how safe do you feel

20 members have voted

1. 1. how safe do you feel here

• very safe no trouble ever
    • just safe i watch my back
    • scared to venture out at night
    • very scared ive been robbed and dont trust the locals

Lee From Cebu

Ok I have been reading of robberys, muggings and worse. I have only been here 1 month and so far I feel very safe :biggrin_01: I was took on a tour of (jonkerra)sp? by a member of the forum it was at night and we went deep into the center of the squatters area where Im sure not many white people go did I feel safe yes and no. I felt safe because of my guides knowlage of the people and the culture but I would never go there alone at any time .So far I have found the people here to be very helpful and nice. Well im sure I get taken advantage of daily because Im a kano and dont know the prices of most stuff yet. I am trying to figure out if I am in any real danger as I am pretty trusting of people and like touring smaller out of the way places (top of the mountain) How many of you have felt like your life was in danger here. do you think the city or remote places offer a greater safety factor. I am talking just about cebu island.I am very street smart and feel I can read people well. I would just like some feedback from some longtime expats on your over all feelings on safety

udonthani

I voted 'jusr safe, I watch my back', but that answer implies that I'm paranoid, which I'm not. I'm just careful, and am mindful to be particularly careful of becoming complacent. Just when you think that you have figured it all out and are totally safe is usually the most dangerous time of all.

I'm not fearful of any sort of violent crime but I reckon there's more chance of any danger from that quarter from somebody like a mental case that should be in hospital but isn't because the resources aren't there, rather than a more 'rational' act like armed robbery.

main thing to watch is road traffic accident or some other accident caused by the lackadaisacal attitude to public safety and bad design which is a feature of each of the poorer countries in south east Asia, not just the Philippines.

smokey

you worded it like your a tourist tour guide.. i feel very safe because i have protection.. some you wear and some you dont

USMC-Retired

You are as safe as you make yourself. If you are making yourself a target then you will be a target. If you blend in and kepp a low profile you are fairly safe. Again you are as safe as you make yourself.

Normally people to include myself that get robbed have done something stupid that leads to it.

Balay

I agree with USMC-Retired, If you put yourself into a bad situation it could turn out bad. Being in a squatters area at night even with a Filipino who knows everyone there could still turn out ugly.

There are alot of drugs, guns and very desperate people in that area. Someone could be whacked out on shabu or drunk or just be in a pissed off mood that day and want to take it out on a kano.

JamesMusslewhite

lee from canada user_popup.png

"So far I have found the people here to be very helpful and nice. Well im sure I get taken advantage of daily because Im a kano and dont know the prices of most stuff yet. I am trying to figure out if I am in any real danger as I am pretty trusting of people and like touring smaller out of the way places (top of the mountain) How many of you have felt like your life was in danger here. do you think the city or remote places offer a greater safety factor. I am talking just about cebu island. I am very street smart and feel I can read people well."

That is the key to being safe here, being street smart and being able to read people around you. Most victims are victims because they were morons and made stupid discussions. Most situations could have been avoided with just a little common sense.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

USMC-Retired

Not that I consider myself a Moron. But what I did was damn dumb to say the least.

Edited by USMC-Retired

Lee From Cebu

I agree with USMC-Retired, If you put yourself into a bad situation it could turn out bad. Being in a squatters area at night even with a Filipino who knows everyone there could still turn out ugly.

There are alot of drugs, guns and very desperate people in that area. Someone could be whacked out on shabu or drunk or just be in a pissed off mood that day and want to take it out on a kano.

I agree completly things could have gone bad in a heartbeat but sometimes you have to take small measured chances and it was a eye opener for me to be there and wont be going back again .however I felt the need to see that side of the tracks as I really want to understand more of the culture and I sure wont do that staying on a resort with armed gaurds. I came to the phils to learn about it and hopefully about myself as well

hey joe

I would probably sum up my thoughts on this by advising you to just use common sense at first, learn a little bit about your surroundings, and try not to put yourself in a situation or location with a relatively high potential to have unfavorable or dangerous consequences for yourself. That being said, always try to the best of your ability to treat other people from all social and economic levels with the respect that you would want to receive from others while at the same time not being a doormat to anyone.