Sign in to follow this  
Jay

Already vs. already

Angie

The Bisayan word karon can mean both 'today' and 'now'. :D

Yes, very good, Mailman.

In order for you to understand what the word really means in a conversation, you have to analyze the context first.

Example:

A: Kanus-a ang kasal? (When is the wedding?)

B: Karon. (Today.)

A: Kanus-a siya motawag? (When will he call?)

B: Karon. (Now.)

A; Pagpalit ug bugas. (Buy some rice.)

B: Kanus-a? (when?)

A: Karon dayon. (Right now.)

ashlogcreek

Thanks Angie, don't stop now, i'm writing furiously......lol

Angie

Thanks Angie, don't stop now, i'm writing furiously......lol

If you want more, go to the Language Forum, I have written stuff there.

If you have questions, feel free to ask me.

chimellie

My sister in-law once told me : " my chicken already was dead last week " , so I asked her : " was dead ? when did he come back to life ?".......She said :" no no, he was already dead, not come back..patay......" My wife fell to the ground and laughing so hard . I was sitting there confused.

Jay

Yes, very good, Mailman.

In order for you to understand what the word really means in a conversation, you have to analyze the context first.

Example:

A: Kanus-a ang kasal? (When is the wedding?)

B: Karon. (Today.)

A: Kanus-a siya motawag? (When will he call?)

B: Karon. (Now.)

A; Pagpalit ug bugas. (Buy some rice.)

B: Kanus-a? (when?)

A: Karon dayon. (Right now.)

Karon dayon is one phrase that I know well. Karen and I have a private joke, based on the movie The Addams Family. She asks me to do something and I say, "What's the magic word?" "Karon dayon!" :welcome2:

Athena

"What's the magic word?" "Karon dayon!" smile.gif

And did it work????????????? maybe ill try it with my children - change the "please" magic word to "karon dayon" thumbsup.gif

Jay

And did it work????????????? maybe ill try it with my children - change the "please" magic word to "karon dayon" thumbsup.gif

Bear in mind that it's Karen saying it to me. :welcome2:

JorgeHernandez

When I started to learn some Tagalog, I had difficulties to understand the usage of "na" = already and "pa" = still. Most sentences include one of these short words, they are kind of "overused" in a foreigner's eyes. When translated to English, most Filipinos tend to translate word by word, hence the presence of "already" and "still" in many English sentences.

To understand this, just keep in mind that "already" means, the situation started and will last some time, while "still" means, the present situation lasted a longer time. Or in a simple scheme:

ALREADY: START---NOW------------------------------------------------EXPECTED END

STILL: START--------------------------------------NOW----EXPECTED END

So, when the chicken died "already", the situation of the chicken being dead started short time ago and will last longer, perhaps forever.

Another point is "until now", what can confuse a westerner. For us it sounds as if the situation stops now or will stop soon, while the Filipino wants to say that the situation lasted and will continue. When a Filipino says: "Until now I love you" he/she means "I have been loving you and will continue to love you".

budbrown

Hi everybody. Here's my two cents. I know from my wife's mistakes in English that she has "first language interference" such as when she says "My husband, she's a teacher" I know she's thinking "Asawa ko maestro siya" and (siya sounding like "shee-ah") Siya can mean "he" or "she". NA can mean "now or "already" So when I hear "already" being used in awkward ways I believe she's thinking in Tagalog again. For example "Halika na!" meaning "Come here!" (na = now/already) or "Anong horas na?" meaning "What time is it? (now/already) . I may be way off base, but hey, I'm just a "kano" what do I know? (hehe)

Bud