Sign in to follow this  
Angie

Dili Versus Wala

Angie

Which one should I use to politely tell someone offering me something (like a street vendor or taxi driver) or a beggar "no"? Dili or wala?

If someone is offering you something, say Dili "Dili ko mopalit." meaning I will not buy.

If a beggar is asking some money from you, say Wala "Wala ko'y kwarta." meaning I don't have any money. If you want to say "I will not give." say Dili, "Dili ko mohatag."

Paul
Bad kaayo ka, Paul!!! :biggrin_01:

If you are talking to someone who can easily guess what you're trying to say, it will be ok. But some people don't want to take the time to even guess what you're saying, so they are most likely to either ignore you or laugh at you.

Well, not to argue with the teacher here... but for the past eight years it seems to have worked for me. After all, I'm not trying to speak to Tagalogs, only Cebuanos. :) What Cebuano wouldn't understand me if I asked, "Gutom naka?" Honestly, I haven't had one laugh at me yet, although, I suppose it could happen in the future.

Let me ask you this way. If I were to communicate with you (Angie) in that manner, would you understand me, or not? Of course you would. That's all that matters to me. :)

After all, you must agree that many Filipinos are verbally lazy. This, to me, means they are simply more efficient at getting their points across than are westerners. :)

chimellie

How do u say:"I love her, but she loves someone else" in Cebuano.

Salamat

Angie

How do u say:"I love her, but she loves someone else" in Cebuano.

Salamat

Gihigugma nako siya pero lain ang iya'ng gihigugma.

Angie

Let me ask you this way. If I were to communicate with you (Angie) in that manner, would you understand me, or not? Of course you would. That's all that matters to me. :D

After all, you must agree that many Filipinos are verbally lazy. This, to me, means they are simply more efficient at getting their points across than are westerners. :D

When I was still teaching Koreans, I have learned to guess what they were trying to say and most of them believed that Filipino teachers are very good at reading their minds. If you talked to me that way, I would surely understand.

Yes, Filipinos are known for their being indolent that even in talking they tend to cut things/words short.

In my classes, I basically teach my students the proper way of saying things and when they have mastered them, that's when I teach them how to say things in shorter versions. I don't encourage them to memorize lines and phrases because the moment they forget one thing, they forget everything. As much as possible, I want them to be able to construct their own sentences based on different situations.

Athena

For example, "Chi, gutom naka?" Chi, are you hungry?

Pila emong edad? How old are you?

Iyot ta? LOL Nevermind what that one means. I'm just being bad.

Anyway, I keep it simple.

tsk, tsk............ such finisse, its overwhelming..... rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

Angie

Few Basic Questions:

Unsa'y imo'ng ngalan?/Unsa'y ngalan nimo? (What's your name?)

Pila'y imo'ng idad?/Pila'y idad nimo? (How old are you? = contextual/How much is your age? = literal)

Asa ka nagpuyo? (Where do you live?/Where are you residing?)

Taga-diin ka? (From where are you?/Where are you from?)

Minyo ka ba? (Are you married?)

Ulitawo/Dalaga ka ba? (Are you single? = contextual/Are you bachelor/spinster? = literal)

Unsa'y imo'ng trabaho?/Unsa'y trabaho nimo? What's your job?

Edited by Angie

Paul

tsk, tsk............ such finisse, its overwhelming..... rolleyes.gifsmile.gif

That's okay. At least I make it a point to learn Cebuano. How many foreigners in this country, do you know, who take time to learn any of the languages of the Philippines? Not many, for sure. Hell, I know guys (foreigners) who have lived here as long, if not longer than I have, who know very little Cebuano.

One guy I met has lived here for 25 years. He can't say something as simple as, "kumusta man ka, day?"

Athena

That's okay. At least I make it a point to learn Cebuano. How many foreigners in this country, do you know, who take time to learn any of the languages of the Philippines? Not many, for sure. Hell, I know guys (foreigners) who have lived here as long, if not longer than I have, who know very little Cebuano.

One guy I met has lived here for 25 years. He can't say something as simple as, "kumusta man ka, day?"

hey common.... dont take it seriously..... im not really annoyed with you .... i was hoping for a witty come back from you not some misery guts....... peace brother grim ..... biggrin_01.gif

chimellie

You must be kidding me ?? 25 year and couldn't say that ????? I don't feel so bad now, I don't even live there and I kind of guess what my wife saying to her friends most of the time, just some words here and there.

If Angie keeps giving us free lessons, I will be really good by the next time I go back to Cebu.

Thanks to Angie, I am bring something for you (Angie ) on my next trip.....Asa ka nagpuyo ? Cebu ?

I think all expats should learn how to to speak Cebuano because not all Filipinos can speak English and we should'nt expect them to learn our language since we live in their country...Remember we said to foreigners " speak English" when they speak their own language in the US ?

Edited by chimellie

Paul
hey common.... dont take it seriously..... im not really annoyed with you .... i was hoping for a witty come back from you not some misery guts....... peace brother grim ..... biggrin_01.gif

No misery guts here. I take my learning of Cebuano quite seriously. I do it out of respect for Cebuanos.

You must be kidding me ?? 25 year and couldn't say that ????? I don't feel so bad now, I don't even live there and I kind of guess what my wife saying to her friends most of the time, just some words here and there.

Chi, I wish I were joking. There are guys here, lots of them with more years under their belts than me, yet they can't understand anything Fiipinos say around them. It's just too easy for these foreigners to speak English in country. That's why many foreigners don't learn Cebuano.

Man, when I see a new Cebuano, perhaps in business, it is so cool to see the look on their face when I approach and speak, if only just a little Cebuano to them. The funny part is, much of the time, they expect us (foreigners) to speak English. So, I often have to repeat myself. If they do not know me, they are not prepared to receive what I speak in Cebuano, but rather in English. :)

rainymike

Dili Versus Wala

So, if a beggar approaches you, say, "Wala ko'y kwarta! Dili ko datu, pobre ko!"

Ahhh ... another mystery solved. I was really confused about the two words.

Bob Ward

But what's hard to communicate via written media is the pronunciation. The word wala has two meanings depending upon the pronunciation. Saying it like wa-lah (last syllable soft and a bit elongated) means left, saying wa-la with a very short and crisp last syllable means you don't have xxx! It's a bit tricky at times.

There are quite a few words like this is Cebuano like taas. Accent on the first syllable means up, upstairs or the like, depending on context. Accent on the second syllable means tall or long depending on the context. :)

Then there are the ever shortening words which are always present in Cebuano. A simple example is halang (spicy or hot)which can be pronounced simply hang. Or sulod (inside or come in) can be used as just sud. It makes me crazy sometimes. I think it's just a conspiracy to keep us off guard. They just decided to change it after we learned a little! LOL Joke lang!

Angie

But what's hard to communicate via written media is the pronunciation. The word wala has two meanings depending upon the pronunciation. Saying it like wa-lah (last syllable soft and a bit elongated) means left, saying wa-la with a very short and crisp last syllable means you don't have xxx! It's a bit tricky at times.

There are quite a few words like this is Cebuano like taas. Accent on the first syllable means up, upstairs or the like, depending on context. Accent on the second syllable means tall or long depending on the context. :)

Then there are the ever shortening words which are always present in Cebuano. A simple example is halang (spicy or hot)which can be pronounced simply hang. Or sulod (inside or come in) can be used as just sud. It makes me crazy sometimes. I think it's just a conspiracy to keep us off guard. They just decided to change it after we learned a little! LOL Joke lang!

That's why it's difficult to learn the language by yourself. You will always need the aid of a live teacher, that's me, hahahahahaha....

The word "wala" meaning "left" has no accent at all. The other one is pronounced this way "wal

Angie

Thanks to Angie, I am bring something for you (Angie ) on my next trip.....Asa ka nagpuyo ? Cebu ?

Wala'y sapayan, Chi. Oo, sa Cebu ko nagpuyo, sa Bulacao, silingan ra ta.

Let me know if you don't understand this.