Tourists on extended stay urged to get I-card

mattwilkie

I agree with Markham I can only see it in a positive light as its likely that less visits will be required to BoI which would make life easier for people who are put off by the renewal process and go to other countries instead. The only issue I might have is if they start requiring more information e.g. a means test and proof of funds etc. As that could make life difficult as I like to keep my own affairs simply that. There are enough problems in the Philippines to avoid without disclosing financial information. Especially when this process is likely to tie people down to a home and business. Not that I have anything to hide I just dont like things being so available to view.

Im going permanent resident this year so will see how it goes. Also the speed of it filtering down to process at BoI offices will no doubt take a month or two as there will probably need to be some changes. E.g. reduced amount of 60 day visas and increase on the new type. So training will have to come first. Either way if it reduces the bad expats from the islands like the sex offenders it can only go to improve the status of expats which is what we need. Also a more controlled community will also hopefully open up some new other opportunities and maybe even property ownership in the near future who knows.

Edited by Markham
Corrected the Bureau's abbreviation - it's not BIR!
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• lazydays

• Markham

• ancienrocka

• Mailman

If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear!

That all depends on how far they take it. The more one world government things get, the next thing you know you wouldnt be allowed in the country if you had a bench warrant for your arrest because you didnt pay a speeding ticket, or you owed the IRS money and they were garnishing wages. What is undesirable anyway? Is it only because you're on the run for some dastardly deed like rape or murder? Or is it every little law on the books down to the town you live in, like traffic violations that got more serious because you didnt pay. For example, get enough parking tickets in NYC and dont pay it and it starts to turn into a serious legal issue. Is that enough to make you an undesirable? There used to be an idea of "starting over", where a person could move and have another chance at life, and in a small way these types of changes have a way of reducing that freedom.

To be clear, I'm all for not allowing guys to move from place to place killing, raping, thieving their way through life. Yet at the same time I think people should be allowed to start a "clean slate" and have another chance at life.

I've gone through the whole perm-residence road here and know what they go through, and its a pain in the butt! Hopefully the process for getting the i-card isnt the same as going through perm-residence.

I agree with Markham I can only see it in a positive light as its likely that less visits will be required to BoI which would make life easier for people

I dont see that the new icard will reduce trips to the BoI. You'll still need a way to pay the visa fees every 59 days. It would be nice if you could pay online with a credit card and it updated your status online, with a receipt given that you could print to prove you've paid (like how you get a receipt at the BoI when you pay your fees there).

Edited by Doc Smith
David Spicer

If I read that correctly, if you will extend past the free 21 day visit, you are required to get the i-card. The article doesnt mention a initial time like after being here for 3 months or whatever, so even someone who will stay for only a month will need an i-card. Wow! That will really make things busy at the BoI!

It also doesnt say anything about how that impacts renewing visas, so I'm guessing if you dont have a 13a or something like that, you would still need to visit BoI to pay for 59 day extensions too.

I wonder how that impacts somebody on a BB stamp in their passport?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me unless you're staying a good length of time. You may get the ACR-I in Manila in 48 hours, but it currently takes 2 months for Cebu.

smokey

Do you know how long you have to be there before you need an ACR card for example if I go there for 3 months do I need to apply when I extend my visa after 59 days just for the extra month?

I hate this modern world you pay to enter a country and you pay to stay in a country and you pay to leave a country no one pays you to visit them unless you are some kind of entertainer. My exwife freaked out when they charged her to use the toilets in Paris if you know Brisbane all the public toilets are free to use.

i heard and this is only heard you could stay up to one year or 18 months before you have to apply and get an ACR ... i got mine a few years ago and think i spent like 35,000p for all the different requirements.. maybe they are cheaper now..

That all depends on how far they take it. The more one world government things get, the next thing you know you wouldnt be allowed in the country if you had a bench warrant for your arrest because you didnt pay a speeding ticket, or you owed the IRS money and they were garnishing wages. What is undesirable anyway? Is it only because you're on the run for some dastardly deed like rape or murder? Or is it every little law on the books down to the town you live in, like traffic violations that got more serious because you didnt pay. For example, get enough parking tickets in NYC and dont pay it and it starts to turn into a serious legal issue. Is that enough to make you an undesirable? There used to be an idea of "starting over", where a person could move and have another chance at life, and in a small way these types of changes have a way of reducing that freedom.

To be clear, I'm all for not allowing guys to move from place to place killing, raping, thieving their way through life. Yet at the same time I think people should be allowed to start a "clean slate" and have another chance at life.

I've gone through the whole perm-residence road here and know what they go through, and its a pain in the butt! Hopefully the process for getting the i-card isnt the same as going through perm-residence.

I dont see that the new icard will reduce trips to the BoI. You'll still need a way to pay the visa fees every 59 days. It would be nice if you could pay online with a credit card and it updated your status online, with a receipt given that you could print to prove you've paid (like how you get a receipt at the BoI when you pay your fees there).

if you have a acr why would you need to go to BI ACR is a type of green card..

lazydays

Just tried to find some more info on this and this is what i found out so far.

BOI site,of course the last update relating to I card is May 07,so not much help there.

I did notice though on the advantages listed (5) it states "online payment of immigration fees",that would be a great advantage for many,eliminating BOI visits.

Somebody i know who recently made a trip out of Manila told me,

"normaly when you depart from Manila the airport tax is P750,however leaving using an I card cost me P2900!".

Initially the card costs @P2400 and is valid for 1yr,you still have to renew your extensions every 59 days.

From the limited info i have so far,it appears that if you want to stay say 4 months or longer on a tourist visa,it will cost you more than before.

If you have stayed longer than 6 months,the cost is slightly reduced,as i am led to believe you will no longer have to visit BOI to acquire permission to leave,and pay the costs for that.

Conclusion so far,this is a way of increasing revenue for the gov't from long term tourists,and having more info about you stored on file.

Don't take this as read,as some of it is hearsay.

lazydays

i heard and this is only heard you could stay up to one year or 18 months before you have to apply and get an ACR ... i got mine a few years ago and think i spent like 35,000p for all the different requirements.. maybe they are cheaper now..

if you have a acr why would you need to go to BI ACR is a type of green card..

ACR is basically just an ID card.

The Mason

Just tried to find some more info on this and this is what i found out so far.

Somebody i know who recently made a trip out of Manila told me,

"normaly when you depart from Manila the airport tax is P750,however leaving using an I card cost me P2900!".

The extra fees were likely because he needed an exit clearance. If you are here over a certain length of time there are additional BI fees when you leave. You still have to pay them even if you have the ACR card. Without the card you need to go to BI and pay the fees and get a paper exit clearance. With the card you don't need the paperwork but you still have to pay the fees. The 2900 amount sounds about right for exit clearance fees, but its been a while since I had to pay them.

smokey

ACR is basically just an ID card.

well if your going to stay for a while get one and you can skip the semi monthly BI trip

lazydays

The extra fees were likely because he needed an exit clearance. If you are here over a certain length of time there are additional BI fees when you leave. You still have to pay them even if you have the ACR card. Without the card you need to go to BI and pay the fees and get a paper exit clearance. With the card you don't need the paperwork but you still have to pay the fees. The 2900 amount sounds about right for exit clearance fees, but its been a while since I had to pay them.

Yes you are correct,the P2900 included the exit fee,and saved the trip to BOI Office.

Well I got my exit clearance this afternoon and the cost was P500.

lazydays

Im inclined to compare this ACR I with the ID cards many countries already have,and which the UK is trying to introduce.

Info on these cards is held on database's accessable by Interpol and similar international agencies.

It is,as they say, for security and anti terrorism reasons which of course would include wanted criminals.

In addition to this, many new passports include a microchip,my new one does.

We will be traceable anywhere in the world.

Big Brother has arrived as-if.gif

A_Simple_Man

That is exactly what mine was last April (2009). I had stayed as a tourist for a week shy of one year and it cost 500 plus three photos and two thumb prints. Glad to see it is still the same.

Yep the same, been here for 11 months.

That is exactly what mine was last April (2009). I had stayed as a tourist for a week shy of one year and it cost 500 plus three photos and two thumb prints. Glad to see it is still the same.

lazydays

Well that is interesting. Certain banks will, if you have an ACR-I Card, allow you to make Peso deposits, HSBC being one such bank. As far as that bank is concerned, the ACR-I card is proof of residency here and, as far as I know, holding one will also permit one to apply for a local credit card. So it's all good!

However, I have just had a message from the Ancient One, who happens to be at BoI Mandaue, and it would appear that they won't be issuing (extended) tourists with ACR-I cards any time soon.

BoI (Manila) has been issuing these cards to tourists who apply there for around a year and, since there are obvious advantages in holding one (like full-service banking and no need for Exit Clearances to be applied for at a BoI office prior to departure), I enquired at BoI here at the time. I was told, "yes sir, you can have one but you must apply in Manila". Now, if tourists must hold ACR-I cards and they can't get them here, what will happen when those tourists come to leave the country and fly out from Manila? Will they be denied exit until they have obtained said card? Or will they be "fined" by the airport Immigration Officer?

Mark

I would think by the time they roll this out,regional offices would be able to issue the cards.

Your experience is interesting, the BOI site lists regional offices, that supposedly, can already deal with issuing these cards.shocked.gif

lazydays

MMMM thats interesting,coz it appears the guy was charged P1650 more than usual,i will have to re check it with him.