Government Gone Wrong

My fiancee got her passport a couple months ago and did not have to attend the CFO course. It was my belief that you had to bring your actual approved visa to the CFO so they could stamp it before you could leave the country.

Maybe I'm wrong about that?

Pete of New Hampshire

If she wants to change her name in the passport to yours after the wedding she will have to do the course. Yes, the visa has to be stamped before they can leave the country.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• aka

• tom_shor

• Bob Ward

• lazydays

Top Posters In This Topic

Dili Oi!!

Although it is incorrectly stated on their website.

It's not listed in the requirements to get a passport!

http://www.dfa.gov.ph/consular/passport-eng.htm

But most of all, the CFO Seminar is the very last requirement before you can leave the country. You already have to have an approved K-1 or Spousal visa in order to attend the course. So you have to have a passport already before you take the Seminar.

So it just ain't so!

It was a few months ago Bob. The DFA wouldn't let us in the door without a CFO for Marias passport renewal

Edited by aka

Perhaps you guys should read the application form for a machine readable passport. Under additional requirements it says...

For Spouse of Foreign National:

Original and photocopy of Commission of Filipinos Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance

http://dfa.gov.ph/consular/cforms/Application%20Form.pdf

Might be different in Cebu, but at the Cagayan De Oro branch of DFA it certainly IS a requirement

Edited by aka

My wife didn't have to go through that. :thumbs_down: You don't have to go through that BS if you are traveling out of the country on a tourist visa.

Perhaps you guys should read the application form for a machine readable passport. Under additional requirements it says...

Original and photocopy of Commission of Filipinos Overseas (CFO) Guidance and Counseling Certificate of Attendance

Might be different in Cebu, but at the Cagayan De Oro branch of DFA it certainly IS a requirement

To get a passport, she needs the CFO seminar for a fiancee visa too. (even in Cebu)

Bob Ward

Sorry mate, missed that as I'm not married at the moment. Cheers!

My wife didn't need to take the cfo seminar when she got her passport for tourist purposes. She did however, when she came to the states on her k1 visa. I believe the seminar is for all filipinos who are going to live abroad permanently (to any country) and applies to families as well- not just fiancees and spouses.

Imo, the 'rough' treatment at the cfo seminar is nothing compared to the US visa interviews. The manila visa interview on the other hand, is more often an interrogation rather than and interview. The hard stance attitude is a deliberate tactic aimed at exposing fraud and continues throughout all the subsequent interviews here in the states. Good luck trying to get US immigration to lighten up on that- let alone sympathize with demoralized cfo attendees.

My wife also had to attend that seminar when she renewed her passport in my name. She got so frikkin mad at the nuns when they started into the 'its ok, you can tell me, he is really a bad man isn't he? Does he hit you?'

She was so mad that she refused to speak bisaya to them anymore, made them speak English to her, she was out of there in 5 minutes after that...

I agree, that seminar is a good thing in concept that has gone horribly wrong.