• Mailman

• broden

• Jay

• D_D

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Admin (Retired)
broden

At least you can envision that far ahead. I still can't get past the mating process. I would either need a step ladder for a male chihuahua or a buttload of sympathy for a female chihuahua. :welcome2:

oh well i just figured you already owned some kind of special harness or something

Heh. The two breeds are an odd pair, eh? I want the chihuahua because I am secure enough in my masculinity to pamper a small dog in public and the rotweiler to masticate the nutsack of anyone who wishes to laugh at me about it. :welcome2:

Seriously though, I'm not really looking to obtain both... or at least not at this time. I'm really just looking into the availability of either at the moment.

My daughter is two years old (going on three) and probably will be an only child. We are looking into the prospects of a puppy as a playmate but haven't decided if we just want a 'toy dog' or one that will double as a protector.

Thanks, Jay.

Some questions for you if you don't mind:

• Does he deal with chihuahuas and/or rotweilers? Or have connections that do?
  • Do the puppies come with papers and shots? Pre-dewormed?
  • How much did you pay for the doberman pup?

I will be sure to give him a text.

#1: I can't say. he has different breeds of pups. He had a couple of Belgian Malinois around a year old and a Shi Tzu when we were there. You'd have to ask him about Rotwuahuas. :)

#2: dewormed and 5-in-1 shots. the number of shots and dewormings depends on the puppy's age. You'll have to ask about papers- Rahab doesn't have any, but that doesn't matter to us as we got her for a pet and watchdog, not to breed.

#3: P5500. He said that for a registered puppy with papers we'd be spending around P12000. He gave us a choke chain, a ballet skirt for her (!), vitamins and some of the puppy kibble he'd been feeding her, then he walked with us down the street to show us where to catch a taxi and to say goodbye to Rahab. He takes good care of the dogs while he has them.

Also, I suggest you take a look at http://www.istorya.net/forums/pets/ . That's how we found Rahab.

Edited by Jay

2 year old daughter plus rotweiller ..yes that could work.

my famous next door neighbour got a rotweiller.... he now stays caged 24/7 because his owner cant physically restrain it on walks anymore... gotta laugh.

That's the owner's fault, not the dog's. I bet they left him caged most of the time except for walks, rather than letting him get properly socialized and taking him to an obedience class to teach him things like walking to heel on a leash. I'm taking Rahab to her first class (the clicker training ones, sponsored by a local dog club) tomorrow morning. I don't know what good having a dog does as far as security goes if they have to leave him caged all the time. If I had my way that owner would be locked in a small cage 24x7 for a few weeks to see how he likes it.:welcome2:

#1: I can't say. he has different breeds of pups. He had a couple of Belgian Malinois around a year old and a Shi Tzu when we were there. You'd have to ask him about Rotwuahuas. :)

#2: dewormed and 5-in-1 shots. the number of shots and dewormings depends on the puppy's age. You'll have to ask about papers- Rahab doesn't have any, but that doesn't matter to us as we got her for a pet and watchdog, not to breed.

#3: P5500. He said that for a registered puppy with papers we'd be spending around P12000. He gave us a choke chain, a ballet skirt for her (!), vitamins and some of the puppy kibble he'd been feeding her, then he walked with us down the street to show us where to catch a taxi and to say goodbye to Rahab. He takes good care of the dogs while he has them.

Thanks for your reply.

I got in touch with him yesterday. He says he only has Belgian Malinois, Miniture Pinchers, and Tzu-poodles. He also says that he doesn't know anyone who deals with either chihuahuas or rottweilers. :welcome2:

Currently looking into the guy Diver Douglas mentioned. He currently has rottweilers.

I love rotties, I have had two. But I will never have one in the hot climate of Ph Please don't buy one, imagine yourself running around in a black fur coat! Couple that with the fact that dogs has at best half the sweat glands we have, so shedding heat is a major problem for all breeds.

Getting a dog is easy, as (I imagine) there are tons of em running around on the streets, just pick a puppy street dog. I live in Romania ATM and did that, she is a lovely mid size dog that loves me to bits for giving here food and a home. (she is now living with a foster family as I am heading to Cebu) There is also a high chance that the street breed is more tuned to the climate by natural selection.

So for the love of God pleas don't buy a Rottweiler!!! let me quote from a random selected google search on rottweilers ; amrottclub.org/introduc.htm "CLIMATE REQUIREMENTS: The Rottweiler can tolerate cool temperatures better then excessive heat. The dog may never be left outside in direct sun during the summer: heat strokes comes on very quickly because of the black coat color."

If u love dogs in general pick a street puppy, if u love rotties don't have on, cos u love the breed and u don't want to torture it. And don't buy a Rott puppy cos it is already born, if u do that you proliferate breeding and soon a new batch of puppies are born.

Edited by Runian

I love rotties, I have had two. But I will never have one in the hot climate of Ph Please don't buy one, imagine yourself running around in a black fur coat! Couple that with the fact that dogs has at best half the sweat glands we have, so shedding heat is a major problem for all breeds.

Getting a dog is easy, as (I imagine) there are tons of em running around on the streets, just pick a puppy street dog. I live in Romania ATM and did that, she is a lovely mid size dog that loves me to bits for giving here food and a home. (she is now living with a foster family as I am heading to Cebu) There is also a high chance that the street breed is more tuned to the climate by natural selection.

So for the love of God pleas don't buy a Rottweiler!!! let me quote from a random selected google search on rottweilers ; amrottclub.org/introduc.htm CLIMATE REQUIREMENTS: The Rottweiler can tolerate cool temperatures better then excessive heat. The dog may never be left outside in direct sun during the summer: heat strokes comes on very quickly because of the black coat color."

If u love dogs in general pick a street puppy, if u love rotties don't have on, cos u love the breed and u don't want to torture it. And don't buy a Rott puppy cos it is already born, if u do that you proliferate breeding and soon a new batch of puppies are born.

Thanks for you concern.

There were a few other sentences in that CLIMATE REQUIREMENT you had posted but failed to include:

Your breeder should be able to advise you on precautions to take for your local climate. The dog must have shelter from the elements, regardless of the locale. In warm to hot weather, taking a thermos of cool water should be automatic whenever you and your dog go out, it can save his life.

I can assure you that the dog will be well taken care of. Including, but not limited to, plenty of fresh, cool water and suitable shelter from the sun's glaring rays.

I am, most definitely, NOT interested in extracting spawn from any of the mangy, teetering-on-feral mutts that proliferate here. Do feel free to come by and round up all the strays in my area for your own ownership needs though. :biggrin_01:

The rest of the 'anti-rottweiler in the Philippines' rant would probably be better served if it were directed towards the Philippines Rottweiler Club rather than me.

Your last line confuses me a bit; am I supposed to buy a rottweiler that isn't born? :o

Your last line confuses me a bit; am I supposed to buy a rottweiler that isn't born? :welcome2:

What I mean with the last line is, if u buy a puppy, a new one has to be made to keep up supply.

And as far as ranting to the Rottweiler clube goes, that will be futile. Anyone selling a profitable product will do so, as long as there are people buying it.

Further more I do not say or think that u will be a bad dog owner, I don't know you. I just strongly believe that a hot and humid climate like the Ph is not the right place to have a Rottie. That is even if u keep it in the shade, cos it is still sweltering hot and humid there. But don't take my word for it, put on a black shirt and black suit and take a walk in the sun, then try to cool of by sitting in the shade. You can even take a bottle of water and pore over your head if u want to. Now if u find that insufferable, imagine living like that.

Now If u are still hell bent on having a Rottweiler u may have one for free. Call the Rottweiler club and make a note of it in there forum, asking if they have one u can hold. A deal like that may give u a dog for keeps if the owner is given the right to breed it. And also u can ask for an orphan semi-adult. Now I say semi-adult cos of the way Rotties bond to there host family. Mostly the dog will bond strongly to only one person, seeing that person as it's emirate superior in it's pack, regarding everyone else as there equal or subordinate. (it will at one point regardless, challenge your authority)

Sorry for going on and on, but I am good with dogs and I love Rottweilers

Runian has some good points, but a Rotty can still be pretty comfortable in the Philippine climate as long as he has proper and reasonably cool (or moderate temperature) shelter during the hottest part of the day, and as long as you take him on walks or runs early in the morning before the sun comes up completely or in the early evening after the sun goes down. We will be getting another Rotty pup when we travel to Cebu City near the end of May, and we will keep him in a shady or reasonably cool area in our house or in the vicinity of our indoor pool during the hot part of the day. Runian is correct that a dog can heat up a lot faster with a dark coat, but a good conscientious owner will take the right precautions to keep his dog comfortable and safe. Mailman, it is good to see that you are not discouraged and are taking a good common sense approach toward the acquisition and care of your future dog(s). Now, one breed of dog that I have also had and that I also have a very high regard for but would NEVER own in a hot tropical climate is a Siberian Husky because it would truly be absolutely miserable in the Philippines due to the thickness of its coat. Rottys can handle cold weather pretty well but can also handle hot weather with no major problems under the right circumstances.

I do not discount that fact that a black dog absorbs heat from the sun far more effectively than a lighter colored dog. I watched Mr. Wizard as a child. :D

Acclimatization plays a big part as well. A dog that was born from a line that has been established in the Philippines for a number of generations will also fare better than a dog recently transplanted from a more temperate climate.

-----------

I would agree with you, Joe, about that heavy coat. I have seen some Huskies running around our area. Most look like they have been mixed a bit with something else though.

On a lighter note, I have also seen Filipinos running around while wearing ski hats and jackets. :D

Runian is correct that a dog can heat up a lot faster with a dark coat, but a good conscientious owner will take the right precautions to keep his dog comfortable and safe.

I have 4 American Cocker Spaniels, 3 Black, 1 Chocolate Brown and I have an outside fan I keep on during the day.

They spend most of their time there during the hottest part of the day so there are ways to keep your dogs cool.

I still want a Great Dane... Let's see the neighborhood try to enforce their big dog rule then... I just find it funny that they pass a big dog rule thinking that it is the big dogs that do all the barking even though it is the puny lap dogs and inbred Filipino dogs who bark. The big dogs will not make a noise until they are right behind you....Mwuahahahaha!

-Nick

• 3 weeks later...

Would anyone happen to know of any breeders or kennels in the Cebu area offering puppies for sale (currently or soon-to-be)?

I am interested in Chihuahuas and Rotweilers specifically.

There is a lot of very nice Rottweilers in Dumaguete City. Many ! They also have some really nice imported ones for breeding.

You should check it out. I have bought 3 from Dumaguete. Also a lot of Miniature Pinchers there. ( They are nice in Black and Tan)

. And much easier to find than Chihuahuas.

BEWARE ! Here in PI inbreeded dogs get registered and get papers. So check carefully the papers of the parents !

You dont want to end up with a crazy inbreed Rottweiler as a buddy for your kids !

Good luck mate, and Rottweilers are awesome dogs.

What I mean with the last line is, if u buy a puppy, a new one has to be made to keep up supply.

And as far as ranting to the Rottweiler clube goes, that will be futile. Anyone selling a profitable product will do so, as long as there are people buying it.

Further more I do not say or think that u will be a bad dog owner, I don't know you. I just strongly believe that a hot and humid climate like the Ph is not the right place to have a Rottie. That is even if u keep it in the shade, cos it is still sweltering hot and humid there. But don't take my word for it, put on a black shirt and black suit and take a walk in the sun, then try to cool of by sitting in the shade. You can even take a bottle of water and pore over your head if u want to. Now if u find that insufferable, imagine living like that.

Now If u are still hell bent on having a Rottweiler u may have one for free. Call the Rottweiler club and make a note of it in there forum, asking if they have one u can hold. A deal like that may give u a dog for keeps if the owner is given the right to breed it. And also u can ask for an orphan semi-adult. Now I say semi-adult cos of the way Rotties bond to there host family. Mostly the dog will bond strongly to only one person, seeing that person as it's emirate superior in it's pack, regarding everyone else as there equal or subordinate. (it will at one point regardless, challenge your authority)

Sorry for going on and on, but I am good with dogs and I love Rottweilers

I have a black Lab with a much heavier coat than a Rottweiler and she does just fine. I think it depends on the living conditions involved. Mine has cool shady areas in the yard and she also stays inside the house when it's hot outside. I also have a Jack Russell and a mutt who are happy and healthy.

We just love our dog.

Here is our dog "Fluffy" playing with our neighbors new puppy:

Fluffy.jpg