will give you the address.

You will need a photocopy of your passport,and a photocopy of your 21day entry stamp.

Fill up a form that they will give you at the BOI office.

Fees are P3030,best to have the correct ammount of money as they do not give change.

Edited by lazydays

Thanks for the reply, where is the closest BOI office and what would the address be please? I am going to the British Embassy in Cebu the next day to get my local certificate of not impediment so I can marry. Is there a BOI near there? kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Thanks again.

Hi Bilko,

You will need to extend that for 38days within the 21 days,that will give you 59 days in total,you will have to leave on the 60th day,unless you extend further.

To extend from 21 days and add the extra 38 days you will need to visit the Bureau of Immigration (BOI) office,others here will give you the address.

You will need a photocopy of your passport,and a photocopy of your 21day entry stamp.

Fees are P3030,best to have the correct amount of money as they do not give change.

David Spicer

Thanks for the reply, where is the closest BOI office and what would the address be please? I am going to the British Embassy in Cebu the next day to get my local certificate of not impediment so I can marry. Is there a BOI near there? kill two birds with one stone, so to speak.

Just jump in a taxi and tell them you want to to Immigration.

ancienrocka

Thanks again.

Hi Bilko,

Fees are P3030,best to have the correct amount of money as they do not give change.

Lazydays is spot on correct except that you don't need a photocopy of your passport - but of course you need the real thing!

There is only one BoI office in Cebu located at P. Burgos St, Mandaue - the British Consul is located about 20 minutes away in the Banilad area.

I have never been to the UK consul, but I have been told she will not see anyone without a prior appointment.

Regards,

Paul

udonthani

I would be staying for 2 months.

what does that mean?

think days, not months, and book your flights accordingly. 59 days, your 21 day entry stamp plus your 1st 38 day extension, means you spend 3,030 pesos on your extension. 60 or 65 days, might mean you spend more like 7,500. Forget about getting a visa, there's no reason to even think about it unless you're staying longer than 119 days, and it's probably not worth bothering with one even then.

David Spicer

I would be staying for 2 months.

what does that mean?

think days, not months, and book your flights accordingly. 59 days, your 21 day entry stamp plus your 1st 38 day extension, means you spend 3,030 pesos on your extension. 60 or 65 days, might mean you spend more like 7,500. Forget about getting a visa, there's no reason to even think about it unless you're staying longer than 119 days, and it's probably not worth bothering with one even then.

With the exception of Leap Year, arriving in February and departing 2 months from the date of arrival totals 59 days.

udonthani

With the exception of Leap Year, arriving in February and departing 2 months from the date of arrival totals 59 days.

Different months are different lengths, especially February, which only usually has only 28 days. If he arrives on the 15th February, and gets a 38-day extension, yes his time is up on the 15th of April. But February is the only month of the year where 3 out of 4 times this applies. If he were to arrive in April, then his time is up on the 13th of June. If he arrives in July, his time his up on the 12th of September. You need to count the days : 21+38+59 (=119) and and so on. Forget about months.

travel insurance companies can often sell insurance by 'months' even though months are different lengths. It's silly, because the way they do it is if you buy it on the 8th of one month, you're covered up until the 7th of the next. It's not sold in 30 day blocks. They expect you to pay the same price for a month that includes February as you pay for a month that includes July, which is usually 3 days longer.

mattwilkie

I havent had any issues on arrival to Cebu from immigration regarding visas and I think the more Philippines stamps you have in there the less likely anyone will bother you. But regarding your Visas I would organise in Cebu itself its just a lot easier than dealing with London. The office isnt far from E-Mall or SM :- http://tropicalpenpals.com/blog/?p=1737 and easy to spot with the Fire station.

IF you turn up without the correct paperwork or "photo copies" you can go out of the main gate at the offices turn left and head down around 4 - 5 houses and you will find a small office which has everything you need and pretty cheap the other important factor being they will know if you have anything missing that you do need. Although visa extension is a pretty simple process and as long as you arrive early you will be processed quickly.

There is only one BoI office in Cebu located at P. Burgos St, Mandaue - the British Consul is located about 20 minutes away in the Banilad area.

I have never been to the UK consul, but I have been told she will not see anyone without a prior appointment.

The UK Honorary Consul is located in the Villa Terrace sub-division, Cabancalan, Mandaue. From Ayala, proceed north-east on Herman Cortes and carry on until you arrive at the T Junction with Cabancalan Road; turn right and then take the first left. Villa Terrace is 100 metres on your right and the guard will direct you to the Consulate.

She (the Honorary Consul) only sees people by appointment and there is a limit to what she is legally-empowered to do, so check first that she can issue a Certificate of No Impediment. You will need to provide the Consul (either here or in Manila) with either a Decree Absolute (if divorced) or a Death Certificate (if widowed) or a "certificate of singleness" from your local office of the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages - originals only, no photocopies!

Mark

Edited by Markham
lazydays

Thanks again.

Hi Bilko,

Lazydays is spot on correct except that you don't need a photocopy of your passport - but of course you need the real thing!

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul,

No problem,but we differ,i have no experience of Cebu BOI,but in Davao City BOI you also need a photocopy of your passport.

You would think the requirements would be uniform,but hey,this is the Philippines lol.

You are correct about appointments only at the UK Consulate.

udonthani

you always need a photcopy of your passport. This isn't normally an issue at the bigger BoI's, like Cebu, as they have a photocopier on the premises, for which you will normally pay 5 to 7 pesos for the service. They need a picture of your mugshot/personal details page, and a picture of your stamp when you entered the Philippines, and also a picture of your last extension stamp. They do it all on the same piece of paper.

At some of the smaller BoI's though, like Tacloban, they don't have a photocopier on the premises, so you have to bring a photocopy of your passport, together with your passport. I'm pretty sure you need to bring both, and just a photocopy of the passport on its own would not be enough. The clerk would want to look at the actual passport as well as take a photocopy of the stamps and your details.

in Tacloban, enough people arrive with just a passport and no photocopy for a trike driver to sometimes wait outside, as there is the chance of a fare for him to take somebody that needs to go to the nearest machine, 5 minutes drive away, and back to the office.

Please read this topic carefully. It contains all the information you need in order to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment - including what you need to do in the UK prior to coming here.

Mark

lazydays

Please read this topic carefully. It contains all the information you need in order to apply for a Certificate of No Impediment - including what you need to do in the UK prior to coming here.

Mark

Good Reminder,i was wondering if he realised this,or it will take 44 days to get it all done in Phils,and he is only staying for 2months.

Bilko,

You need to phone your local Registry of Births,Marriages and Deaths Office and make an appointment,they will not see you if you just walk in.

Make your appointment to see the Superintendant Registrar or his Deputy,and tell them that you wish to file notice of your intended marriage under the "Marriage to Foreigners Act 1906".

Your District Registrar comes under your local County Council Office,so check the phone book or yellow pages.

When you go to your appointment you will need to take,

Original Birth Certificate or Certified true copy (not photocopy).

Your British Passport.

A second form of ID showing your home address (photo card driving licence or bank statement etc).

If divorced,the Decree Absolute (not the decree nisi,they are two different documents).

Your intended wifes details,full name,age,her marital status,occupation and her home address.

The locality where the marriage will take place eg,Cebu City.

Payment Fee (i don't know what it is now (guess £50) ask when you make the appointment.

The bands will be published on the Registry wall for 21 days.

You can then collect your CNI on the 22nd day and bring it with you to present to the Cebu Consulate.

Edited by lazydays

Hey Guys sorry I should be more clear when I write topics / posts :)

I have an OFFICIAL COPY of my Birth Certificate (not a photocopy)

I have a Certificate Of No Impediment (When I arrive in the Philippines it will be with-in 3 months of issue)

So my PLAN is that I am contacting the British Consulate in Villa Terrace, Mandaue City and setting an appointment for the day after I arrive in Cebu, then I will go there with my British Passport, Birth Certificate and Certificate Of No Impediment (within the 3 Months of issue) Then the consul Mrs Moya Jackson said she would issue a local Certificate Of Legal Capacity To Marry on the spot, which then I could take to the city / town where I am to be married, to the local registry office where we would register the marriage, then we wait 10 days to be issued the Marriage Permit, then finally we can organize the wedding.

I got those documents before hand because I did not want the long wait nor the hassle. So this simplifies things drastically.

I have that document in hand that was posted in the other topic, and the only grey area I have is the CNI fee..... Since I have the CNI from here in the UK I only need to pay 63 (pounds)(in peso) ONCE right?

ONE more question, what documents do I need to bring with me to extend my stay when I go to the BOI? Also does anyone have the EXACT address or website for the BOI in cebu?

Thanks ever so much for all of your help again, I am glad to be a part of this community!

Regards;

Steve (AKA: Bilko)

Mark

Good Reminder,i was wondering if he realised this,or it will take 44 days to get it all done in Phils,and he is only staying for 2months.

Bilko,

You need to phone your local Registry of Births,Marriages and Deaths Office and make an appointment,they will not see you if you just walk in.

Make your appointment to see the Superintendant Registrar or his Deputy,and tell them that you wish to file notice of your intended marriage under the "Marriage to Foreigners Act 1906".

Your District Registrar comes under your local County Council Office,so check the phone book or yellow pages.

When you go to your appointment you will need to take,

Original Birth Certificate or Certified true copy (not photocopy).

Your British Passport.

A second form of ID showing your home address (photo card driving licence or bank statement etc).

If divorced,the Decree Absolute (not the decree nisi,they are two different documents).

Your intended wifes details,full name,age,her marital status,occupation and her home address.

The locality where the marriage will take place eg,Cebu City.

Payment Fee (i don't know what it is now (guess £50) ask when you make the appointment.

The bands will be published on the Registry wall for 21 days.

You can then collect your CNI on the 22nd day and bring it with you to present to the Cebu Consulate.

Edited by Bilko