• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• udonthani

• BossHog

• smokey

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is to any of you guys who are planning a trip to Mindinao just for the women here. Everyone knows that Davao has the most beautiful women in all of the Philippines, and if you are just coming h

Marawi is indeed one place in Mindanao no tourist should even consider visiting.   Most students at the Mindanao State University in Marawi are themselves terrified of leaving campus and walking int

Cebu has Sinulog. Davao City has Kadayawan.  In the last 2 weeks the southwestern part of Mindanao has experienced a lot of violence and deaths- including bombings. That however is nowhere near Davao 

Posted Images

you are aware there are loads of npa and army up the mountains?

The npa is not a concern for foreigners.

smokey

that is a blanket statement ... i think your speaking as the NPA is an anti government movement generally .. but as they have to eat and support their familyies its well know in bohol they will ask for a helping hand from foreigners to help buy rice.. most offer help so i guess the concern would be what happens if you say no

I take exception about the most beautiful women in the Philippines are in Mindanao - perhaps, except for one and she married me.

Actually the most beautiful woman in mindanao married me :)

ArieBombarie

they might not very actively target foreigners (they do depend on foreign suport partly as well) but areas that have a lot of npa have plenty of army and are less safe, with such tension around there is plenty of paranoia and adrinaline flowing

couple of years ago Sison was arrested in holland where he is a political revugee for organizing a murder in PI, there was a clear warning at the time for dutch to lay low

Edited by ArieBombarie
udonthani

I've been in Mindanao for the past five weeks. I'm having to be a bit more careful than normal at the moment because i'm in an area where there are just not all that many foreigners at all, therefore can attract attention. Usually it's just drunken slobs in the videoke bar that think you're like an exotic animal in a zoo. You also have to treat different places differently. Cagayan de Oro, well it's no different to any other Visayan city, nothing overmuch to concern oneself with. Iligan and Ozamis, not far away, have much more of an edge, even though they're smaller. You can just feel there's more crime and less rule of law. Without ever coming anywhere close to being paranoid, sometimes you just need to be more careful.

• 1 year later...
Davaoeno

Cebu has Sinulog. Davao City has Kadayawan.  In the last 2 weeks the southwestern part of Mindanao has experienced a lot of violence and deaths- including bombings. That however is nowhere near Davao 

Just 3 days ago Mayor Duterte announced that he was considering cancelling Kidayawan due to increased threats of violence.  On Friday he announced that Kidayawan would proceed, but with even more beefed up security.   Most residents support his decision.  Lets hope he is right

Edited by Davaoeno
  • Like 2
USMC-Retired

Edge Whippy come visit where I am right now...... Is there an elephant in the room, why yes me!!

Last night some "addict" as the locals called him was running around threating people everyone bars up and closes the doors.

udonthani

yes there is plenty of crime in the 'rural idylls' isn't there. A village next to the one I was in, some nut kidnapped a little kid, but only with a knife, held the kid hostage, and there was this stand off with the police. Or so the rumour mill went. I never read about it in any paper, but apparently they did resolve it and the kid was not harmed, without anyone else getting hurt either,  as far as I could make out.

Last night some "addict" as the locals called him was running around threating people everyone bars up and closes the doors.

liquido

I fly to Davao every 2 weeks staying 3-5 days at a time..absolutely love the place and find the quality of people there more respectful I have always felt safe there probably due to the great mayor they have there.......

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
ed villas

When I have finished my tour here in Iraq I plan to move to Cebu and use a base to check out other locations, Davao is on my list of places to see and from what I have heard much safer than most locations.

have you finished your tour yet? and have you decided where you will move?

Kabisay-an gid

have you finished your tour yet? and have you decided where you will move?

DaveinBaghdad hasn't posted on LinC since October 2011.

• Like 1
udonthani

I think we can be reasonably confident that Baghdad is somewhat more dangerous, than even Bislig.

Edited by udonthani
  • Like 1
udonthani

got a message just now from a girl I know who is right now in Marawi.

known her a few years. Like quite a lot of Filipinas, she moves around quite a bit. I met her in Manila where I knobbed her in about 2007. Since then she has moved around to various places. She aquired a permanent seeming foreigner boyfriend from Germany a couple of years ago and lived with him in Cebu for a while. But right now she is in Marawi, I said something to her about giving the place a wide berth, which I do even though I am around Iligan from time to time. This is what she just said yea, u not ok here in marawi. because marawi is dangerous to foreign people even though christian..just me because my
aunte husband are mzlim..mostly people here have gun..so scare

doesn't sound like having a lot of guns around makes Filipinas feel more safe now does it?