Sign in to follow this  
kahala

SIM Cards And Tri Band

kahala

Say if i buy an unlocked triband sim phone from say e-bay and bring it to th R.P. do I then just buy a sim card when I arrive to use it in the islands?

jimmynug
Say if i buy an unlocked triband sim phone from say e-bay and bring it to th R.P. do I then just buy a sim card when I arrive to use it in the islands?

Yep. Get the simm card and a load and you are all set.

T.S.

Make sure it is 900/1800/1900 Triband.

Used Cingular Triband phones will be 800/1800/1900 and won't be able to use the 900mhz signal in the Philippines.

You are looking for a GSM phone, not a sim phone. That is what they will be listed as online and anywhere else that you are looking for one. ;)

jimmynug
Make sure it is 900/1800/1900 Triband

Absolutely right on this.

Used Cingular Triband phones will be 800/1800/1900 and won't be able to use the 900mhz signal in the Philippines.

Not correct here. Not all Cingulars are 800. I took my Cingular Triband phone to the Philippines, had it unlocked, put in a smart simm, and it worked like a charm. May be just some of them are wrong. But anyway, just make sure it has 900 like what T.S. already stated and you'll be okay.

T.S.
Not correct here. Not all Cingulars are 800. I took my Cingular Triband phone to the Philippines, had it unlocked, put in a smart simm, and it worked like a charm. May be just some of them are wrong. But anyway, just make sure it has 900 like what T.S. already stated and you'll be okay.

All are that I have seen are 800/1800/1900 because some big parts of Cingulars U.S. network is 800(850)mhz.

It is possible that you used a 800/1800/1900 phone in the Philippines without noticing a problem since as far as I know 1800mhz is mostly used in the cities and 900mhz is mostly used in some of the farther out less populated areas.

ThePhils

If i understand u right u

jimmynug

T.S., i do stand corrected. Mine is 850, but it must be close enough, because it worked fine, even in the provinces of Mindanao. Heck if i know why.

pepe4158

Hey bud, buy it in the US uless you are filipino. You will possibly get ripped on the price; I bought two in the USA before I came, gave one to the old lady now, and glad that was one of the few smart moves I made before comming. I searched all over the pomona valley for one but finnaly found a quad band unlocked sim phone.

ThePhils
Hey bud, buy it in the US uless you are filipino. You will possibly get ripped on the price; I bought two in the USA before I came, gave one to the old lady now, and glad that was one of the few smart moves I made before comming. I searched all over the pomona valley for one but finnaly found a quad band unlocked sim phone.

Pepe !

U do have a point..... buying a New cell phone in the Phils could sometimes mean u

Jim Sibbick

In that case, you send your Filipina friend to buy the phone for you!

But, even for foreigners, refurbished Nokia 3315's were selling for less than P900 at Optus near SM Mall last week.

post-12-1167018484_thumb.jpg

Regards: Jim