'A government run like heaven by Americans'

'A government run like heaven by Americans'

By Carmen Guerrero Nakpil (The Philippine Star) Updated December 07, 2009 12:00 AM

arts2.jpg

US General Arthur McArthur (second from left) with members of his staff outside Malaca

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Willie

• udonthani

• Cipro

• sandwindstars

Things aren't so bad here. Afterall, there are about thirty super wealthy families doing quite well.

smokey

Things aren't so bad here. Afterall, there are about thirty super wealthy families doing quite well.

much better now war lords run a tight ship .

The writer ignores or is ignorant of the fact that voters in America had similar restrictions as he notes in his diatribe. It was the way of the times. He makes it sound as if the US set rules in place that were designed for the PI only.

udonthani

+also known to Americans as an "insurrection" but to modern historians as "the First Vietnam"+

only sloppy historians. For decades, the Filipine insurection was held up as the textbook anti-insurgency, until the defeat of the Malaya insurgency half a century later provided a more modern example of how to crush one.

+also known to Americans as an "insurrection" but to modern historians as "the First Vietnam"+

only sloppy historians. For decades, the Filipine insurection was held up as the textbook anti-insurgency, until the defeat of the Malaya insurgency half a century later provided a more modern example of how to crush one.

udonthani: yesterday a world class economist; tonight the world's great historian.

:lmao:

udonthani

see :

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife

http://americanpundit.blog-city.com/learning_to_eat_soup_with_a_knife__counterinsurgency_lessons.htm

the total defeat of the Malayan insurgency helped to create south east Asia's most stable government. Show me somewhere else where there's been elections every four years without fail like clockwork since independence.

see :

Learning to Eat Soup with a Knife

http://americanpundi...ncy_lessons.htm

the total defeat of the Malayan insurgency helped to create south east Asia's most stable government. Show me somewhere else where there's been elections every four years without fail like clockwork since independence.

Not sure I can ever learn to accept your misunderstanding of logic, but I know John Nagl, back when he was Colonel (now Doctor). I discussed his dissertation (from which this book was written) with him when he was a student at Oxford and I was teaching at West Point. Last I heard, he still fights the spread of insurgencies. We share some theory. Now I fight the insurgent spread of infectious diseases.

During my last military operation, a copy of lessons learned from a very young Officer's paper was circulated among the leadership. Many of us highlighted the draft with comments of what we thought were useful -- critiques, insights. But the last word came from our wise old operations officer, much too old (and distinguished) to be detailed to that banana republic, whose two-sentence critique arose in my mind as I finished John's dissertation: A good report on lessons learned. Unfortunately they are the same lessons we learned on the last dozen deployments.

Edited by Slick Willie
JamesMusslewhite

Slick Willie

Please I have a few questions of genuine interest. I had heard some statements before but do not know their validity because I do not know if they are based on actual fact. You seemed to be well versed on the subject, so I hope you could shed some light on the subject.

Was the Philippines offered Statehood before Hawaii? and when the US turned over the Philippines, was it considered one if not the strongest economies in Asia? What happened? Who or what is the blame for the backslide in the Asian standing? What has to happen to bring about that change?

Respectfully Submitted,

James

Slick Willie

Please I have a few questions of genuine interest. I had heard some statements before but do not know their validity because I do not know if they are based on actual fact. You seemed to be well versed on the subject, so I hope you could shed some light on the subject.

Was the Philippines offered Statehood before Hawaii? and when the US turned over the Philippines, was it considered one if not the strongest economies in Asia? What happened? Who or what is the blame for the backslide in the Asian standing? What has to happen to bring about that change?

Respectfully Submitted,

James

James, Philippine history is not my thing so I probably know less about it, with the possible exception of public health, than many on this forum, with the certain exception of udonthani. Hopefully they will chime in here. Although I have never researched the topic, it is my understanding that "51st statehood" movements (could have been either 49, 50 or 51 here?) did occur, sometime calling for only inclusion of the northern territories. Regarding the possibility of decline having occurred here, I believe that it is real and has happened. This could easily confirmed by looking at historical data, but at the moment I lack the time to do so. I can offer a simplistic abstract explanation that I believe to be true. IMHO, this has occurred because social values and norms created bad, corrupt social institutions, especially the church so the family thus communities, and so governments at all levels -- local, state, federal. Why has this happened? Colonialism, especially of the Spanish sort. In this regard what has transpired in the PI is almost identical to Latin America, in which almost every country is still reeling from hundreds of years of Spanish rule. OK udanthani, your turn, go!

Edited by Slick Willie

I guess I still don't see the point the article is trying to make.

I guess I still don't see the point the article is trying to make.

It's a widespread attack, huh? But probably more than anything, it seems to wind around and up to the last sentence. Hopefully those more in the know will chime in...

It's a widespread attack, huh?

It seems to be quite a complaint without offering any suggestions. Basically "everything anyone has done has sucked because you're all evil".

It seems to be quite a complaint without offering any suggestions. Basically "everything anyone has done has sucked because you're all evil".

Typical journalist. I just posted it because it seemed to offer a little history. I like to post content to a forum. It can't hurt, and the forum needs content. Mine is not for all, maybe just a few, but I'll offer. I've decided to try to post mostly good news or general interest, like this. There is so much bad news about the Philippines, and I used to post that -- it's easy to find and seductive -- until I realized I was just reinforcing negative thinking here for some, including me. So now I've started to search google news for "philippines" in an effort to find good news. But it's not easy! There doesn't seem to be much positive news that's also interesting to read. But I'll keep trying.

Typical journalist. I just posted it because it seemed to offer a little history. I like to post content to a forum.

It does offer some interesting potential fodder for some Wikipedia stumbles.