Sign in to follow this  
DeezNuz

LOW-COST RENTERS look here...

Brucewayne

Mandaue or Guadalupe?

Anything close to the new bridge into Consolacion/Liloan would probably be acceptable as long as the neighborhood isn't too rowdy.

Headshot

Anything close to the new bridge into Consolacion/Liloan would probably be acceptable as long as the neighborhood isn't too rowdy.

So...I guess he is looking at the Royal Oaks International School - Mandaue Campus on UN Avenue.

My suggestion would be to drive around and look for "for rent" signs in the neighborhoods nearby the school in Mandaue and Consolacion. The best deals are seldom well-advertised.

Edited by Headshot

Brucewayne

I am planning on looking at some Deca homes in the area, but am not so sure I can trust the quality of a home that only costs a bit over P900,000.

If that works out, we could always rent it out to someone for around P8,000 per month when we are ready to move into the one we will be building.

Another thing that might be a problem is that we have a Jack Russel and she is strictly an outside dog and I am not sure how much room we will have inside or outside of the unit.

It is more of an apartment than a house from what I have seen in the ads, but most things never seem to look the same in the sunlight.

Headshot

I am planning on looking at some Deca homes in the area, but am not so sure I can trust the quality of a home that only costs a bit over P900,000.

If that works out, we could always rent it out to someone for around P8,000 per month when we are ready to move into the one we will be building.

Another thing that might be a problem is that we have a Jack Russel and she is strictly an outside dog and I am not sure how much room we will have inside or outside of the unit.

It is more of an apartment than a house from what I have seen in the ads, but most things never seem to look the same in the sunlight.

For 900,000 pesos, you get a bare house (no interior walls upstairs and no finishing) at DECA. If you want flooring (tile), actual rooms upstairs and decent paint on the walls, you have to add that cost to the sale price (and have it done by a contractor other than DECA). My wife and I own a DECA home in Dumlog (Talisay City) where my in-laws live. If you want to see what one looks like after a few years, let me know and I can show it to you. You can also see what a DECA development looks like after a few years.

• Like 1

tim

Was wondering if anyone had any leads for rental in the Mango area (walking distance to Robinson Mall)??? looking for 2 bedroom,

6 months / 1 year lease .... will be in Cebu in March and will start looking for something then... but if we can get a headstart, that wold help...

thanks

KID

For 900,000 pesos, you get a bare house (no interior walls upstairs and no finishing) at DECA. If you want flooring (tile), actual rooms upstairs and decent paint on the walls, you have to add that cost to the sale price (and have it done by a contractor other than DECA). My wife and I own a DECA home in Dumlog (Talisay City) where my in-laws live. If you want to see what one looks like after a few years, let me know and I can show it to you. You can also see what a DECA development looks like after a few years.

I take it you are not satisfied with the home

Brucewayne

There are homes here like that for P650,000 I think (maybe less) and they aren't selling.

Headshot

I take it you are not satisfied with the home.

The DECA home works well for my in-laws, but I wouldn't want to live in a DECA development myself. My FIL is close enough now to where he works to bicycle to and from work every day (he used to have to ride two Jeepneys each way). He has lost about 15 kilos because of the exercise he is getting and is much healthier and happier now because he isn't breathing exhaust fumes as much. He will probably live ten years longer than he would have if things hadn't changed. My MIL has plenty of neighbors that she gets along with.

The street where they live is too narrow for my tastes. There are always cars parked on it, and if there are cars on both sides, there is no room between them for anything bigger than a motorcycle to pass. So...if I had it to do over, I would have bought a unit on one of the wider streets for better accessibility. It really wasn't obvious on the development plans (or even on the ground until people started moving in and building additions or walls out to the curb) that most of the streets were going to be way too narrow.

In a DECA development, each owner can do whatever they like with their property, so how your neighborhood there looks depends largely on how your neighbors make it look. Some areas in the development are fairly nice. Others are not. It is luck of the draw what your neighborhood looks like. Owners are even allowed to paint the outside of their unit whatever color they wish, so instead of having a standardized look, there are a lot of units painted in garish colors. It kind of reminds me of the barrios in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Fishermen in the Tropics paint their homes in bright colors so they can see them from far out at sea, but those same colors in a crowded development really have no place. People bring their past with them. The barangay road accessing the development is too narrow as well, and clogged with tricycids, tricycles and pedestrians, so getting in an out with a regular vehicle can be a pain in the ass.

They use tilted slab construction to build DECA homes. That means they pour steel-reinforced walls and second floors on a flat surface, and then lift them with a crane and move them to where they go. Then they are welded in-place (using the rebar to tie them together, and the joints are cemented over. Many commercial buildings in the US are built using this method, but the slabs are much thinner here than you would find in any structure in the US. You do get cracks in the walls that have to be patched, but there hasn't been anything serious yet. I have some now that I need to patch and paint over.

We finished our unit as a two-bedroom, one-bath unit. The bedrooms are upstairs and the bath is downstairs. I put an addition in front of the unit that had a sari-sari store on the first level and a patio upstairs, but there was too much competition for the sari-sari store to survive (there are five in the immediate neighborhood). I will be putting a roof over the patio this year to make it more usable (they like to sleep out there, but any rain messes that up, plus a roof over the patio will keep the whole house cooler). The patio will remain open in the front and on the sides. We installed tile floors throughout (even on the patio upstairs) and turned the small wash area in the back into a kitchen, so the home looks really nice inside.

The best thing about owning the DECA home is that we own the land their unit is on, so nobody can ever force them to move again. That makes my in-laws feel much more secure. Before...they built their home on government land (in Calamba), and when the owners of the land behind them wanted access to apartments they wanted to build, their house was toast. It is amazing how much of Cebu City is built on land that doesn't belong to the residents. It isn't all shantytowns either. Their house was built of CHB, and looked pretty good, but in the end it wasn't ever really theirs.

That pretty much sums up my experience with DECA.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

Scruffydog

My in laws live up the same street. I have spent several weeks there. I assume you are talking about the DECA down by the beach that has the big seawall.You are right it is a narrow crowded street with lots of pedi cabs etc. I did enjoy walking in the morning up toward Croc land and Corona Del Mar.

My BIL took me over to Corona Del Mar at several of the houses he had built there.. The club house and pool is nice, not sure it is somewhere I would want to live. It kind of spoils the ambiance looking out at the garbage strewn beach from the pool.

Half Baked

Any chance there might be something around Talisay or minglinilla for rent? 3 br 2 cr gated subdivision decent 10000p -20000p/month. Looking at same old houses online. Thanks in advance. And maybe high walls and place for a car.

Dolsos

Any chance there might be something around Talisay or minglinilla for rent? 3 br 2 cr gated subdivision decent 10000p -20000p/month. Looking at same old houses online. Thanks in advance. And maybe high walls and place for a car.

I've seen ad's on cebuclassifieds for new construction around that price, if you have the dp you may be able to buy.  (if that interests you).

As far as rent I wasn't looking too hard for that, but check out cebuclassifieds.com, ayosdito.ph, sulit.com.ph.  

Your best bet may  be to go there and ask the guards at subdivisions, they'll probably know whats for rent and not everyone publicly advertises.  (May want to let wife go alone for the best prices.)

• Like 1

smokey

you guys know this thread was started by big rob our dear departed member i am glad its still here as he sure was a great guy...

• Like 8

SirMadrigal

Is there anyone on the forums now that can take the place now that the good man is gone? I would like to find some places for rent in Cebu that are not on craigslist and the like, the internet pricing is the rip.

smokey

Is there anyone on the forums now that can take the place now that the good man is gone? I would like to find some places for rent in Cebu that are not on craigslist and the like, the internet pricing is the rip.

that is because some houses are rented only to people who take care of them not all but many treat your place like its a disco / sleep over place
  • Like 1

stevewool

just like my neighbours here in England disco most nights, fighting , smashing sounds, do we complain , to right what happens , NOTHING,