Securing Items in your Apartment

I've always been a Stolichnaya and Iichko kinda of guy.

Hehehe...Although, I'll keep that in mind dude. You know that's some pretty dangerous liquor.

Jack_Daniels_With_Sister-488x321.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Cipro

• RogerDuMond

• Angie

• Athena

RogerDuMond

Marry a girl from the provence then build your home in her town. That way half the people there are related to you and you always have some one around who knows you.

The Mason

Aside from what has already been mentioned, I try to keep things out of line of sight of the windows. A common practice here is for thieves to use a pole with a sticky substance at the end of it. They break your windows, put the stick between the bars and go fishing for anything they can see. Its very easy to lose cell phones, cameras, and other small items this way.

I don't have a safe in my house. When I need to temporarily have large amounts of cash or valuables in the house I usually hide divide them up then hide them. I try to find someplace invisible. Without giving away all my secret locations here's some ideas ...

With the Christmas decorations, behind a clock, behind a "Last Supper" painting (print), inside an apron pocket, in the refrigerator or freezer, hidden in a frozen food carton. If you have a maid and/or yaya, it has to be in a place where they will not stumble upon it. An envelope containing your phone bill or electric bill records, a filing cabinet. Basically I hide them in places that have no value in themselves and that would take a thief possibly hours to find if they were searching everything. Here in the States, we have a lot more "clutter" than most have in the Philippines so my method works good here. I know once we arrive in Cebu we will have less, but I'm sure there will be places that will be "the last place they would look". Hide it there. You can also find "secret" hiding places in the house itself, such as above ceiling tiles or under floorboards.

I hope this helps,

Rex

I've spent some time visiting the squatter areas and I can't imagine, honestly.

Being nice to the locals there and making friends with them won't hurt you. You don't have to drink with them but if you need to give them few bottles of Tanduay, then do it. If you've established that friendship with them, they would never think of doing you any harm. That's what we call "pakikisama."

BTW, CV, I couldn't read your message, just send it to my email, thank you.

smokey

the being a nice guy sometimes has its down side... my wife is still pitching a fit we gave out over 150 bundles of joy and even today people are showing up saying where is my gift you gave my neighbor a gift i want mine now..

the being a nice guy sometimes has its down side... my wife is still pitching a fit we gave out over 150 bundles of joy and even today people are showing up saying where is my gift you gave my neighbor a gift i want mine now..

I think you have to do this farther away from your place, Robert. Have them register and give them sort of a ticket. Those who failed to register and didn't have that ticket wouldn't get their gift and tell them the next distribution is in the next December :thumbs_up::wink::lol:

RogerDuMond

Rex

You are married to a Filipina and have clutter? If mail or anything in my house lays around for more than 15 minutes, it gets thrown away. She doesn't look to see what it is. She just tosses it.

When u buy a safe make sure no one sees you carrying this thing in the house.

hehehe, I was thinking of that too, someone carrying in a huge safe to your house would be a sure way to get people curious. shocked.gif

ha ha haaaaa......... i know the feeling.........

on the last week of our PI visit, i usually gives bundles of joy supposedly for the children only......but always it turns out - adults shoving and pushing children on the line to get their bundles too......... whats heart rending, was children, ringing our bell, as they dont received anything...... when all the bundles are gone.......

cebubird

how about just living in a better area? Or a condo say on the 5th floor the only way in is the door so its much easier to secure the door... we have 3 stray dogs and have seen many times the locals especially the poor locals will not even come down our street for fear of the dogs.. its not the size of the dog that scares them or the bite of the dog but the not knowing if the dog has rabies shots or not..

All of this sounds really good and logical, but I wonder how I will get houseful of appliances delivered to my house in the middle of the night

• Admin (Retired)
broden

All of this sounds really good and logical, but I wonder how I will get houseful of appliances delivered to my house in the middle of the night

tunnel .. if you need help talk to some of the guys from hogans heroes they were real good at it .. actually i think most all of them are dead .. but i know Robert Clary is still around cause i was just recently corresponding with him .. he played Corporal Louis LeBeau

by the way there was alot of talk about safes.. if you want a small safe for cash and such .. and are building, i wouldn't just bolt it down .. i'd bolt it down and cement it in

• 4 weeks later...

My wife who is filipino has always said unless someone stays in the unit you will be robbed. We only live in the Cebu part time though and don't want some maid, security guard etc always at our house so we think we can beat this rule by living in a high rise condo with security where my brother in law stays there some of the time.

I don't live in a subdivision but we build a really big wall in front of the house, some smaller walls in the back with pickets, bars in front of the windows, real iron gate you can't climb over and always somebody at home. My house has an old part and a new part, the new part with aircon and the works, only occupied when we are in the RP, part of my wifes family lives in the old part and takes care of the house, really neat arrangement and makes verybody happy and it is safe. Oh yes, some real nasty fighting cats who seem to double every time we come here. :biggrin_01:

musicman666

where i live in a subdivision ..which has been like 10 years there hasnt been one case of theft ..probably because in order to do so would involve doing it in sight of all the neighbours..if you were a theif there would be much easier pickings elsewhere.