Sign in to follow this  
Cipro

Securing Items in your Apartment

Cipro

I'm working on establishing a permanent residence in the PI, one slow step at a time. The recent thread about an expat being robbed of $6800 and a bunch of camera gear really hit home with me. I don't have a lot of expensive things but if I establish residence there I'll probably have a nice computer system, a couple cameras, some decent scuba gear and so on. One of my cameras is worth over $3000 without lens on the used market, so while the NUMBER of things I have is not high there are a few gold nuggets in the pile.

So should I just leave stuff like that home, or get a small strongbox, or what? Is living in a fenced and secured neighborhood enough to prevent a lot of such foolishness?

Or did this fellow basically set himself up by foolishly having $6800 in cash in his house and that's basically what caused the problem?

Athena

The best defense is never leave your home unattended!

My family in cebu, is very strict on this inspite of having 2x dogs, that barks at the slight noise or attack anyone that doesn't live in the house

Edited by Elinel

ayala
I'm working on establishing a permanent residence in the PI, one slow step at a time. The recent thread about an expat being robbed of $6800 and a bunch of camera gear really hit home with me. I don't have a lot of expensive things but if I establish residence there I'll probably have a nice computer system, a couple cameras, some decent scuba gear and so on. One of my cameras is worth over $3000 without lens on the used market, so while the NUMBER of things I have is not high there are a few gold nuggets in the pile.

A pretty sound honest understanding from many who have lived in the Philippines several years is-What you bring to the phil. or acquire in the philippines,when you leave don't rely on leaving with any of it.If you do you are one of the lucky ones.

So should I just leave stuff like that home, or get a small strongbox, or what? Is living in a fenced and secured neighborhood enough to prevent a lot of such foolishness?

NO!A gun to your head would be the combination to the strongbox.

Or did this fellow basically set himself up by foolishly having $6800 in cash in his house and that's basically what caused the problem?

*Who knows what this guys reasons were for having all that cash at home,the obvious is-bad choice for anyone,at anytime.I would'nt even keep money in a philippine bank but draw from a stateside bank at ATM's.

One of the only ways to catch a thief here is when you are robbed,forget about reporting to the pathethic police here and say nothing to anyone that you were robbed,the thief will return and this is your only chance of catching him or her.They think foreigners have an abundance to giveaway and are stupid(usually correct),the thief almost always returns.

Edited by Admin
fixed quotes - Paul

USMC-Retired

How about just being smart. Smart people first do not let people know there is alot of money for them to rob. Also they are non flashy so people are thinking you are rich. These were young guys it happen to and they were flashy about themselves. Also do not piss your neighbors off would be right at the top of the list.

I have bared windows on the first floor and a locked gate. Second for has locked windows with bars.

However just be smart. That is the best solution.

pablo

just choose the place where you want to stay. a descent one

fanboat

This guy drives a really nice motor cycle and lives amonst the squaters...he looks rich...the hood was watching him...he put his stuff in a small lock box...you on the other hand can buy a big safe here and than the bandits can't lift it out of the house?

another security measure would be to install cameras to take pics of the perp,than show the film to the local barangy captain?

our condo is in a guard gated area,cost 250 peso a month for the service...even so the bad guys try to break in to the units?

Cipro

How about just being smart. Smart people first do not let people know there is alot of money for them to rob. Also they are non flashy so people are thinking you are rich. These were young guys it happen to and they were flashy about themselves. Also do not piss your neighbors off would be right at the top of the list.

I have bared windows on the first floor and a locked gate. Second for has locked windows with bars.

However just be smart. That is the best solution.

That's always rule #1, as my Dad says, "They can't want what they don't know about" - he taught me to avoid things like leaving the garage door open for extended periods of time and leaving valuable things in sight. I'm not a flashy person by nature, I'm an engineer and I like to be quiet and peaceful. But then I'm a 40+ white guy - to some people in PI maybe that automatically means rich. I'm not worried about a strongbox keeping things safe when I'm there, more about making it harder for a casual thief to carry when I'm in the market.

lazydays

Maybe a small strong box, hidden where no one, only you, knows where it is.

Hide it in the least obvious place,where it is unlikely to be discovered.

If only you know of its existence,then it should be ok.

Paul

I would advise living in an area where you will have a fence around your home or apartment.

I would advise filling that fenced area with support. A rottweiler comes to mind.

I would advise having safe, preferably one that can be bolted / secured to the wall and floor in your home.

I would advise having all exterior doors solid wood with at least 1" deadbolts, minimum, to secure them.

I would advise having bars on the windows to prevent anyone from coming inside the house.

The guy in Erik's (fanboat) story was basically asking for trouble. Someone knew that he had that cash there. He was irresponsible enough to live in a squatter area and have that kind of cash in the house, rather than to put it in a USD Savings Account? I don't care how much it was. If I couldn't secure it well enough at home, it would be on my person or in a bank. Period.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to paint the Philippines as an unsafe slum. That isn't true. I would have this very same set up in the US, or anywhere else I lived.

toshi

Now buying a big TV and let the box outside of the house, or carrying this tv in your house in daylight so everyone can see it,

Not good.

When u buy a safe make sure no one sees you carrying this thing in the house.

lock everything, even doors inside the house

gate 's around the window

barb wire

dogs

just make it any potential robbers as hard as possible, if they want to get in, they will, but if it just some passerby robber, he could be eazy deterd with litle precautions.

in your house have a few fake wallets, some cash, old passport and or credit cards laying around

have your valuables laying around in different places, also a idea could be high up in a closed behind laundry, in a old box etx etx

Usually They will look in easy places first, most Filipino are not that big so they will do the high places last.

a burglar could be having some nerves so he wants to get the job done fast. (COULD BE)

then make somewhere in your house from hollow block and concrete and steel wire a safe area what you can lock and you have the only key

make a double ceiling or just lift up the ceiling to hide some stuf, but be aware, rats eat money to!!

and have these lights around the house what pop on automatically when you come in sight..big bright ones!!

i have strategically placed some baseball bets as well, in case i am home...

Cipro
The guy in Erik's (fanboat) story was basically asking for trouble. Someone knew that he had that cash there. He was irresponsible enough to live in a squatter area and have that kind of cash in the house, rather than to put it in a USD Savings Account? I don't care how much it was. If I couldn't secure it well enough at home, it would be on my person or in a bank. Period.

Yes I wasn't aware of the particulars of the case until now, I've spent some time visiting the squatter areas and I can't imagine, honestly. I'm hoping that I could have a few nice things in the house and it would be fairly safe as long as I'm reasonable about it and maybe took the precaution of a strongbox bolted to the floor for the small expensive stuff.

smokey

Now buying a big TV and let the box outside of the house, or carrying this tv in your house in daylight so everyone can see it,

Not good.

When u buy a safe make sure no one sees you carrying this thing in the house.

lock everything, even doors inside the house

gate 's around the window

barb wire

dogs

just make it any potential robbers as hard as possible, if they want to get in, they will, but if it just some passerby robber, he could be eazy deterd with litle precautions.

in your house have a few fake wallets, some cash, old passport and or credit cards laying around

have your valuables laying around in different places, also a idea could be high up in a closed behind laundry, in a old box etx etx

Usually They will look in easy places first, most Filipino are not that big so they will do the high places last.

a burglar could be having some nerves so he wants to get the job done fast. (COULD BE)

then make somewhere in your house from hollow block and concrete and steel wire a safe area what you can lock and you have the only key

make a double ceiling or just lift up the ceiling to hide some stuf, but be aware, rats eat money to!!

and have these lights around the house what pop on automatically when you come in sight..big bright ones!!

i have strategically placed some baseball bets as well, in case i am home...

how about just living in a better area? Or a condo say on the 5th floor the only way in is the door so its much easier to secure the door... we have 3 stray dogs and have seen many times the locals especially the poor locals will not even come down our street for fear of the dogs.. its not the size of the dog that scares them or the bite of the dog but the not knowing if the dog has rabies shots or not..

Balay

You can have bars on the windows, walls with barb wire, strong boxes and safes, attack dogs... you name it. But that will NOT stop them.

In my opinion the only way is to ALWASYS have someone there. I use a live in maid and guard. If one leaves... there is ALWASYS someone there.

But of course you really need to trust your guard and maid.

DeezNuz

Hey locktite, you said apartment...those type places usually aren't that secure unless you stay in a condo. That's why I opted for a small village/subdivision. I also tip the security guards here a little every now and then to watch the place. As soon as I give notice about any particular person or vehicle, they refuse entry and notify both me and my bodyguard immediately.

Then as everyone else is recommending, you should keep someone at your place. For instance, I always have my maid here if I go out for a period of time. If I am going to be out of town any more than a day, I will usually have one of my relatives or employees stay here, they always enjoy the free food , movies and Playstation.

I also have a safe to keep things like my laptop, camera's, small amounts of cash and other valuables locked up in. Then this is just to protect them from the maid should she get pissed at me one day and decide to get sticky fingers.

As added protection (more like peace of mind), any of my maids I employ through one of my companies. I don't even interview them unless they have 3/pcs ID, barangay clearance, and a CV illustrating their past employers and 3 references. Then finally I have CIBI do a background and NBI check on the information placed in the CV.

It's still beyond my understanding why some people keep so much cash at hand. Were they planning on purchasing something with it? Should you need to buy anything with such a large denomination of monies, I would think they would be more inclined to take a check or cashier's check in lieu of the cash.

Paul
If I am going to be out of town any more than a day, I will usually have one of my relatives or employees stay here, they always enjoy the free food , movies and Playstation.

Do you have whisky in the house? If so, I will be happy to watch your house for you, absolutely free, Rob. :cool_01: