Bank Account For Foreigners

Is there ANY way or ANY bank that will let a foreigner open a bank account without being married/related to a Filipina?I tried to open one last year(BDO in Opon) but they say i need a resident card,marriage cert bla bla bla.Seems like I cant even open a joint account with my g/f.Anyone got any ideas?Also,IF I can open an account,whats the best way of sending money to that account?

I should add that I am not married yet and do not live in Cebu.The reason would be so I could deposit money from time to time and use it as "spending money" while I am there instead of charging everything to my credit cards.

Thanks

Edited by srfc1
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• srfc1

• Paul

• musicman666

• Ivantheterrible

I do believe that even us lowly foreigners can open a bank account in PI or I have not heard otherwise so I am confused with why BDO refused your money. Its a good idea that you are looking for a very large bank because you definitely DO NOT want to put money in a rural bank as now I am among the depositors of Legacy banks and tricked into believing that PDIC would honor claims in the event of a bank closure. Its a little off topic but let this message serve as a reminder, nobody care for your money more than yourself and don't trust anybody's clever sales pitch for banking or other investment ideas, it has cost me dearly!

I do believe that even us lowly foreigners can open a bank account in PI or I have not heard otherwise so I am confused with why BDO refused your money. Its a good idea that you are looking for a very large bank because you definitely DO NOT want to put money in a rural bank as now I am among the depositors of Legacy banks and tricked into believing that PDIC would honor claims in the event of a bank closure. Its a little off topic but let this message serve as a reminder, nobody care for your money more than yourself and don't trust anybody's clever sales pitch for banking or other investment ideas, it has cost me dearly!

Sorry to hear about that.Money is hard earned and some people think its easily taken.

If there is no problem I will be paying them a visit in March when im there.Not many branches in Cebu I see.I presume its a safe bank??

Thanks

Hey,

Yeah, it's a pretty safe bank. Another one is Planter's Bank. You can open a USD account with Planter's Bank for only $100.00 USD. (Even Bank of Commerce has a $500 USD minimum to open an account.)

Here is a list of the top 15 banks in the Philippines: Eric's Top 15 Banks of the Philippines, as a PDF.

I was able to open bank accounts (peso and dollar) in the local Chinabank, BDO and Metrobank's here in Cebu. If I remember correctly they only require the minimum deposit amount, Passport w/valid visa, and a document showing proof of residence (like a utility bill in your name).

The best way to send money to your account is by wire transfer (TT). For instance, my HSBC Premier account I opened in US allows me to do wire transfers directly online to any of my Philippine accounts. Also the same with my UOB account in Singapore.

Unless you are a patient guy, I wouldn't recommending just depositing any money to your dollar account...it take practically a month before the funds become available.

If you need help with opening an account, let me know. I'll have one of my bookeepers guide you in the process since all the bank managers are familiar with her.

Edited by BigRob

I was able to open bank accounts (peso and dollar) in the local Chinabank, BDO and Metrobank's here in Cebu. If I remember correctly they only require the minimum deposit amount, Passport w/valid visa, and a document showing proof of residence (like a utility bill in your name).

The best way to send money to your account is by wire transfer (TT). For instance, my HSBC Premier account I opened in US allows me to do wire transfers directly online to any of my Philippine accounts. Also the same with my UOB account in Singapore.

Unless you are a patient guy, I wouldn't recommending just depositing any money to your dollar account...it take practically a month before the funds become available.

If you need help with opening an account, let me know. I'll have one of my bookeepers guide you in the process since all the bank managers are familiar with her.

Problem there!!Like I said,im not married yet.So,how do I get any utility bills in my own name if im not a resident?So,if I dont have any "proof" of residence,how do I open an account?Need to be a resident to get a utility bill in my own name.Cactch 22.

Appreciate your help and advice.

David_LivinginTalisay

Is there ANY way or ANY bank that will let a foreigner open a bank account without being married/related to a Filipina?I tried to open one last year(BDO in Opon) but they say i need a resident card,marriage cert bla bla bla.Seems like I cant even open a joint account with my g/f.Anyone got any ideas?Also,IF I can open an account,whats the best way of sending money to that account?

I should add that I am not married yet and do not live in Cebu.The reason would be so I could deposit money from time to time and use it as "spending money" while I am there instead of charging everything to my credit cards.

Thanks

There is no rule that says Foreigners have to be Resident, holders of ACR I-Card, to open a Bank Account. Many will let you open a Foreign Currency Account, but more restrictive on Peso Account, especially 'Checking'.

Each Bank seems to apply different Rules, and it varies by Branch also.

BDO is an example of this, as you say BDO in Open would not let you open an account. BDO in SM, Cebu, also would not without an ACR I-Card, yet a British guy managed to open an account in BDO, Bacolod, without an ACR I-Card.

Although Bank of Commerce was mentioned, it may well only be due to the efforts of Bank Officer, Mayen Digal @ Fuente Osmenia Branch in Cebu. Mayen says it is becuse she is prepared to do additional checks to allow Foreigners to open such accounts but says they would not be allowed (initially at least) to open a Peso Checking Account.

I know many Foreigners who opened accounts in that Branch of Bank of Commerce, due to the efforts of Mayen Digal. It may well not be possible at other Branches of this same Bank.

Problem there!!Like I said,im not married yet.So,how do I get any utility bills in my own name if im not a resident?So,if I dont have any "proof" of residence,how do I open an account?Need to be a resident to get a utility bill in my own name.Cactch 22.

Appreciate your help and advice.

You do not need to be married to open an account.

Yeah...I missed the resident part. Most banks accept other forms of identification but each bank is different. It's part of their security protocol for anti-money laundering concerns.

You do not need to be married to open an account.

Yeah...I missed the resident part. Most banks accept other forms of identification but each bank is different. It's part of their security protocol for anti-money laundering concerns.

I dont have to worry about money-laundering!!!Im not wealthy enough to worry about that!rofl.gif

Balintawak

I dont have to worry about money-laundering!!!Im not wealthy enough to worry about that!rofl.gif

:P

I have a bank account , atm card and credit card. Just brought my passport. Did not show any proof of residency.

thats-funny.gif

I have a bank account , atm card and credit card. Just brought my passport. Did not show any proof of residency.

Tingali Filipino man ka?Kon dili tingali imong relayson Filipino?Langyaw ko.Dili residente sab ko,Ug tingali malisod para nako ug abli'g bank account didto?Kon imong passprt gikan sa Pilipinas,wala problema para nimo.Para mga langyaw nga dili residents,murag lisod kaayo.Tingali mosulay ko sa Bank of Commerce inig abot nako didto sa Cebu sunod Marso.

Thank you for you reply.

There is no rule that says Foreigners have to be Resident, holders of ACR I-Card, to open a Bank Account. Many will let you open a Foreign Currency Account, but more restrictive on Peso Account, especially 'Checking'.

Each Bank seems to apply different Rules, and it varies by Branch also.

BDO is an example of this, as you say BDO in Open would not let you open an account. BDO in SM, Cebu, also would not without an ACR I-Card, yet a British guy managed to open an account in BDO, Bacolod, without an ACR I-Card.

Although Bank of Commerce was mentioned, it may well only be due to the efforts of Bank Officer, Mayen Digal @ Fuente Osmenia Branch in Cebu. Mayen says it is becuse she is prepared to do additional checks to allow Foreigners to open such accounts but says they would not be allowed (initially at least) to open a Peso Checking Account.

I know many Foreigners who opened accounts in that Branch of Bank of Commerce, due to the efforts of Mayen Digal. It may well not be possible at other Branches of this same Bank.

The more I hear,the more I get confused.Seems like different rules for different banks,let alone branches!Maybe thats just BDO....Maybe different banks have different rules........

The more I hear,the more I get confused.Seems like different rules for different banks,let alone branches!Maybe thats just BDO....Maybe different banks have different rules........

No. It's not what you know, it's who you know. :P

I know other banks where you can have accounts opened as well, if you need to.