Sign in to follow this  
DeezNuz

Monthly Fishing Trip

Hal357

Would this be deep sea fishing out of site from land? Are just off the coast?

Jeepney

Would this be deep sea fishing out of site from land? Are just off the coast?

Mate this is a old outdated topic, and the creator of this has sadly passed away.

But it was deep sea fishing, from a boat as you can see.

I will go and see Rainer from TCE tackels the coming week, and see if we can organise something here,

coz fishing is great fun, and I have seen in the past months there is quite a bit interest under the members.

I get back to this subject under a new topic.

miss you big guy!

• Like 1

lakan

Is the fishing club excursion still up and running?

Lakan

Tony67

I'll be in Cebu for the next 10 months and brought some fishing gear with me. Anybody out there know a place to go or even a charter business?

Brucewayne

Mate this is a old outdated topic, and the creator of this has sadly passed away.

But it was deep sea fishing, from a boat as you can see.

I will go and see Rainer from TCE tackels the coming week, and see if we can organise something here,

coz fishing is great fun, and I have seen in the past months there is quite a bit interest under the members.

I get back to this subject under a new topic.

miss you big guy!

I'd like some shark and marlin steaks if anyone can get them fresh.

The marlin in the stores is usually at room temperature too long to be any good and it is rare that I can find it fresh.

Headshot

I'd like some shark and marlin steaks if anyone can get them fresh.

The marlin in the stores is usually at room temperature too long to be any good and it is rare that I can find it fresh.

Your best bet is to fly over to Siargao and catch your own marlin if you want fresh marlin. It's too bad you can't get fish flash frozen here in the Philippines like you can when you go fishing in Alaska. Without flash freezing, you will have a difficult time getting the meat back to Cebu in any better condition than the supermarkets get it. You are right about the marlin you find in the supermarkets and regular markets here. Personally, I don't like the taste of shark meat, and most sharks are just killed for their fins, which I find appalling. I think the ocean needs to have top predators around, so we need to leave the sharks alone...but then that's just me.

• Like 1

Brucewayne

Your best bet is to fly over to Siargao and catch your own marlin if you want fresh marlin. It's too bad you can't get fish flash frozen here in the Philippines like you can when you go fishing in Alaska. Without flash freezing, you will have a difficult time getting the meat back to Cebu in any better condition than the supermarkets get it. You are right about the marlin you find in the supermarkets and regular markets here. Personally, I don't like the taste of shark meat, and most sharks are just killed for their fins, which I find appalling. I think the ocean needs to have top predators around, so we need to leave the sharks alone...but then that's just me.

Even if I could just find some dry ice, it would worth the trip to Siargo.

Thanks, I'll figure something out I hope.

Mandingo

Even if I could just find some dry ice, it would worth the trip to Siargo.

Thanks, I'll figure something out I hope.

If you can't find a blast freezer to flash freeze it another thing if you want to freeze the fish is to cut it into smaller pieces and and then freeze in a refrigerators freezer, smaller pieces would allow a faster freeze time. After it is frozen dip the pieces in a ice cold salt water bath mixed with either corn starch or powdered corn syrup, this will give it a ice film over the frozen fish giving it better protection. The corn starch or corn syrup will help the ice adhere better to the fish and will melt off when you thaw it. Wrap the fish pieces individually in plastic (thicker mil is better) and try to find a wax box to transport it in. You can throw in a couple frozen bottles of water too to keep it colder.

I have done this when travel to the Philippines and it's always still frozen even if travel for a couple days.

Brucewayne

If you can't find a blast freezer to flash freeze it another thing if you want to freeze the fish is to cut it into smaller pieces and and then freeze in a refrigerators freezer, smaller pieces would allow a faster freeze time. After it is frozen dip the pieces in a ice cold salt water bath mixed with either corn starch or powdered corn syrup, this will give it a ice film over the frozen fish giving it better protection. The corn starch or corn syrup will help the ice adhere better to the fish and will melt off when you thaw it. Wrap the fish pieces individually in plastic (thicker mil is better) and try to find a wax box to transport it in. You can throw in a couple frozen bottles of water too to keep it colder.

I have done this when travel to the Philippines and it's always still frozen even if travel for a couple days.

Okay, I might try this method just to see how well it works.

dc3driver

Too bad, it would be fun to go out on occasion.

tim1967

when i get to RP. i do plan on doing alot of fishing (14 months from now) so i hope this thread is still attive then

• Like 1

BFHammer

That seems crazy tossing the shark meat.  Shark with garlic and butter is delicious. 

Celestial Being

Is this topic still on? This could be a good thing to take the kids and enjoy fishing.

• Like 1

Headshot
2 hours ago, Celestial Being said:

Is this topic still on? This could be a good thing to take the kids and enjoy fishing.

Unfortunately, Big Rob AKA DeezNuz (who used to organize the fishing trips) died. Nobody has since taken on that responsibility. Pretty much nobody else in the history of LinC Forums has had the business and political connections that Big Rob had.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 2

Celestial Being
Just now, Headshot said:

Unfortunately, Big Rob AKA DeezNuz (who used to organize the fishing trips) died. Nobody has since taken on that responsibility. Pretty much nobody else in the history of LinC Forums has had the business and political connections that Big Rob had.

Thats too bad